Upgrade to iPhone 5

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I am probably beating a dead horse at this point, but I am in full agreement with all of you. When I go to do something on my daughter's iphone 4, it is night and day in terms of speed. And regardless what some might say, the extra half inch screen real estate is indeed noticeable and nice. Where I have truly seen the difference is in jailbreaking. While I am not recommending anyone jailbreak their device, in my experience, I have yet to notice a performance breech since adding the numerous tweeks and changes to my 5. I cannot say that has been the case in the past for me. Apple did a fantastic job cramming all the improvement they did in a much lighter, thinner, and gorgeous device.

I have owned, at least for the 14 day trial period, the Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy Note 2. For me personally, the iphone 5 is the top dog in my world.

bustermin

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate everyone's input and advice I think we will wait for the next iPhone to be released and then upgrade I assume it will be out some time this year and we have suffered this long what's a few more months....

elmtube

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I say, unless you know specifically why you wont to switch to the S4, then stick with iPhone, no matter which one ;) I love my iPhone 5!

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of switching to the iPhone from Windows Phone. The issues I am having with WP8 are endless to say the least. Is there some sort of notification center on the lock screen for emails and such like in WP8?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking of switching to the iPhone from Windows Phone. The issues I am having with WP8 are endless to say the least. Is there some sort of notification center on the lock screen for emails and such like in WP8?

You can receive notification on the iPhone lockscreen for email, text messages, game alerts, Social networking alerts, calendar & reminderalerts , etcetera.

ashykat

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I'd say the main issue is the device is extremely slow (I came from Blackberry and it is much slower than that). I have taken them into Apple several times and had the device restored to factory, I have done it a few times myself via iTunes with not much difference. The battery life is horrible it takes hours to charge and then only lasts about 3 hours when it's not in use (apple says there's nothing wrong with the battery) and now when my wife plugged her device in this morning it gives the spinning circle icon and just keeps vibrating until she unplugs it she did a reboot and it continued and a little while later it stopped an began charging. If it wasn't for these issues I don't think we would even think twice about getting the iPhone 5 or whatever is out when we decide to do it. Personally my only dislike is the speed and battery. Also, just a note we were having these same issues on IOS5 and they have only gotten worse since being forced to go to IOS6 when apple did the restore.

When you/they did the restore and set up as new, did you then restore from a backup (either iCloud or iTunes)?

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I left Blackberry a few months ago to try the 4S and I couldn't be happier. I've been thinking about the iPhone 5, but I'll probably wait until the 5S is released later this year.

bustermin

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
When you/they did the restore and set up as new, did you then restore from a backup (either iCloud or iTunes)?

The first few times we did a restore we did use an iCloud and iTunes back up but then we thought we were bring a corrupt file back in when restoring so we restored without restoring from a back up and no difference.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The first few times we did a restore we did use an iCloud and iTunes back up but then we thought we were bring a corrupt file back in when restoring so we restored without restoring from a back up and no difference.

Sounds like the iPhone 4 just doesn't handle iOS 6 that well.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah there are a ton of satisfied iphone 5 users, especially here on the forums. Definitely sounds like it is time for an upgrade.

Of course an Apple forum will be full of iPhone 5 lovers. Just as an S3 forum will be full of S3 lovers. You can't form you opinion from these forums. I'd recommend trying the S3 for a while. You have a return policy. That way you'll know what it's like in comparison. As someone who had the 4s, 5 and S3, they are all great phones. If you've used the 4s then you've used the 5 so you'll know what you're going into. It's a faster and bigger 4s with a nicer screen. Try the S3 and form you opinion. It has its advantages but so does the 5. It's about what works best for you.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(snipped)...You can't form you opinion from these forums
Yes, you can, especially if the opinions of others are unbiased and from people who have used both devices and have given unbiased opinions.
I'd recommend trying the S3 for a while. You have a return policy. That way you'll know what it's like in comparison.
Agreed
As someone who had the 4s, 5 and S3, they are all great phones.
I can attest to the 4S & the 5
f you've used the 4s then you've used the 5 so you'll know what you're going into.
In regard to iOS, the familiarity will indeed be the same, but the user experience will be slightly different. The snappiness of the 5 exceeds that of it predecessor and the experience is noticeable.
It's a faster and bigger 4s with a nicer screen.
I used to think that until I actually bought the 5.
Try the S3 and form your opinion. It has its advantages but so does the 5. It's about what works best for you.
No doubt.

punbb

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, the Z10! I know, I know. But I just got the Z10 and it blows the iphone away. I am not that big into apps, other than the ones I need. I'm also not a 13 year old who needs 100 useless apps. The Z10 is unbelievable. I like how I can catch a view of my notifications (emails, texts, fb, etc) without having to exit anything.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, the Z10! I know, I know. But I just got the Z10 and it blows the iphone away. I am not that big into apps, other than the ones I need. I'm also not a 13 year old who needs 100 useless apps. The Z10 is unbelievable. I like how I can catch a view of my notifications (emails, texts, fb, etc) without having to exit anything.

It's good to know that the Z10 is working out well for you and others....:)

punbb

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not into these brand wars. I just think the Z10 is the best phone I have ever had. That is just IMHO.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not into these brand wars. I just think the Z10 is the best phone I have ever had. That is just IMHO.

There is nothing wrong with that. I've owned a lot of mobile phones and smartphones dating back to 1989 and my attitude has been this: If I want it, I will buy it and if I buy it, I will learn to use it thoroughly to enhance my mobile needs and I could care less if others opt for something different. It's my money and my choice just like it is their money and their choice...;)

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with that. I've owned a lot of mobile phones and smartphones dating back to 1989 and my attitude has been this: If I want it, I will buy it and if I buy it, I will learn to use it thoroughly to enhance my mobile needs and I could care less if others opt for something different. It's my money and my choice just like it is their money and their choice...;)

This.

Let your wallet speak.

MacIntense

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a 4S and my wife has the 4. I definitely know what you are talking about with the issues. My wife's 4 has started to become really slow and I am not sure if the new apps are just wearing it out or what. My 4S is very good but I find that I really want the 4G LTE option. I am thinking of upgrading to the 5 but am trying to convince myself to hold out until August to get the 5S. Does anyone think that the 5S will be a major upgrade from the 5?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods