Votes: 112 70.4%
  • No do not go bigger

Votes: 47 29.6%

• Total voters

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Gotta go bigger

Maybe. If, however, they are following a well thought out business road map, I wouldn't consider that being 'stubborn'.....;)
That is certainly how they see it. And actually, it has been working for them for quite a few years and I agree if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But it seems to me with Android's increased marketshare, the business road map may be showing some signs of wear and tear.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

That is certainly how they see it. And actually, it has been working for them for quite a few years and I agree if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But it seems to me with Android's increased marketshare, the business road map may be showing some signs of wear and tear.

Good point ... ;)

saudre

Banned
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

A child can certainly hold the 4.7" Nexus in one hand and use it with his other hand. He cannot possibly hold and use (which is what one-handed use means) with one hand.

Smartphones aren't really made for children anyway so I don't see why that matters.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I am looking forward to an upgrade to the next best iPhone even though there is nothing wrong with the form factor of my 4S nor was anything wrong with the 5 I played with for a few days from a friend.

I just logged into my VZW acct. per the article i posted as well as Keith last night about VZW and upgrade policy changes and mine still shows Aug with a contract end in Dec. Changes are suppose to take effect 04/15/2013 though. We shall see.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

If they made the iPhone wider, I could still use it one handed. It's the dimensions that's messed up.

Imagine if they made it wider but not taller.

How is it "messed up"? lol...this is what i find funny about these threads, the assumption that something is wrong and needs to be changed because a particular person wants something different. Apparently they did something pretty substantially RIGHT with their unorthodox size increase (looking at the popularity of this version of iPhone and the response to the new screen size after it's release).

bujin

May 15, 2009
Visit site
I'd mostly be worries about a battery life hit if the screen were larger. But having used the original Evo, I much prefer the 5's size, and have an iPad mini if I want larger.

return_0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

A child can certainly hold the 4.7" Nexus in one hand and use it with his other hand. He cannot possibly hold and use (which is what one-handed use means) with one hand.

Meh, I was being a little loose with the term. A teenager can certainly use a Nexus 4 one-handed. I'm pretty sure my memory is not at fault.

return_0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Smartphones aren't really made for children anyway so I don't see why that matters.

These days, you have 2-year-olds using tablets and smartphones and knowing their way around them. So smartphones aren't made for children but can certainly be used, even to their full function, by children.

return_0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Apparently they did something pretty substantially RIGHT with their unorthodox size increase (looking at the popularity of this version of iPhone and the response to the new screen size after it's release).

Also look at the popularity of 4.5"-5.5" Android phones.

return_0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

All I'm saying is that Apple could certainly benefit from a larger phone. Heck, why not release two versions? 4" and 4.7"? They're really taking it too far with this stubbornness thing.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
All I'm saying is that Apple could certainly benefit from a larger phone. Heck, why not release two versions? 4" and 4.7"? They're really taking it too far with this stubbornness thing.

Let's say for a moment that Apple is indeed being 'stubborn' about releasing a larger sized iPhone. They are not obligated in any way, shape or form to cater to things we desire. It is Apple's product to which we either choose to purchase or choose not to purchase. Period. I will never understand how some people (this is not an attack on you) acknowledges the fact that other manufacturers provide larger sized & open-friendly smartphones but instead opt to expend time and energy harping on Apple for not following the crowd. Furthermore, these same people proclaim that having a "choice" is a good thing but then discredits Apple's "choice" to stick to a smaller size smartphone.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

The iPhone 5 is the perfect size in my opinion. It should have been this size from the start. If they decide later on to make the iPhone bigger, it should the same size as the iPad Mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you cant be serious. ipad size!?

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Let's say for a moment that Apple is indeed being 'stubborn' about releasing a larger sized iPhone. They are not obligated in any way, shape or form to cater to things we desire. It is Apple's product to which we either choose to purchase or choose not to purchase. Period. I will never understand how some people (this is not an attack on you) acknowledges the fact that other manufacturers provide larger sized & open-friendly smartphones but instead opt to expend time and energy harping on Apple for not following the crowd. Furthermore, these same people proclaim that having a "choice" is a good thing but then discredits Apple's "choice" to stick to a smaller iPhone.

