Why do we have to turn our iPhones off on flight...

RobbyRob

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Just watched this on CNN. There is no reason to turn them off. They just have not spent the money for the research to say we can keep them on. Even small aircraft pilots keep them on. So that is a great question.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The pilots' iPads are likely wifi only, and they store the stuff they really need directly on the devices and don't even need wifi in-flight. I've seen news reports that the FAA is looking into relaxing rules to allow devices to remain powered on - just turning off the cellular radio...

Bakerboy2253

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I fly over 100 flights a year, I find it more interesting of late that they have become more anal about making sure your smart phone is off. They are telling people that “airplane mode” isn’t good enough. It must be turned off / powered down all the way.

saudre

Banned
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I mean I don't care. I'm scared of riding on planes anyway. Besides, if you get on those cushy business flights, you'll be being pampered and won't have to worry about being on a phone anyway, :)

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have read that the electromagnetic radiation emitted by the phone can induce some sort of electrical charge in the wiring located all around you.

Of course, the radiation emitted by the phone is likely way too weak for this to happen, even if your phone was physically glued to the wires.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't turn mine off.

if there is a 1/100,000,000 chance that something goes wrong, why take it? so you can play angry birds?

if it was just you, you can take that risk. but its not fair to make the decision for others and put them at risk

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
if there is a 1/100,000,000 chance that something goes wrong, why take it? so you can play angry birds?

if it was just you, you can take that risk. but its not fair to make the decision for others and put them at risk

When is the last time you've heard of a plane crashing because someone didn't turn off their iPhone? Just wondering...

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I fly military aircraft on the regular and this is never a concern. The FAA is investigating stopping the practice altogether for lack of evidence.

el_excelsior

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I fly over 100 flights a year, I find it more interesting of late that they have become more anal about making sure your smart phone is off. They are telling people that “airplane mode” isn’t good enough. It must be turned off / powered down all the way.

It's not so much about communication problems and interference (as there really isn't a problem with having devices on) but privacy /security issue, hence the tightening of late.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

It has no effect and I know I'm not alone in this. Heck, I bet the pilots have theirs on also. I am not playing games, just too lazy to turn it on and off.
The concern is similar to when you couldn't use a cell phone in hospitals due to possible interference with telemetry equipment.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who flies regularly knows that many passengers don't bother to turn off their phones. They are on in their hand luggage or purse and of course nothing bad happens.

The FAA never did any research that showed a problem between cell phones and avionics. They used some UK research from a lab that simulated the radio traffic with cell phones at significantly higher power levels than possible with cell phones.

Never been a risk of interference.

_YoKolorMeBadd

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm wondering why airplane mode isn't good enough. You can't do anything but play games and listen to music with airplane mode off. That in no way interferes with the flight at all.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

Because the *actual* chance of something going wrong is more like 0/100000000. i.e., it ain't gonna happen.

I have a confession to make, I've had both a tablet and smartphone in airplane mode on every flight I've taken in the past year (about 45). Not once have we crashed.

There's a reason why the FAA is looking to remove the restrictions, because they're not based on any real facts.