Also, Asurion did not say anything to me about returning the phone, so I'm guessing they do not want it back.

The below information is direct from the Asurion website found HERE.

Q:What do I do with my old device?

Customers are required to return their damaged or defective device using the prepaid shipping label provided with the replacement device. Customers will need to return the damaged or defective device within 10-15 days to avoid non-return charges. If the device was lost or stolen, the requirement to return the device does not apply. However, if the lost device is found, you are required to return it by using the pre-addressed pre-paid return label included with the replacement device.

With that in mind, it is your decision to comply or not to comply. I can only hope that you make the right decision. Enjoy the rest of your day.
    kch50428 and tvfd27 like this.
    04-23-2013 06:54 PM
    If they didn't offer to send you a prepaid label to ship it back or ask for it back when you told them you had it, then they don't want it back. I would not send it back unless they sent you a prepaid label. You have no obligation to incur any additional cost to ship it to them.
    Asurion will provide prepaid shipping to return a device in this situation...
    04-23-2013 06:55 PM
    What I was wondering, is there anything else I can do with the phone as far as selling it for parts to a company that repairs iPhones, or if there was anything else I could do as far making the phone usable again.
    People on ebay sell damaged phones for parts.

I don't know if it can ever be usable again in the US. It may be usable in a foreign country if you can get it SIM unlocked so that it can be used on foreign networks.

I see people selling bad ESN devices on ebay so there must be some value in them.
    04-23-2013 07:00 PM
    I can only hope that you make the right decision.
    I can only hope that Asurion would make the right decision and refund his deductible if he returns the phone.
    04-23-2013 07:03 PM
    I can only hope that Asurion would make the right decision and refund his deductible if he returns the phone.
    With insurance of that type, customers, whether knowingly or unknowingly, pay for the ability to get a replacement phone quickly at a significantly reduced rate if the original phone has been lost, damaged or stolen. Having said that, the OP got "exactly" what he pays Asurion to provide -- A replacement phone at a significantly reduced price. According to the terms of the agreement that he voluntarily agreed to comply with, he is to forfeit his found phone to Asurion. Period! This is not about right or wrong, but about the terms of an agreement that he voluntarily entered in to.
    ecr80, jburke82 and tvfd27 like this.
    04-23-2013 07:26 PM
    This is not about right or wrong, but about the terms of an agreement that he voluntarily entered in to.
    If it is not about right or wrong, why did you hope he would do the right thing?
    04-23-2013 07:31 PM
    If it is not about right or wrong, why did you hope he would do the right thing?
    How can I defend against that on the surface? I can't, but under the context in which I made my statement in my previous reply, I'd like to think you knew my focus was on the OP complying with the terms of his agreement with Asurion in regard to him having to return the found phone even though Asurion reps didn't mention it during his phone conversation.
    04-23-2013 07:38 PM
    I absolutely agree that I got what I paid for. The process was simple, I didn't have to jump through any hoops, make multiple phone calls or wait on hold for a rep. I lost the phone on Saturday and my new phone arrived on Monday. The best part is the fact that I didn't have to revert to buying a flip phone until my upgrade came back around, because buying the iPhone outright was out of my price range. I've had no problems with AT&T's terms or asurion's terms, I think all of their terms are well within reason. All of the reps I talked to were helpful and courteous, and I think they done everything for me that they could. I didn't know to return the phone because Asurion didn't mention it when I made the claim, nor did they mention it when I called and told them that I had recovered the phone. I will gladly return the phone to them if they want it back, because it's worthless to me. If Asurion does not want it back, I would rather it go to hopeline or another organization like them, rather than it just getting trashed. I will contact Asurion in the morning and see if they want the phone or not, and go from there. Thanks for everyone's help.
    kch50428 and Just_Me_D like this.
    04-23-2013 07:56 PM
    I absolutely agree that I got what I paid for. The process was simple, I didn't have to jump through any hoops, make multiple phone calls or wait on hold for a rep. I lost the phone on Saturday and my new phone arrived on Monday. The best part is the fact that I didn't have to revert to buying a flip phone until my upgrade came back around, because buying the iPhone outright was out of my price range. I've had no problems with AT&T's terms or asurion's terms, I think all of their terms are well within reason. All of the reps I talked to were helpful and courteous, and I think they done everything for me that they could. I didn't know to return the phone because Asurion didn't mention it when I made the claim, nor did they mention it when I called and told them that I had recovered the phone. I will gladly return the phone to them if they want it back, because it's worthless to me. If Asurion does not want it back, I would rather it go to hopeline or another organization like them, rather than it just getting trashed. I will contact Asurion in the morning and see if they want the phone or not, and go from there. Thanks for everyone's help.
    waiting for AnroidLuvr2 to come back with some rebuttal.....not!
    04-24-2013 01:45 PM
    Only if they will refund his deductible if he does that. From what he has posted, it sounds like they are saying they won't unless it was within 7 days.

I would call Asurion and explain the situation to them and see if you can get your deductible back if you send in the recovered iPhone.
    Think of it in terms of a phone destroyed by water damage.

You pay the deductible and you send the broken phone in.

Sending the phone in doesn't refund the deductible.
    04-24-2013 08:18 PM
    Find My iPhone can work on places with Internet or Cellular data or contact the prison or your law enforcer that your iPhone is stolen
    Read the whole post next time?
    04-25-2013 08:38 AM
    waiting for AnroidLuvr2 to come back with some rebuttal.....not!
    I have explained my position several times. No rebuttal necessary.
    04-25-2013 09:02 AM
    Think of it in terms of a phone destroyed by water damage.

