Hi All,

I got my iPhone 5 less than a week ago and it is already broken. For the past day and a half, it had said my battery was at 95%, which I thought was odd as I had not charged it at all, yet it stayed at 95%. Last night, it just died on me while I was using it and I could not turn it back on. I figured the battery gauge was broken and just went to bed. This morning, I try to plug it in, and it turns on no problem, and indeed the battery shows as 1%. After being on for about 5 seconds, it powers down again instantly. Now when I plug my phone in, it tries to turn on (white apple) for about 2 or 3 seconds, and then stops. It continues to do this as long as the phone is plugged in. When I try to hold the lock and home button, an icon appears that asks me to plug into iTunes. I don't have iTunes on my work computer, so I will have to try this when I get home. Will plugging my phone into iTunes restore it fully or should I schedule an appointment with the genius bar? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!
    04-18-2013 09:18 AM
    Try plugging in with the charger & cable that came with the phone... leave it undisturbed for at least a couple hours... then try & turn on... and if you're still having issues, a genius bar appointment is in order.
    04-18-2013 09:24 AM
    Trying a restore will certainly eliminate a few issues that it COULD be, but to be honest, I'd probably take it in for a replacement so that this situation doesn't present itself down the road...sometimes restoring the phone can get it working again, but it may hide a problem if something is wrong with the battery or the charging system.
    04-18-2013 09:36 AM
    And will I be able to get a replacement for free if it is deemed faulty?
    04-18-2013 10:17 AM
    And will I be able to get a replacement for free if it is deemed faulty?
    Yes
    04-18-2013 10:24 AM
    Great, thanks for the information everyone! I set up an appointment at the Genius Bar for this afternoon. I'm thinking I just get a dud.
    04-18-2013 10:39 AM