Votes: 112 70.4%
  • No do not go bigger

Votes: 47 29.6%

• Total voters

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Gotta go bigger

The iPhone 5 is the perfect size in my opinion. It should have been this size from the start. If they decide later on to make the iPhone bigger, it should the same size as the iPad Mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctdog

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

An iPad mini that could be used as a phone would be awesome! Given all the graphic intensive stuff phones
are now used for, bigger really IS better.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I think the only way we as the consumers win in this situation is for Apple to create two phones each release, one larger, and one the size of the current 5. Apple's bread and butter is delivering a device to those who desire a device that is comfortable to use with one hand. Of course, this will vary based on the user, but the current size seems to meet the criteria for most one-handed users.

With that said, it cannot be denied that many are longing for a larger iphone. I include myself in this group. Now, I am 6'7" with large hands. The S3 at 4.8" was easy to navigate with one hand. The Note 2....not so much. I may be a bit more of the exception to the rule as far as still finding a larger iphone easily useable with one hand. But there are also the others who are not concerned about one-handed use.....they simply want a larger device. End of story.

While I think it would be a great move from a consumer standpoint to have two sizing options at each new iphone release....I don't know where Apple stands on that. Apple is about profit margin, streamlined manufacturing, etc. My intent is not to delve into all of that here....but my point is if it doesn't increase their bottom line in a healthy manner then I don't see them quickly caving. Samsung seems highly focused on market share and numbers sold vs Apple and their profit driven motives.

While none of us will no for sure until this summer/fall depending on when Tim takes the stage...I think it is pretty safe to say that none of this will matter anytime soon. If you want to know what the 5S/?name? will feel like in the hand, just go hold an iphone 5..... .

Last edited:

jtan99

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

maybe they should make a bigger iphone (height & width) for people with bigger hands :D.
And revert back to the old size for smaller/average handed people. That's one way to segment the market. The "one-size-fits-all-because-we-used-average-hand-size-to-design-this" campaign before doesn't make any sense...my hand is like 2 inches longer than my gf

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

maybe they should make a bigger iphone (height & width) for people with bigger hands :D.
And revert back to the old size for smaller/average handed people. That's one way to segment the market. The "one-size-fits-all-because-we-used-average-hand-size-to-design-this" campaign before doesn't make any sense...my hand is like 2 inches longer than my gf

I have pretty large hands (even for a guy), I can palm a basketball without effort...iPhone 5 fits perfectly in my hand.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Its already too big. The 4/4S is as big as it should've gone. The 5 is too big, as far as I am concerned. Not everyone has big hands or wants a big screen or phablet. If I wanted a phablet, I'd get an Android device.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't be updating to any new iPhone models if they were bigger than the 5. If I want a tablet, I'll get one. I suggest you do the same.

saudre

Banned
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

^ Yet they advertise the iPad mini as hold in one hand. I can't even type on the phone correctly because its so cramped because of the tiny width.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

^ Yet they advertise the iPad mini as hold in one hand. I can't even type on the phone correctly because its so cramped because of the tiny width.

Hold in one hand. Not use one-handed. That's a world of difference.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I honestly can't see how the 5 is too big. I can hold and use it one handed no problem. I don't have the biggest hands but they aren't the smallest. I don't see how it's too big for any male.

saudre

Banned
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

Hold in one hand. Not use one-handed. That's a world of difference.

If they made the iPhone wider, I could still use it one handed. It's the dimensions that's messed up.

Imagine if they made it wider but not taller.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

If they made the iPhone wider, I could still use it one handed. It's the dimensions that's messed up.

Imagine if they made it wider but not taller.

As I explained previously, the majority of humans on planet Earth could not use it one-handed if it were wider.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
The only reason I bought a 5 was for LTE. I would have preferred the smaller screen size of the 4s. The buttons at the top of the screen are awkward to reach one-handed. Note I didn't say I can't do it, just that it's awkward.

return_0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

The iPhone 5 is geared towards the reach of the average hand. Most iPhone users want to continue being able to use the phone one handed. The majority of humans won't be able to do that if it gets wider.

If a child can use a 4.7" 3:5 Nexus 4 one-handed, I'm pretty sure the average adult can.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

I think the only way we as the consumers win in this situation is for Apple to create two phones each release, one larger, and one the size of the current 5. . . .

While I think it would be a great move from a consumer standpoint to have two sizing options at each new iphone release....I don't know where Apple stands on that.
Apple seems kind of stubborn on these issues to me. I think they would have to lose considerable marketshare before they will release more than 1 model each year.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

If a child can use a 4.7" 3:5 Nexus 4 one-handed, I'm pretty sure the average adult can.

A child can certainly hold the 4.7" Nexus in one hand and use it with his other hand. He cannot possibly hold and use (which is what one-handed use means) with one hand.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

I think that's a terrible assessment.

That's why there are so many choices out there. Our opinions differ. Please remember they are just that: opinions. It doesn't make anyone wrong or right. If Apple's opinion differs from yours, there is a world of larger Android phones out there to try.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Apple seems kind of stubborn on these issues to me. I think they would have to lose considerable marketshare before they will release more than 1 model each year.

Maybe. If, however, they are following a well thought out business road map, I wouldn't consider that being 'stubborn'.....;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR