Stolen iPhone 5 stolen then recovered after i had already received new phone. What to do now?

tvfd27

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my iPhone 5 in a gas station parking lot and drove off without noticing. I made it about a mile down the road before noticing it was missing. I turned around and went back to the gas station, about 3 minutes had passed since I dropped it and returned to get it. Someone had already picked it up. I attempted to call the phone a few times and sent some texts to it with no avail. I was in a rural area with no way to use "find my iPhone". The phone was eventually turned off because I attempted another call and it went straight to voicemail. I ended up contacting AT&T and had the phone locked and reported stolen and made a claim to get a new phone. A friend of mine had someone try to sell him the phone 15 days after I let it, he recognized the background picture and wouldn't give the person the phone back. I got the phone back and contacted AT&T to see about a refund and was redirected to Asurion. They advised me that the grace period was seven days, and I was well past that. Is there anything I can do with the recovered phone since it can't be used by anybody else? Is there a repair company or any other services that will buy the phone for parts, since it is now pretty much worthless to me or anybody else?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
sorry to hear about what happened

its sad that more people can't be honest I gave back a total of two cellphones over the years that I found and would hope the same courtesy will come my way if the superglue ever wears off my hand

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
You did a claim with Asurion - the recovered device should be sent to them.
Only if they will refund his deductible if he does that. From what he has posted, it sounds like they are saying they won't unless it was within 7 days.

I would call Asurion and explain the situation to them and see if you can get your deductible back if you send in the recovered iPhone.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Only if they will refund his deductible if he does that. From what he has posted, it sounds like they are saying they won't unless it was within 7 days.

I would call Asurion and explain the situation to them and see if you can get your deductible back if you send in the recovered iPhone.

To get the deductible back, he'd have to return the device they sent them... and it's past the time limit on doing that.

Bottom line... there is no "negotiation" to be done. The terms of the Asurion agreement state quite clearly if you lose a phone, and they replace it for you - and you recover the lost device, the recovered/lost device needs to be sent to them.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
To get the deductible back, he'd have to return the device they sent them... and it's past the time limit on doing that.

Bottom line... there is no "negotiation" to be done. The terms of the Asurion agreement state quite clearly if you lose a phone, and they replace it for you - and you recover the lost device, the recovered/lost device needs to be sent to them.
I am going to call on that to double check because that doesn't seem fair. You should at least be able to get a prorated deductible back.

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Fair? They replaced a phone that YOU dropped and lost for a fraction of the cost of a replacement. Now you feel your entitled to your money back? "Hey thanks for the loaner phone" yeah seems legit. You could always just keep and sell the phone, in which case you would be selling stolen property, but that's fair right? I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume your a college kid or younger and this is how you were taught the world works, it's okay not your fault. It's not how the world works though. Just sayin'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you understand how insurance works.
Actually, I do and I just spoke to an Asurion rep. He said, as long as it is relatively close to the 7 days (he wouldn't give me a specific number of days but I got the feeling within 30 days would be close enough) they would accept the replacement phone back and refund the deductible. He said the first line reps don't have the authority to do it but they could forward your call to the returns department and a rep in the returns department does have the authority to do it.

Basically you would be asking for an exception to the standard 7 day return period and they do grant those depending on the circumstances. So once again, it never hurts to call. The closer you are to the 7 day return window, the more likely you are to get your deductible back when you return the replacement phone.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
lets all be Fair here....if its the case that you should return the phone than so be it....but don't glorify Insurance replacement companies that charge you a monthly fee if thats the case with this company and then charge you a huge deductible

i don't buy replacement insurance from sprint anymore as there monthly cost goes up because they have alot of claims then they want you to jump thru hoops with a police report like your trying to rob them as i assume some do....when i got my iphone 5 they asked me if i wanted insurance and i asked the normal questions and found that the deductible went up to two hundred dollars when it was increased to a hundred dollars only a few years ago and i said no but low and behold when my bill came in and i looked it over and not all people do i noticed the 11 dollar charge way down on the bottom of the page....

so dont believe that the carriers and the insurance companies aren't ripping customers off because it happens all the times

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I do and I just spoke to an Asurion rep. He said, as long as it is relatively close to the 7 days (he wouldn't give me a specific number of days but I got the feeling within 30 days would be close enough) they would accept the lost/stolen phone back and refund the deductible. He said the first line reps don't have the authority to do it but they could forward your call to the returns department and a rep in the returns department does have the authority to do it.

Basically you would be asking for an exception to the standard 7 day return period and they do grant those depending on the circumstances. So once again, it never hurts to call. The closer you are to the 7 day return window, the more likely you are to get your deductible back when you return the lost/stolen phone.

Getting a deductible back or not is irrelevant to the circumstances being discussed.

Bottom line still remains that a recovered lost device that was replaced on an insurance claim should be sent to the insurance company.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Getting a deductible back or not is irrelevant to the circumstances being discussed.
It is totally relevant. It is what the OP cares about, I think. Maybe not, but that is what I thought.

Also, I edited my post after you quoted me because I think it is the replacement phone that they would want back, not the lost/stolen phone. But I could be wrong on that and the OP would need to check with Asurion.

Again, it is the returns department you would need to speak to in order for a rep to have the authority to accept the phone back after the 7 days and refund the deductible. If it is the replacement phone they want back, then of course you would have to have them unblacklist your recovered phone.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Bottom line
The bottom line is to just call Asurion and see what they can do for you. When I called I was told the 7 day rule is not the bottom line. They make exceptions. Whether or not they will make an exception for the OP depends on how long past the 7 days he is.

Also, double check whether it is the replacement phone or the recovered phone they would want back and if it is the replacement phone, then of course ask about what they are going to do about reversing the black listing.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Whether or not they will make an exception for the OP depends on how long past the 7 days he is.
For the record, if Asurion wouldn't make an exception for me and give me a prorated deductible back, I wouldn't send the phone back. I would sell it for parts and wouldn't feel bad about it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
For the record, if Asurion wouldn't make an exception for me and give me a prorated deductible back, I wouldn't send the phone back. I would sell it for parts and wouldn't feel bad about it.
For the record, that is in violation of the Asurion/AT&T service terms and conditions...
http://ec2-174-129-175-61.compute-1...DFs/documents/att/Terms-And-Conditions-MI.pdf -- Scroll to Section 8(VIII)... Paragraph C.
All Covered Property which we replace is the property of CNA and may be disabled, destroyed or reused.

A lost/stolen phone replaced by insurance that is later recovered is property of the insurance company.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
For the record, that is in violation of the Asurion/AT&T service terms and conditions...
http://ec2-174-129-175-61.compute-1...DFs/documents/att/Terms-And-Conditions-MI.pdf -- Scroll to Section 8(VIII)... Paragraph C.

A lost/stolen phone replaced by insurance that is later recovered is property of the insurance company.
That's fine. I still wouldn't feel bad if I sold the thing for parts unless I got back my prorated deductible. I am fine with them not refunding it back in whole, but I should get at least a prorated deductible back if I return the phone to them.