Slow speed tests iPhone 5

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello everybody I picked up an iPhone 5 yesterday it's running 6.0.2 so I was like sweet I can still jailbreak it. I have road runner 60 down 5 up broadband. I was expecting to be blown away by the speedtest app but here it is. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365895544.889637.jpg
And from my computer at the same time. It never gets to fast cause its using a cheap USB wireless adapter.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365895565.788997.jpg

The phone isn't slow but what's the deal. Is it 6.0.2? I'd hate to update and lose my jail break but if its worth 40 mbs or so I might consider it. I'm not expecting 60 but 3? That's crazy. Especially when my girls 4s was getting 30-40 last night and the 5 was 10-20.

And yes it had slow results prior to jailbreak.

Thanks for any advice.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Speedtest on wifi is only gonna be as good as your wifi can do... and not a real reflection of the iPhone and its LTE capabilities if you have LTE available to you.

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
No LTE I'm almost wanting to drive a little south to Tampa to try it out. Sprint just got LTE in my area I'm hoping AT&T is not to far behind.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
No LTE I'm almost wanting to drive a little south to Tampa to try it out. Sprint just got LTE in my area I'm hoping AT&T is not to far behind.
Regardless, turn off WiFi. If you have it on WiFi like the picture shows, all you are testing is how fast the DSL or cable internet access is in your home or wherever you are.

Turn off the WiFi if you want to speedtest your wireless carrier's network. And keep in mind when you do, you are now using your data from your data plan so don't do it over and over again unless you have unlimited data, but even then, eventually on ATT you will be throttled.

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Regardless, turn off WiFi. If you have it on WiFi like the picture shows, all you are testing is how fast the DSL or cable internet access is in your home or wherever you are.

Turn off the WiFi if you want to speedtest your wireless carrier's network. And keep in mind when you do, you are now using your data from your data plan so don't do it over and over again unless you have unlimited data, but even then, eventually on ATT you will be throttled.

I was trying to test my wifi speed. There's no way it was 2.6. When ten feet away my computer got 17.

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Thats still just testing your connection between your wifi hotspot to the Internet... not really a decent test of the iPhone's wifi...

I got ya. Surly my wifi wasn't 2 mbs when it's "up to" 60. I'm getting 30 average now. What's the max the iPhone 5 can do?

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I got ya. Surly my wifi wasn't 2 mbs when it's "up to" 60. I'm getting 30 average now. What's the max the iPhone 5 can do?
Was your computer downloading an automatic update at the time? Is your router encrypted so you know your neighbors aren't tapping into your bandwidth? Was your kid streaming video through WiFi at the time? All of these can affect your bandwidth.

My LTE signal where I live isn't that great. Highest I have done is 21Mbps, but that not due to the iPhone 5's limitations. It is due to the network signal where I live.

The iPhone 5 should be able to handle all the speed your network can deliver. The only way speedtest can tell you if there is a problem with your iPhone 5 is if you test 2 iPhone's (preferable 2 iPhone 5's if there is LTE available) side by side connected to the same server. If there are significant differences, then it is the phone. If not, then it is the network.

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Was your computer downloading an automatic update at the time? Is your router encrypted so you know your neighbors aren't tapping into your bandwidth? Was your kid streaming video through WiFi at the time? All of these can affect your bandwidth.

My LTE signal where I live isn't that great. Highest I have done is 21Mbps, but that not due to the iPhone 5's limitations. It is due to the network signal where I live.

The iPhone 5 should be able to handle all the speed your network can deliver. The only way speedtest can tell you if there is a problem with your iPhone 5 is if you test 2 iPhone 5's side by side connected to the same server. If there are significant differences, then it is the phone. If not, then it is the network.

Nope nothing going on except my speed tests. I'm sure it's nothing. I'm getting decent speeds now and my phone wasn't slow by any means with web browsing. One of the guys I work with has a 5 I might be able to get him to download the speedtest app and test my work wifi (which is satellite so it's slow as molasses on a winter day).

I was just curious cause of all the updates and problems out there but since the phone isn't slow even when it was showing 2mbs I doubt it's a problem.

Thanks for the input.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
at that moment in time, your Internet connection that the Speedtest saw could have indeed been 2mbps.

The iPhone5 uses 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz and 5GHz)... TCP throughput should be around ~80 Mbps TCP and ~110 Mbps UDP. Quite a bit more than previous generation iPhones, which peaked around ~40 Mbps TCP. - That would only be transfer speeds between your wifi hotspot and your phone... not what you'd get from your phone to the Internet when on wifi.

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
at that moment in time, your Internet connection that the Speedtest saw could have indeed been 2mbps.

The iPhone5 uses 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz and 5GHz)... TCP throughput should be around ~80 Mbps TCP and ~110 Mbps UDP. Quite a bit more than previous generation iPhones, which peaked around ~40 Mbps TCP. - That would only be transfer speeds between your wifi hotspot and your phone... not what you'd get from your phone to the Internet when on wifi.

I'm not sure I comprehend all that but thanks for trying.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73