Seeing as most iPhones are purchased under the subsidized plans, they're already pretty cheap. So how low can one go so to speak. Also, would they be modeled like iPod touches? Would they come with their own service plans? Would they be the equivalent of a tracphone?

And more importantly, would you buy one?
    04-14-2013 08:48 AM
    Seeing as most iPhones are purchased under the subsidized plans, they're already pretty cheap.
    Customers pay more for it by purchasing it via a subsidy.
    So how low can one go so to speak. Also, would they be modeled like iPod touches? Would they come with their own service plans? Would they be the equivalent of a tracphone?
    No one can know for certain other than the decision makers at Apple. Anything else would be speculation.

And more importantly, would you buy one?
    I probably would for my kids who may want one, but I can't say for certain.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 04-19-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    04-14-2013 09:19 AM
    Customers pay more for it buy purchasing it via a subsidy. No one can know for certain other than the decision makers at Apple. Anything else would be speculation.

I probably would for my kids who may want one, but I can't say for certain.
    yah correct. but if you remove the value of the extra service that you got like free internet or load then it would be cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    04-14-2013 09:25 AM
    yah correct. but if you remove the value of the extra service that you got like free internet or load then it would be cheaper.

The only positive is the fact that your payout to walk put of the store with your new device is lessened, but that does not equate to being cheaper. It's arguably a bait & hook tactic. You're lured in by a low payout price, and then held captive for 2 years. Furthermore, if a better device comes out that you're interested in, you can't upgrade to it unless you add a line to your account, payoff the remainder of the full price of the original item, cancel and then pay an ETF or con a relative into letting you use his or her available upgrade which would still result in you paying more.
    04-14-2013 09:46 AM
    The only positive is the fact that your payout to walk put of the store with your new device is lessened, but that does not equate to being cheaper. It's arguably a bait & hook tactic. You're lured in by a low payout price, and then held captive for 2 years. Furthermore, if a better device comes out that you're interested in, you can't upgrade to it unless you add a line to your account, payoff the remainder of the full price of the original item, cancel and then pay an ETF or con a relative into letting you use his or her available upgrade which would still result in you paying more.
    well if having a internet connection and free load every month( my plan ) then it's worth it. for me j guess

04-14-2013 09:54 AM
    well if having a internet connection and free load every month( my plan ) then it's worth it. for me j guess

There is nothing wrong with that. If it works in your favor, that is all that matters. Take care and have a great weekend.
    04-14-2013 09:56 AM
    There is nothing wrong with that. If it works in your favor, that is all that matters. Take care and have a great weekend.
    i do hope i would have. but i have class-.-

04-14-2013 10:00 AM

Would that be true if you didn't upgrade as well?

If so, you're missing the point.
    04-14-2013 12:14 PM
    I think it will be made out of plastic, have a 3.5 inch non retina screen, and they will give you a $100 dollar iTunes gift card just to accept the free phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-14-2013 10:17 PM
    You may get a second hand iphone 4S within the price range of $350 - $400.
    04-15-2013 09:07 AM
    I would say a cheap iPhone would be 250-350 bucks with no contract/plan. I might buy one for like travelling or something.
    04-15-2013 09:51 PM
    The cheap iphone is being discussed mainly for capturing emerging markets like Brazil, India, China. So i expect the cheap unlocked iphone to be $350-$400 in these markets as iphone 5 costs around $800-$900.
    04-16-2013 07:49 AM
    probably something like 429=16gb, 499= 32gb, 599=64gb!!
    04-17-2013 06:33 PM
    probably something like 429=16gb, 499= 32gb, 599=64gb!!
    32gb and 64gb versions are not required, its important to penetrate the $300-$400 Unlocked market, so 8gb and 16gb should be good at $350-$400.
    04-17-2013 07:09 PM
    The cheap iPhone thing drives me
    Nuts they already have a cheap iPhone you can go buy a 4s 8gb (cheap iPhone) right now.. Why does everyone expect a new cheap iPhone when the new one
    Comes out the 5 will be a cheap iPhone duh

04-18-2013 08:50 AM
    The discussion is only relevant because people always want to change things that they are not in charge of (especially when success is apparent). iPhone sells like hot cakes at the current pricing? Well god forbid, they had better change the pricing structure or the entire planet will stop rotating and we'll all burn (or freeze), whichever comes first.

