• Yes go bigger

Votes: 112 70.4%
  • No do not go bigger

Votes: 47 29.6%

• Total voters

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
The biggest problem with apple doing this is developers will have to have more then one version of there apps and it will turn into android with updates far and few between etc etc i like the way apple increased the size and didn't screw anyone.. Fragmentation sucks period. I'm not saying there is no market I much rather just have the 5s and 6 be the same size so things don't get screwy

And to the people who say they will lose to many customers if they don't it actually really doesn't matter apple sells so fast it won't even touch the pocket book..

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
IAlthough your statement leads me to believe that Android users really don't like Apple for one reason, they have to pay for things instead of getting everything handed to them!!!!
It actually is part of the open source mentality. It's a problem for android developers.

jerseykirby

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It actually is part of the open source mentality. It's a problem for android developers.

I agree completely, it is the open source that keeps them there. It is what drew me to Android in the first place, having that customization and ability to just change everything at a whim was awesome. But for me, stability came into question and that's the main thing that drew me back to Apple and the iPhone. That adds to my opinion stating that if Apple made these customizations happen through the App Store, some being free and some paid, that would give it's current users more options and possibly bring more over. Apple's stabilty is top notch in my view, very hard to compete with.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree completely, it is the open source that keeps them there. It is what drew me to Android in the first place, having that customization and ability to just change everything at a whim was awesome. But for me, stability came into question and that's the main thing that drew me back to Apple and the iPhone. That adds to my opinion stating that if Apple made these customizations happen through the App Store, some being free and some paid, that would give it's current users more options and possibly bring more over. Apple's stabilty is top notch in my view, very hard to compete with.

I agree. Stability is the main reason I'm sticking with Apple from now on. I've owned 3 android phones and a tablet and none was as stable as my iPhone or my iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I still can't decide if a bigger screen is better. I haven't had any issues with the screen on my iPhone 5. I have had smartphones with huge screens before and it was nice in certain situations but a pain in others.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
BREAKING NEWS: Steve Cook just announced that a 5" phone must be released immediately so as not to lose you to the competition.....

I second Short Cuts post. Apple may lose me to Android as well. That's 2 potential lost customers for Apple.
Timmy better start cranking out the 5" screen models ASAP :)

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I second Short Cuts post. Apple may lose me to Android as well. That's 2 potential lost customers for Apple.

Can I ask, at what size does one say that it is too big for a phone?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Even I have the S4 on pre-order to try it out due to a larger screen. But the fact remains despite the potential detractors, Apple realizes its bread and butter is the core group of folks that prefer IOS over the Android platform, and who desire the one-handed use device. The fact that they keep outselling their previous quarters means they don't necessarily have to do a thing in the immediate future aside from following their own predetermined road map.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Can I ask, at what size does one say that it is too big for a phone?

That's a tough one. I loved the 5.5" screen of the Note 2 while watching videos, playing games, or reading text. But once it came to being on the move, putting the thing in a pocket, trying to fit it in the cup holder of my car, whip it out and compose a one-handed text, etc....it became an inconvenience. I don't even think a bump from say, 4" to 4.3" would be noticeable unless it went entirely to width but then you start messing with one-handed ability. I personally think the best thing to do for the customer, if feasible, would be to offer two versions each release. The current size, and a larger version at 4.7" to 5" and let customers choose based upon need.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Even I have the S4 on pre-order to try it out due to a larger screen. But the fact remains despite the potential detractors, Apple realizes its bread and butter is the core group of folks that prefer IOS over the Android platform, and who desire the one-handed use device. The fact that they keep outselling their previous quarters means they don't necessarily have to do a thing in the immediate future aside from following their own predetermined road map.

That's not entirely true. BlackBerry followed that thought process and they went from number 1 to insignificant really fast. Apple needs to stay relevant and if making phones with huge screens is what they need to do, then they should do it. I'm just not completely sold on a bigger device is better. Like I said before, I have tried them and the experience wasn't necessarily better. Just before I got my Note II, I was thinking about all of the books I could read on the big screen, all of the movies/videos I would enjoy, the print on web pages would be huge, and video games would be that much better. Then I got the Note II and I read 0 books and maybe a couple of magazines, not once did I watch a movie on it even though I bought several, I played some games but the large screen didn't really make Words With Friends, or 4 pics 1 word that much more enjoyable. But what did happen was that I was frustrated that my phone wouldn't fit in the cup holder in my car (this is where I keep all of my phones) and I couldn't use it with one hand easily.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
That's a tough one. I loved the 5.5" screen of the Note 2 while watching videos, playing games, or reading text. But once it came to being on the move, putting the thing in a pocket, trying to fit it in the cup holder of my car, whip it out and compose a one-handed text, etc....it became an inconvenience. I don't even think a bump from say, 4" to 4.3" would be noticeable unless it went entirely to width but then you start messing with one-handed ability. I personally think the best thing to do for the customer, if feasible, would be to offer two versions each release. The current size, and a larger version at 4.7" to 5" and let customers choose based upon need.

You wrote almost the same thing I just did.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
That's not entirely true. BlackBerry followed that thought process and they went from number 1 to insignificant really fast. Apple needs to stay relevant and if making phones with huge screens is what they need to do, then they should do it.

I think BlackBerry had a few other things going on besides changing size of a screen. As for Apple, I am excited to see what IOS 7 brings. If there have been two criticisms, they have been screen size and a stale OS. I personally like the current OS because of the fluidity and stability it brings. If Ive is able to provide a modern look, increased user experience, yet still provide the same smoothness then I think that will be a win. As for the larger screen, I would not be shocked to see that happen in 2014. But as Cook said, they are not going to offer that without eliminating what they see as significant compromises.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh