Votes: 112 70.4%
  • No do not go bigger

Votes: 47 29.6%

• Total voters

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Perfect size I would like to see is 4.3" Those seem to feel good in hand, but not feel too big. Also, with bigger screens, it seems that I start to get call quality issues since the mic is too far from my mouth and people can't hear me!

You're kidding, right? Or you just don't know any better?

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I understand & for the most part agree with Apple's decision to keep the size optimized to one handed use, but I have to wonder if one handed usability is as big of a deal as Apple makes it to be. My first modern smartphone had a 3.2" screen, and I virtually never used it one handed unless absolutely necessary.

I think some changes to iOS could allow for a larger screen and still facilitate one handed use. I carry an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 is every bit as easy to use one handed as the iPhone 5 even though the screen is 0.7" larger. Icons on iOS start at the upper left corner, the WORST possible place for one handed use (unless you use your left hand). Prompts tend to be towards the top of the screen. Allow users to place icons wherever they want, and bring prompts lower on the screen. That alone would help a lot. The keyboard on the Nexus 4 is much easier to use one handed with the sliding feature, and you don't have to be nearly as precise.

Well that's my humble opinion. I'm sure Apple knows what they're doing. That's why they're worth $400 billion and I'm not... :p

I agree that Apple should move the navigation buttons to the bottom of the screen rather than the top. This would make one-handed use much easier and may allow them to increase screen size a bit.

Uncopyrightable

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Gotta go bigger

The iPhone 5 is very useable one handed at it's size, ok great... for most people, that's a wonderful standard. But some people have smaller, or larger hands and fall outside this apple majority target.

A larger phone can be made to be just as usable with one hand with interface design and gestures. Most of the time, especially at work, when I want to reply to a message, I use Siri for dictation, or when driving I use Siri. And when I do use my iPhone, I generally use it 2 handed anyways.

Wasn't apple quoted at one time saying they weren't out for market share and profits, they just want to make great devices? Then why not accept the challenge of making a 4.7" - 5" screen (going off of the 2 1080P sizes currently available) and making the UI just as usable, with one hand, as the iPhone 4, 4S, 5. This is the company that could do such a thing.

Why just cop out and say that "the iPhone can't be made bigger because it would be too big for my hands because daddy apple taught me that's how it is."?

Also, why doesn't the poll have option to vote for "I'm staying with smaller but see room for bigger for others"?

With Siri, Gestures, Gyro, Accelerometer, maybe even a tethered iWatch, a larger iPhone would be a perfectly usable option and quite desirable for many. I for one would jump all over an iPhone with the display from the "HTC One" in a heartbeat. Oh, bigger iPhone? More battery? 128GB? Ummm, SOLD!!!

A bigger screen would be great for browsing, movies, VNC, uhh, just about everything that you'd want to do. Apple TV just a hobby, iWatch? probably a hobby, larger iPhone, maybe a new hobby that could explode into popularity.

Just my opinion though.
</grain of salt>

K Sec

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

I think 5", would be a great addition. It would be great if Apple just comes out and tell , or explain the truth, making things smaller, while being faster and better and lighter is hard. God Damn hard once you are trying to squeeze every ounce and inch of it.

That is why bigger, in that sense, shouldn't be more expensive. Engineers have much more space to work with, antenna is easier to tune, more space for battery, having a larger phone is just fundamentally much easier to make.

Introducing, the iPhone (X), ( What the the market wanted ), a bigger, and more affordable version of iPhone. At 5" with the same resolution, all the iPhone software will just works. No updates required. And they would look bigger, better fits for people with big hands or less then optimal eye sight.

geekpeter

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

apple are attractive to a lot of accessory manufacturers simply because a lot of their devices are same/similar sized, companys that make cases for their phones are assured sales regardless of new or old phones which only encourages companys to make more stuff for apple devices as they know their more likely to get sales when compared to android phones of multiple sizes/shapes/layouts.

it makes good business sense them sticking to a limited standard of sizes.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I personally would purchase a iPhone with a 5" display in a heartbeat because I have piano fingers and have always appreciated larger phones. I have owned 3 Android devices and I loved (and actually miss) the large screens. I don't miss the bugginess associated with the Android software though so I won't be going back anytime soon.
I love my iPhone 5. The ONLY thing I hate about it is the tiny screen. I met a lady the other day with a Galaxy Note and she says that she loves it. I was so jealous of the phones screen size.
I wish Apple would give us more options though concerning the matter. Trust me if the GS3 can sell like hot cakes then most certainly a bigger screen iPhone can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site

Its already too big. The 4/4S is as big as it should've gone. The 5 is too big, as far as I am concerned. Not everyone has big hands or wants a big screen or phablet. If I wanted a phablet, I'd get an Android device.