You made some really good points in this post. But I disagree with what I've bolded. Sure they arent obligated, but they do need to look out for what their user base does want. Expressing opinion and "harping" on Apple to change, may bring about some changes. I think thats why the iphone 5 went with a bigger screen. The community said they wanted it.

If Apple pays zero attention to their customers, and their customer keep buying just because its Apple... I don't think that right. Or fair to Apple or the customers. Customers should be able to ask for what they want. And Apple should optimize what they can deliver.

return_0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Let's say for a moment that Apple is indeed being 'stubborn' about releasing a larger sized iPhone. They are not obligated in any way, shape or form to cater to things we desire. It is Apple's product to which we either choose to purchase or choose not to purchase. Period. I will never understand how some people (this is not an attack on you) acknowledges the fact that other manufacturers provide larger sized & open-friendly smartphones but instead opt to expend time and energy harping on Apple for not following the crowd. Furthermore, these same people proclaim that having a "choice" is a good thing but then discredits Apple's "choice" to stick to a smaller size smartphone.

I agree that Apple is not obligated to make a larger iPhone, but I can't see them turning away from something that would just rake in more profits for them. Unless, of course, there's something I'm missing an having two iPhones (a large one and a small one) is unprofitable.

Bias reduX

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Let's say for a moment that Apple is indeed being 'stubborn' about releasing a larger sized iPhone. They are not obligated in any way, shape or form to cater to things we desire. It is Apple's product to which we either choose to purchase or choose not to purchase. Period. I will never understand how some people (this is not an attack on you) acknowledges the fact that other manufacturers provide larger sized & open-friendly smartphones but instead opt to expend time and energy harping on Apple for not following the crowd. Furthermore, these same people proclaim that having a "choice" is a good thing but then discredits Apple's "choice" to stick to a smaller iPhone.
I'll never understand how some people think that anything listed above is a good business plan. Obviously Apple continues to do well with the way it works, which amazes me day by day, but I can tell you that no other company on the planet would last if they ran things the way Apple runs things.

Choice is always in the customers hands, if someone came into my place of work and asked for a single switch circuit breaker and I say you'll get a double. The customer would walk out of my shop and never come back. Now matter how big, well known, etc. my company was, period. (Of course its a little different as my case may be a necessity, while having a phone is not)
There are other options of course, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, but why wouldn't you want those customers to stay? I'm not going to change my product for a wide range of people simply because its not my "choice" as a company to do so. Absurd.

Sure I don't necessarily agree that going bigger or having two different sizes is exactly what Apple needs right now, but there are other things about Apple that I wonder about if they are ever going to change.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You made some really good points in this post. But I disagree with what I've bolded. Sure they arent obligated, but they do need to look out for what their user base does want. Expressing opinion and "harping" on Apple to change, may bring about some changes. I think thats why the iphone 5 went with a bigger screen. The community said they wanted it.

If Apple pays zero attention to their customers, and their customer keep buying just because its Apple... I don't think that right. Or fair to Apple or the customers. Customers should be able to ask for what they want. And Apple should optimize what they can deliver.

Excellent response and thank you for replying. Having said that, when you say that "they do need to look out for what their user base does want", I agree and they have and that is why the iPhone is still small and simple to use. There's somewhat of a misconception of who Apple considers its user base. Some say that it is the non-tech enthusiasts who simply want to pick up their devices and do the things they want to do without difficulty and could care less about techie stuff. I tend to agree with that loose assessment. If they are indeed Apple's core user base then Apple would risk a real backlash ( not the manufactured backlash that's been in the news as of late) if they make drastic changes that those users aren't prepared for. Being that they aren't making those drastic changes, it can be argued that Apple is indeed paying attention.

Last edited:

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Increased from when? From when the iPhone first revolutionized the phone market? Then yes, Android has made strides.

Recently? Apple's market share is up. That means Apple gained customers. If Android gained market, it's from non-Apple shares. That's not exactly relevant to Apple's business process. Could they possibly have gone up more? Maybe. But, growing is growing.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

If you read the post within context, it makes more sense.

Someone else supported your claim that a wider phone is one-handed for children so adults should be able to handle a wider iPhone. Alli replied explaining what one-handed meant in order to explain where a confusion existed in their claim that the wider phone works for children so it would also work for adults.

You're welcome for stating the obvious to you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal