Votes: 112 70.4%
  • No do not go bigger

Votes: 47 29.6%

• Total voters

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree that Apple is not obligated to make a larger iPhone, but I can't see them turning away from something that would just rake in more profits for them. Unless, of course, there's something I'm missing an having two iPhones (a large one and a small one) is unprofitable.

Not only is the iPhone the biggest selling smartphone on the planet, it continues to outsell smartphones that are arguably more technically advanced. Why is that? Does that prove that a bigger size and better specs are the key to smartphone success? Nope. That can't be it. Does it mean that if a company floods the market with Smartphones in various sizes and various modifications to the operating systems it will make that company the most successful? Nope. That can't be it. If Apple was in need of profits and was arguably struggling like HTC is at the moment then they probably would consider moving away from their current roadmap, but they are not in dire straits and thus, they don't have to alter their strategy. Finally, having two smartphone sizes from Apple could very well be profitable, but currently, not having two is not unprofitable to them.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll never understand how some people think that anything listed above is a good business plan.
With the success that Apple has had and is still having, how can it not be considered a good business plan for it?
Obviously Apple continues to do well with the way it works, which amazes me day by day, but I can tell you that no other company on the planet would last if they ran things the way Apple runs things.
That may very well be true, however, every company is not Apple.

Choice is always in the customers hands, if someone came into my place of work and asked for a single switch circuit breaker and I say you'll get a double. The customer would walk out of my shop and never come back.
True, but the same thing applies to Apple. If you walk into an Apple Store looking for an iPhone with a 5 inch retina display, you will not get one and you will either buy the one with the 4 inch display or opt to buy another brand from a competitor.
Now matter how big, well known, etc. my company was, period. (Of course its a little different as my case may be a necessity, while having a phone is not)
There are other options of course, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, but why wouldn't you want those customers to stay? I'm not going to change my product for a wide range of people simply because its not my "choice" as a company to do so. Absurd.
No it is not absurd and define "wide range of people". If "wide range" equates to 5%, I doubt that you or any other business person would change your product to suit such a small amount of people, but of course, that's just my opinion.

Sure I don't necessarily agree that going bigger or having two different sizes is exactly what Apple needs right now, but there are other things about Apple that I wonder about if they are ever going to change.
Sure they'll change eventually, but who's to make that determination as to when?

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You made some really good points in this post. But I disagree with what I've bolded. Sure they arent obligated, but they do need to look out for what their user base does want. Expressing opinion and "harping" on Apple to change, may bring about some changes. I think thats why the iphone 5 went with a bigger screen. The community said they wanted it.

If Apple pays zero attention to their customers, and their customer keep buying just because its Apple... I don't think that right. Or fair to Apple or the customers. Customers should be able to ask for what they want. And Apple should optimize what they can deliver.

Apple's user base isn't the one harping for a bigger screen...the people who cry the most about wanting a bigger screen are the ones using an Android device who want to come back to an Apple product. That's the truth of the matter. It has been proven year after year that Apple keeps its consumer base happy...but these major redesign requests, at least from my view, are not comping from the iPhone consumer base.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
And Apple should optimize what they can deliver.
And therein lies one of the most significant differences between Apple and Android. Apple chooses optimization over customization. It is hard to have both. Android is customizable at the expense of optimization.

saudre

Banned
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't saying that the iPhone needed to be that much bigger, I was just saying that the ratio is off because of redesigning it halfway.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't saying that the iPhone needed to be that much bigger, I was just saying that the ratio is off because of redesigning it halfway.

They didn't redesign anything half way...they weren't trying to redesign it in any pre-existing ratio, they were trying to give a unique and unorthodox approach to a larger design, and did it COMPLETE. A single person's feel that the design was not proper doesn't reflect across the spectrum...most people love it (looking at how many sold and it's continued positive response on the market).

saudre

Banned
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
They didn't redesign anything half way...they weren't trying to redesign it in any pre-existing ratio, they were trying to give a unique and unorthodox approach to a larger design, and did it COMPLETE. A single person's feel that the design was not proper doesn't reflect across the spectrum...most people love it (looking at how many sold and it's continued positive response on the market).