I have to disagree my friend. Jumping ship to android should not be our only option. What the people want is 'choice' and Apple needs to get on board with that. I would purchase a 4.5"-5" iPhone in a heartbeat. I personally feel that the iPhone 5 is a little small for my 6' 2" frame. I would like to see Apple release the iPhones in 2 different sizes to say the least.

Last edited:

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's as big a deal as most make it out to be. I agree the i5 is a great size and anything bigger would almost be like having a mini as ur phone. Plus, from all the adds on Craigslist and in our market place from people wanting to sell or trade their Note 2 for an iPhone 5, guess bigger isn't always better.

Agree, have to friends now with big screens and they want to get rid of them , stateing their just to bulky and most of what they are watching on screen doesn't fill the full screen.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Agree, have to friends now with big screens and they want to get rid of them , stateing their just to bulky and most of what they are watching on screen doesn't fill the full screen.

Yeah people need to take the time to think about what size device they want to toke around before spending a couple hundred dollars on a smartphone. Lesson learn by your friends I guess. It still doesn't hold any validity to the point that some people want bigger screens so it should at least be a option, therefore the iPhone should be released in 2 different sizes.
I personally feel that my iPhone 5 is too small, but then again, I have very long fingers.
I know a very petite woman who has a Galaxy Note and she loves it. She had a iPhone and didn't care for it. To each their own.
I personally love my iPhone 5 but in hate the microscopic screen size.

Last edited:

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah people need to take the time to think about what size device they want to toke around before spending a couple hundred dollars on a smartphone. Lesson learn by your friends I guess. It still doesn't hold any validity to the point that some people want bigger screens so it should at least be a option, therefore the iPhone should be released in 2 different sizes.
I personally feel that my iPhone 5 is too small, but then again, I'm 6:2" with long fingers.
I know a very petite woman who has a Galaxy Note and she loves it. She had a iPhone and didn't care for it. To each their own.
My issue is I can't see a small screen. I wish I could, but I can't. Even with my reading glasses on. I would prefer a smaller phone if I could read the screen, but I can't.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I personally feel that my iPhone 5 is too small, but then again, I'm 6:2" with long fingers.

Oh, I agree , people should have a choice, and for chance the 5s is bigger,I go with the 5 that will prob get the update. So ether way it's a win.

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I have a BB Z10 as a work phone and I like the screen because of the width compared to my iPhone 5. I still use the 5 for everything non-work related but the z10 just fits my hand better even with it being "naked" and my 5 having a life proof case on it. I would like to see the iPhone increase in size maybe somewhere around 4.5 inches and dedicate the increase to width just because I have large hands and I'm getting old and blind lol. Anything 5 inches or more is just too much.

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site

I have a BB Z10 as a work phone and I like the screen because of the width compared to my iPhone 5. I still use the 5 for everything non-work related but the z10 just fits my hand better even with it being "naked" and my 5 having a life proof case on it. I would like to see the iPhone increase in size maybe somewhere around 4.5 inches and dedicate the increase to width just because I have large hands and I'm getting old and blind lol. Anything 5 inches or more is just too much.

Sorry William, but it's got to be at least 5" or bust! :)

Plazmic Flame

May 1, 2012
Visit site
A new product in the iPhone line definitely needs to emerge. I have an iPhone 4S but currently looking for alternatives because of battery life. They need to introduce a phablet device with a sizable battery and not their stupid arse guarantee of "8 hour battery" life to make it super thin.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, here's the thing for me. At first, the iPhone 5 felt a little awkward being taller. And I first I didn't like that it was wider for video watching purposes. But after a short, very short, while, I realized that 4 inch screen done the way Apple did it was a great choice. I really wish they had kept the iPhone 5 the same thickness as the iPhone 4/4S. I think that's what I missed most about my iPhone 4, more so than the 3.5 inch screen.