You pay the deductible and you send the broken phone in.

Sending the phone in doesn't refund the deductible.
    yeah, but asurion already told me on the phone they would do it if you were close enough to the 7 days. Looks like day 15 for the OP was not considered close enough. I got the feeling from the rep I was speaking to that they would do it up to 30 days, however, I did not ask to be connected to the returns department to confirm that.
    04-25-2013 09:03 AM
    yeah, but asurion already told me on the phone they would do it if you were close enough to the 7 days. Looks like day 15 for the OP was not considered close enough. I got the feeling from the rep I was speaking to that they would do it up to 30 days, however, I did not ask to be connected to the returns department to confirm that.
    Are you suggesting he try to send back the phone he received from Asurion and deal with trying to find a way to fix the phone he has now?
    04-25-2013 09:19 AM
    Are you suggesting he try to send back the phone he received from Asurion and deal with trying to find a way to fix the phone he has now?
    When I called Asurion, this is what I was told - that they would make exceptions to the 7 day return period in some instances (e.g, phone was lost and then you found it) when you were fairly close to the 7 days and refund the deductible. So yes, I interpreted that to mean they would accept the return of the phone he received from Asurion. I asked the rep how long would they make exceptions for and he said no firm date but 30 days seemed reasonable but he would have to transfer me to returns dept. to confirm that. I did not ask to be transferred to returns dept. However, it looks like the OP was told day 15 was too late.

I didn't think OP's original phone (the recovered stolen phone) was broken.
    04-25-2013 09:31 AM
    sorry to hear about what happened

its sad that more people can't be honest I gave back a total of two cellphones over the years that I found and would hope the same courtesy will come my way if the superglue ever wears off my hand
    If everyone had that attitude, the world would be a much better place !
    04-25-2013 08:54 PM
    Damn, u think it's time to end this topic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    04-25-2013 09:45 PM
    The right thing to do is to abide by the insurance contract that was entered into. Rules are rules and only the ruler, insurance company in this case, can choose to make exceptions.
    Moral issues are a different concern and a topic of much discussion in this thread, i.e. should the phone be returned, should a partial refund take place ?, should the OP keep the phone and sell it ?
    If anyone here thinks the rules of the insurance company are "not fair" and that different scenarios should occur, they have the right to start their own company and have their own rules to process cases in the manner which they posted.
    Odds are, they would find it much more difficult than the manner stated regarding "what should be done" and have different feeling regarding "what the OP should do with the phone"

Just my thoughts and I do not own or have any part of an insurance company.
    04-25-2013 09:48 PM
    really - irrelevant - to who ? you or the person who paid it...
    04-22-2014 10:53 PM
    really - irrelevant - to who ? you or the person who paid it...
    Welcome to iMore Nathan
    jburke82 likes this.
    04-22-2014 11:41 PM
    So much fuss for iPhone stolen/recover just send it back to asurion. You'll feel better with yourself after.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    04-25-2014 02:28 AM
    Just finished reading this whole thread. So basically after the 15 days "Grace Period", even if you return your "lost" phone, the insurance company will not return the $185 deductible? Therefore leaving "NO INCENTIVES" whatsoever for us to return the re-found phone.

From what I read, it seems pretty fair not to return it. You're better off trying to get back your deductible by selling the phone yourself on eBay or Craiglist.

There's only two options:

1. Return the newly found phone and lose $185 and a phone (maybe another $300). Assurion 2 | 0 Customer

2. Keep the newly found phone, since they won't return back your money anyways and only lose $185. However you still have a chance of making that money back by selling the phone. Assurion 1 | 1 Customer <-- EVEN!

Option 2 seems like the fairest to me. Keeping in mind the fact that this service is NOT FREE, we pay a monthly fee for the insurance policy to Assurion. Plus there's no damage done, both you and Assurion are happy, since assurion has no idea that you found the phone anyways. No damage done.

For those of you guys that pick option 1, please feel free to do so and I respect your choice. However don't judge me if I sit back and laugh while you lose $500 - $600 for been so righteous.

Cheers.

05-29-2014 05:14 PM
    Just finished reading this whole thread. So basically after the 15 days "Grace Period", even if you return your "lost" phone, the insurance company will not return the $185 deductible? Therefore leaving "NO INCENTIVES" whatsoever for us to return the re-found phone.

From what I read, it seems pretty fair not to return it. You're better off trying to get back your deductible by selling the phone yourself on eBay or Craiglist.

1. Return the newly found phone and lose $185 and a phone (maybe another $300). Assurion 2 | 0 Customer

2. Keep the newly found phone, since they won't return back your money anyways and only lose $185. However you still have a chance of making that money back by selling the phone. Assurion 1 | 1 Customer <-- EVEN!

Option 2 seems like the fairest to me. Keeping in mind the fact that this service is NOT FREE, we pay a monthly fee for the insurance policy to Assurion. Plus there's no damage done, both you and Assurion are happy, since assurion has no idea that you found the phone anyways. No damage done.

For those of you guys that pick option 1, please feel free to do so and I respect your choice. However don't judge me if I sit back and laugh while you lose $500 - $600 for been so righteous.

Cheers.

Welcome to iMore Matrix

You have the right to your opinion
    05-29-2014 05:23 PM
    Welcome to iMore Matrix

You have the right to your opinion
    Thank You.

Yes that's exactly what it was, just my opinion.
    05-29-2014 05:29 PM

Cheers.

Wow. Simply wow.
    05-29-2014 06:40 PM
54 123