Sorry, you cant buy a $580 iPhone 5 from T-Mobile and then sign up with another carrier you have to give T-Mo at least once month of service.
    T-Mobile is still selling a commitment-free iPhone for full price even if it doesnt stand to gain from the transaction as a service provider. T-Mobile is essentially becoming a phone retailer as well as carrier, and I think that has significant implications for the industry.
    03-29-2013 03:19 AM
    Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint are all retailers too. You can buy phones outright if you want from them. Most people don't (or are unaware they can) because they get sticker shock seeing the actual cost of these devices.
    03-29-2013 08:32 AM
    Yes, all carriers offer the ability to pay full price for a device and then keep it without a contract. T-Mobile is just using a different strategy to try and get and keep customers.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    03-29-2013 09:03 AM
    Sorry, you cant buy a $580 iPhone 5 from T-Mobile and then sign up with another carrier you have to give T-Mo at least once month of service.
    T-Mobile is still selling a commitment-free iPhone for full price even if it doesnt stand to gain from the transaction as a service provider. T-Mobile is essentially becoming a phone retailer as well as carrier, and I think that has significant implications for the industry.
    Tmobile will sell it to you for full price which is actually $649 even if you're going directly to another carrier. You get the $580 price (whether all at once or their installment plan) if you sign up for at least 1 month of service.
    03-29-2013 09:04 AM