I understand many people want to go phablet. But most people do not. Apple doesn't need to make a 5 or 6 inch iPhone to please the minority. I honestly wouldn't buy one. I hate the size of the Galaxy S3, I absolute loathe the size of the Galaxy Note's, at that point it's no longer a phone and it's no longer easy to carry around. I think I could do 4.3 or 4.5 inch iPhone so long as some it went to width. I have small hands and type two handed on an iPhone even though it's the worst way to type on one and have a little more space, but not as much as landscape, would be ideal.

TL;DR: Apple innovates for the majority not the minority.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, here's the thing for me. At first, the iPhone 5 felt a little awkward being taller. And I first I didn't like that it was wider for video watching purposes. But after a short, very short, while, I realized that 4 inch screen done the way Apple did it was a great choice. I really wish they had kept the iPhone 5 the same thickness as the iPhone 4/4S. I think that's what I missed most about my iPhone 4, more so than the 3.5 inch screen.

I understand many people want to go phablet. But most people do not. Apple doesn't need to make a 5 or 6 inch iPhone to please the minority. I honestly wouldn't buy one. I hate the size of the Galaxy S3, I absolute loathe the size of the Galaxy Note's, at that point it's no longer a phone and it's no longer easy to carry around. I think I could do 4.3 or 4.5 inch iPhone so long as some it went to width. I have small hands and type two handed on an iPhone even though it's the worst way to type on one and have a little more space, but not as much as landscape, would be ideal.

I think that is what BlackBerry did with the Z10. The phone seems to be a great size.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site

Im afraid that you are completely missing the point my friend. What the people want are 'options'. Good for you and your desire to carry around a kiddie sized phone but not all of us are smaller people with smaller hands. Some of us would rather toke around a larger device. The extra bulk in our pockets would be a worthy trade off for a 5" screen.
Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone 5 but the thing was seemingly designed with smurfs in mind. I hate the small screen and like I mentioned before, we should at least have the option to purchase a bigger Apple device.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While reading my RSS feeds this morning, I ran across the below quote from Topeka analyst Brian White:
Apple would “need” to launch an “iPhad” in the near future to keep up with Samsung.

Keep up with Samsung? Seriously? What if Apple indeed introduce an alleged iPhad or phablet phone and it does so well that it destroys Samsung, HTC, Motorola and the rest of its competitors? What then? Will Apple be vilified & accused of unfair business practices? Will it be accused of being a monopoly in regard to mobile devices? Will users who demanded that it create a phablet then demand that it change to being open source? On the flip side, what if the larger device end up being a flop? Will tech enthusiasts, reporters, analysts & bloggers accept blame for forcing Apple to create something it wasn't prepared or unwilling to create? What say you?

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
While reading my RSS feeds this morning, I ran across the below quote from Topeka analyst Brian White:
Apple would “need” to launch an “iPhad” in the near future to keep up with Samsung.

Keep up with Samsung? Seriously? What if Apple indeed introduce an alleged iPhad or phablet phone and it does so well that it destroys Samsung, HTC, Motorola and the rest of its competitors? What then? Will Apple be vilified & accused of unfair business practices? Will it be accused of being a monopoly in regard to mobile devices? Will users who demanded that it create a phablet then demand that it change to being open source? On the flip side, what if the larger device end up being a flop? Will tech enthusiasts, reporters, analysts & bloggers accept blame for forcing Apple to create something it wasn't prepared or unwilling to create? What say you?

If they created a phablet, game over for anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Bekrah

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Apple would ?need? to launch an ?iPhad? in the near future to keep up with Samsung.

Keep up with Samsung? Seriously? What if Apple does indeed introduce an alleged iPhad or phablet phone and it does so well that it destroys Samsung, HTC, Motorola and the rest of its competitors? What then? Will Apple be vilified & accused of unfair business practices? Will it be accused of being a monopoly in regard to mobile devices? Will users who demanded that it create a phablet then demand that it change to being open source? On the flip side, what if the larger device end up being a flop? Will tech enthusiasts, reporters, analysts & bloggers accept blame for forcing Apple to create something it was prepared or unwilling to create? What say you?

I doubt that if Apple released a phablet it would be a flop. Part of the reason the GS3 is selling like hotcakes is because there is in fact a market for bigger handhelds. I for one would snatch it up in a heartbeat. I personally think its silly that Apple most likely wont even announce a 5" handheld device come this June.
Sorry but Steve Jobs was wrong when he said that no one wants a bigger phone...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/jobs-no-ones-going-to-buy-a-big-phone/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices