I have been hard reseting probably once a week, possibly even twice. Is this too much or too little? How often should you do it? How exactly does this affect your phone if there isn't any noticeable problems?
    03-29-2013 07:50 AM
    You definitely have something going on, i can't remember the last time i had to do a hard restart on my iPhone 5. Is the phone jailbroken? What specifically is causing you to feel the need to do a hard restart?
    03-29-2013 08:23 AM
    I have been hard reseting probably once a week, possibly even twice. Is this too much or too little? How often should you do it? How exactly does this affect your phone if there isn't any noticeable problems?
    You can do it as often as you want. Like Sean, I can't remember the last time I reset my iPhone 5.
    03-29-2013 08:31 AM
    As Sean stated there is something going on with your phone that might warrant a trip to your local Apple store to have it checked out.
    03-29-2013 08:43 AM
    Why are you doing a hard reset? You shouldn't have to do it that often.
    03-29-2013 08:46 AM
    I don't think the OP has anything wrong--he or she is just doing it to do it. (The post mentions that there are "no noticeable problems.") My brother-in-law does this every morning, saying he feels like it gives his device a "fresh start" each day. I don't think it's necessary but I doubt it's hurting anything.
    Barry.exe likes this.
    03-29-2013 11:13 AM
    Can't hurt !!
    03-29-2013 11:32 AM
    I don't think the OP has anything wrong--he or she is just doing it to do it. (The post mentions that there are "no noticeable problems.") My brother-in-law does this every morning, saying he feels like it gives his device a "fresh start" each day. I don't think it's necessary but I doubt it's hurting anything.
    If this is the case, it's not going to do any harm to the device, but it's kind of pointless. A hard restart is really more of a problem solving "solution" to a frozen app or wonky performance. Doing it for a performance refresh or boost is really not going to yield such.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    03-29-2013 11:37 AM
    If this is the case, it's not going to do any harm to the device, but it's kind of pointless. A hard restart is really more of a problem solving "solution" to a frozen app or wonky performance. Doing it for a performance refresh or boost is really not going to yield such.
    Once again I have to agree with Sean. Unless I have a major issue as Sean discribed in his previous post for Hard Resets and I don't I only do it if I delete an app and want to make sure all remnants are gone. It cannot hurt but not needed.
    03-29-2013 11:43 AM
    I'm new here but with one gig of Ram there's no need for resets often back in my pre- days with 256 Meg's of ram we use to have an app that scheduled nightly resets but when I gotta my pre2 with 512 it wasn't even needed

My three week iphone5 has no lag at all even with the heavy customizing and downloading I've been doing
    03-29-2013 03:58 PM
    Are you confusing a hard reset with a soft reset?
    Hard reset is factory reset back to original settings and wiping memory.
    Soft reset is when you hold the power button down, swipe to turn it off.
    03-29-2013 05:15 PM
    I have never done a hard reset and I can't remember the last time I did a soft reset.
    03-29-2013 07:33 PM
    Are you confusing a hard reset with a soft reset?
    Hard reset is factory reset back to original settings and wiping memory.
    Soft reset is when you hold the power button down, swipe to turn it off.
    As we speak of a Hard Reset we are talking about holding down the Power button and the home button until you see the Apple logo and then let go restarting your phone. This does not clear anything but cache and old junk from deleted apps and often helps straighten out odd problems or apps stuck in a loop etc.
    03-29-2013 08:35 PM
    I only hard reset when my msg short-cuts don't work that happens about once a month maybe.
    03-30-2013 08:18 AM
    Per Apple Support, the hard resets we are referring to in this thread are pretty much just like pulling the plug on a desktop computer and should be avoided and only used if the phone will not power off like normal. So only use the 'alternate' reset if your phone is frozen or unresponsive. [Powering off normally] allows the phone to shut down in its normal sequence.
    Not shutting the phone down in its normal sequence could possibly cause issues down the road....

However, before knowing this, I've used that type of reset previously and haven't had any ill effect.
    03-30-2013 11:38 PM
    Per Apple Support, the hard resets we are referring to in this thread are pretty much just like pulling the plug on a desktop computer and should be avoided and only used if the phone will not power off like normal. So only use the 'alternate' reset if your phone is frozen or unresponsive. [Powering off normally] allows the phone to shut down in its normal sequence.
    Not shutting the phone down in its normal sequence could possibly cause issues down the road....

However, before knowing this, I've used that type of reset previously and haven't had any ill effect.
    This suggestion of "future issue" is a CYA response from Apple and nothing more.
    03-31-2013 11:43 AM
    I appreciate all of the responses. There aren't any issues that I am experiencing. I was just doing the hard reset (power button and circle button) to kind of refresh the phone, such as a battery pull for an android. Thanks all!
    04-01-2013 07:27 AM
    It wont hurt the phone, but if you aren't experiencing any problems with it, it isn't necessary to do it every week.
    04-01-2013 01:13 PM
    I appreciate all of the responses. There aren't any issues that I am experiencing. I was just doing the hard reset (power button and circle button) to kind of refresh the phone, such as a battery pull for an android. Thanks all!
    You're wasting your time as you are not getting any legitimate benefits of doing this.
    04-01-2013 01:53 PM
    I do the exact same thing as your brother-in-law for the exact same reason!
    Thanks for sharing, I thought I was the only one and crazy doing this daily.
    04-02-2013 08:56 AM
    Soft reset - normally is going to pertain to a button combination to force the device to shut down.

Factory Reset - complete wipe of device to factory settings.

To answer your question about the soft reset, you should only be doing it if your phone is malfunctioning. (Locked up and wont respond to touch, wont power up or down, and other random minor software issues.

You should NOT soft reset for any other reason, because it is a improper reboot that is there for when the proper reboot is not working. Just as a hard shutdown on the computer, it backfires on the OS and can eventually cause major issues. Which can also happen with the phone because that is not the designed boot down.

Please feel free to power off your device and turn it back on as often as you like (once a day is good).

Apple recommends letting the phone die to 0% once a month and then follow up with a full 100% charge for 6-8 hours. This is to calibrate the battery.

experience:
    -iPhone Apple Masters Program 2013-current
    -Technical Professional for Wireless company.
    04-27-2015 01:09 PM