$199 on contract? DAMN THE GODS! Better make it $4.99 on contract and give me 2 ripe avocados to my guacamole or I'm switching to Android!

You hear me Apple!? Change the pricing and make the screen 5 feet wide or 4 people are going to complain until the next one comes out.
    kch50428 and Just_Me_D like this.
    04-18-2013 08:59 AM
    I'm guessing the people that want a cheap iPhone are looking for the $49-$99 range. The current iPhone is $199, which I think is a pretty decent price. I also don't see why there is so much fuss over it, cause you can get the older model for $99 and some places have older models for free. What more do you people want!?!?

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    04-18-2013 09:05 AM
    The cheap iPhone thing drives me
    Nuts they already have a cheap iPhone you can go buy a 4s 8gb (cheap iPhone) right now.. Why does everyone expect a new cheap iPhone when the new one
    Comes out the 5 will be a cheap iPhone duh

The discussion is only relevant because people always want to change things that they are not in charge of (especially when success is apparent). iPhone sells like hot cakes at the current pricing? Well god forbid, they had better change the pricing structure or the entire planet will stop rotating and we'll all burn (or freeze), whichever comes first.

$199 on contract? DAMN THE GODS! Better make it $4.99 on contract and give me 2 ripe avocados to my guacamole or I'm switching to Android!

You hear me Apple!? Change the pricing and make the screen 5 feet wide or 4 people are going to complain until the next one comes out.
    I'm guessing the people that want a cheap iPhone are looking for the $49-$99 range. The current iPhone is $199, which I think is a pretty decent price. I also don't see why there is so much fuss over it, cause you can get the older model for $99 and some places have older models for free. What more do you people want!?!?

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    USA and its contract system is not the whole world. In most countries carriers are just dumb pipes which they are supposed to be and people buy unlocked phones directly from manufacturers.

So, it does make sense for Apple to release a $300-$400 Unlocked iphone in emerging markets where unlocked iphone 5 costs $800-$900.
    Last edited by Etios; 04-18-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    04-18-2013 03:40 PM
    I went over three years without using my upgrade on two of my lines I saved the 10 smartphone fee but sprint still made out in the long run

upgrades benefit the customer because if I had walked in with an iphone5 I bought on ebay for 400 to 500 hundred I would still pay the same amount for my plan as I am with the upgrade

I understand I wouldn't be on contract but I'm not going anywhere and if I want the iphone5s I can pay full price or use the upgrade I still have when I paid a premium to avoid the contract
    04-19-2013 05:03 PM
    USA and its contract system is not the whole world. In most countries carriers are just dumb pipes which they are supposed to be and people buy unlocked phones directly from manufacturers.

So, it does make sense for Apple to release a $300-$400 Unlocked iphone in emerging markets where unlocked iphone 5 costs $800-$900.
    This is the part that people miss, they assume cheap refers to what they see when they walk into their carrier's store and see contract pricing.
    04-19-2013 05:50 PM
    The cheap iphone is being discussed mainly for capturing emerging markets like Brazil, India, China. So i expect the cheap unlocked iphone to be $350-$400 in these markets as iphone 5 costs around $800-$900.
    People just want to complain about a plastic case and the already "free" iPhone 4. You can say it a million times, I feel like I have, but people just don't seem to get it.

The market here in the US is drying up (and possibly on the decline), assuming the cheap iPhone rumors are true, it's a great move on Apple's part.
    04-22-2013 09:20 AM
    You may get a second hand iphone 4S within the price range of $350 - $400.
    They are a lot cheaper than that on swappa right now. Going for >$300 in mint condition, with original box + accessories.
    04-22-2013 10:27 AM
    a 4s 8gb
    The lowest internal storage model of the 4S was 16GB.
    04-22-2013 10:30 AM
    The lowest internal storage model of the 4S was 16GB.
    My bad the 4 had a 8gb just saying that cheap is already here

04-23-2013 12:18 AM