Charging iPhone with iPad Charger

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up an iPad (and an iPhone - switching from Android, again). I was wanting to only have one charger for both on my nightstand and figured the iPad one would be the way to go.

My question(s) is/are this: is there any issue with charging the iPhone with the iPad charger? What about charging over night?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up an iPad (and an iPhone - switching from Android, again). I was wanting to only have one charger for both on my nightstand and figured the iPad one would be the way to go.

My question(s) is/are this: is there any issue with charging the iPhone with the iPad charger? What about charging over night?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

No, you should not have a problem even if you charge overnight. The connector and cable are the same.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I know the connector is the same, but the iPad is 10 watt and iPhone is 5 watt. Didn't know if that would cause an issue.

I've used the same cable to charge both my iPad 2 & the iPhone 4S numerous times without a problem, especially away from home or staying at a relatives during a visit or something.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've used the same cable to charge both my iPad 2 & the iPhone 4S numerous times without a problem, especially away from home or staying at a relatives during a visit or something.

Awesome! Thanks. I like that it'll charge a bit faster too.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

If you check out the charger section of the Apple Store, you will see that Apple says that the 10w and 12w iPad chargers are compatible with ALL iOS devices - iPods, iPhones and iPads. Absolutely safe, and Apple approved.

Apple 12W USB Power Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I recently ran a bunch of tests and confirmed that the iPhone will draw the same exact amount of power on either the iPhone or iPad USB charging adapters.
The iPhone limits it's intake to 1 amp, so using an iPad charger won't cause any problem.

Since the iPad and iPhone chargers are the same price, I would just get the iPad charger so it'll always work with both unless you're specifically interested in the smaller size.
I also tested about 12 different 3rd party adapters I've collected over the years from 5 watt to 15 watt, and as long as they say they're intended for Apple devices, they all performed the same.on iPhone and iPad.

Technically the iPhone uses 0.93 A rapid charging (battery below 80%) and 1.03 A when the screen is on while rapid charging on both iPad and iPhone chargers. It appears to pull more current to power the device so that it doesn't reduce the current to the charger (so turning off the phone shouldn't make it charge any faster.) Above 80% the iPhone and iPad both gradually reduce charging speed as it gets closer to 100%, and the decline is almost linear above 85% (but not exactly.)

FYI: The Amazon 5W USB charger also performs identically to the 5W Apple iPhone charger.
Amazon.com: Amazon 5W USB Charger: Kindle Store
I've picked up a few on various lightning deals for $5 each time. They're really compact like the Apple ones.
The AmazonBasics 2.1 A charger works great too, but the size and shape isn't as ideal.

There's an Amazon Deals app for iPhone. I set up alerts on the electronics category and to catch deals. :yes:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2