I don't think we will ever in our lives see a decline in iPhone sales. At this point, it's not that people are buying it because they like it, they're buying because they need it. I mean, look at maps, that was pretty much unmarketable but people are still using it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think we will ever in our lives see a decline in iPhone sales. At this point, it's not that people are buying it because they like it, they're buying because they need it. I mean, look at maps, that was pretty much unmarketable but people are still using it.

I look at the maps often, and find it perfectly usable and marketable...so much so that i haven't found a need to download the much hyped Google Maps app that so many went crazy for.

Are you seriously trying to convince people that the iPhone sells in the numbers that it does because of necessity and not out of want? Are you F'ing kidding me? LMAO!

General Tso

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Dude, you can't say anything bad or even close to bad about Apple on this site. They're all fanboys. This is probably the worst place to discuss the iPhone if you want to have a real discussing and not just Apple worshipping.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Dude, you can't say anything bad or even close to bad about Apple on this site. They're all fanboys. This is probably the worst place to discuss the iPhone if you want to have a real discussing and not just Apple worshipping.

That is incorrect, but I will say this - it is probably not a good idea to bypass a forum dedicated to one's choice device and enter a forum dedicated to the choice device of others to try and talk about how their device should be bigger or offer this or that under the guise of having an objective conversation. Furthermore, if you read throughout this forum, people who came across as being truly objective have been applauded and those who did not were not. Having said that, we at iMore welcome good conversation especially in regard to Apple products.

General Tso

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I like the forum. I come here for jailbreak info and the latest rumors. All I'm saying is that if you come here for actual discussion about pros and cons of Apple products and practices, you're gonna be disappointed. Its a fanboy forum.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I like the forum. I come here for jailbreak info and the latest rumors. All I'm saying is that if you come here for actual discussion about pros and cons of Apple products and practices, you're gonna be disappointed. Its a fanboy forum.

It is indeed a forum for Apple enthusiasts but also for people wanting to know how to fix issues they may be having with their Apple devices among other things. However, the same can be said in regard to the Crackberry, WebOS, WIndows Mobile and Android forum. Having said that, they are all fan sites to a certain degree. Wouldn't you agree?

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
However, the same can be said in regard to the Crackberry, WebOS, WIndows Mobile and Android forum. Having said that, they are all fan sites to a certain degree. Wouldn't you agree?
With the Android site, I would agree that it is an Android user site, but I am not sure I would go so far as to call it a fan site. People (me included) regularly slam the manufacturers and Google when there is cause. There is a heck of lot of arguing between those who buy one manufacturer's device over the others. Of course, there is also the slamming of Apple over there. But really not much more than the slamming of the android manufacturers and even Google. We especially like to slam the carriers and come up with ways to defeat their oligopolistic practices.

Yes there are posts about what people like, too about the android phones, but it doesn't get to the level I would call a fan site.

I would say on the Android site it is pretty fragmented by device, just like the Android ecosystem. People ***** about Google quite a bit, too. It is not a big love Google fest by any means on that forum.

anon(5895641)

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
This is obviously a personal preference. I used a Galaxy S2 4.5 inches & then a Galaxy S3 4.7 inches for a total of like almost 2 years and one of the dislikes I had was missing one hand usage. I don't have the largest hands or the smallest hands but I really liked being able to text and stuff with one hand while I'm walking or if I'm lying in bed I like to be able to use my phone with one hand no problem. The iPhone 5 is the perfect size for me. It took me about 2 weeks to get used to the downgraded screen sizes since I was so used to the Galaxy S3 but I still prefer the iPhone 5 screen size mainly because of easy one hand usage.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I'd rather my phone stay a phone. I got a an iPad mini because I wanted a larger screen for reading, watching videos and playing games. My iPhone now is to keep me informed and for points of reference.

For me, the screen size, width, and thickness of the 5 is perfect. I don't wanna feel like I'm walking around with a brick in my pocket like I was back when I had a PPC-6600.

Our electronics should be evolving (thinner, lighter, faster), not vice versa.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox