iPhone 5 Screen Cracked-How Do I Replace It?

torry9

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 5 screen is cracked if I take it into buddy at apple and say can you replace the screen ? What's he goin to tell me yes we can replace the screen for $$ or no we can't do that but ill sell you another one for 229 ..

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: How does it work ? Just want simple answer

iPhone 5 screen is cracked if I take it into buddy at apple and say can you replace the screen ? What's he goin to tell me yes we can replace the screen for $$ or no we can't do that but ill sell you another one for 229 ..

Easiest answer=call the Apple store and ask. They might not all have the same answer.

boldBud

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

If its not under warranty they'll probably just repair the screen at a price or replace it with a refurbished unit.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

As Massie said, Call Apple it can't hurt. More than likely unless you bought insurance like Assurance or Applecare + it is going to cost you.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

The most likely scenario at the Apple store is that they'll take your iPhone 5, and you'll pay them the $229 and they'll give you a refurbished model (some heavier volume stores are apparently repairing them now instead, but i would imagine you still run a better chance of getting a replacement vs. a repair).

You can take it to a local repair shop to have it replaced...just out of curiosity I called a couple of pretty well known repair shops here in Atlanta, one called Phone Guru quoted me $200, the other called Bob Knows Phones quoted me $179 (both said it could be done in about an hour and warrantied work). I think in both cases i would just spend the extra money and have Apple do it, but that's just me.

torry9

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

So there mostlikey just gunna take the phone and ill be coughing up the 229 for a new one

Chase Isley

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Yeah... $229 for a refurbished one, but they are like new. They look like they have never been used. You can also search locally for repair shops. They will replace the screen itself for cheaper and you will keep the same phone.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Yeah... $229 for a refurbished one, but they are like new. They look like they have never been used. You can also search locally for repair shops. They will replace the screen itself for cheaper and you will keep the same phone.

I checked iPhone 5 Repair - iPhone Repair and it is $319 (ouch!) for front glass and lcd repair. Did not see an option for glass only. They fixed the front glass of an iphone 3G for me a couple years ago for about $60 though. You could call them and see if that is an option even though it is not listed on the website. They seemed to be pretty flexible about that stuff when I worked with them. It may depend on what parts are available for repairing devices. Good luck.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

I checked iPhone 5 Repair - iPhone Repair and it is $319 (ouch!) for front glass and lcd repair. Did not see an option for glass only. They fixed the front glass of an iphone 3G for me a couple years ago for about $60 though. You could call them and see if that is an option even though it is not listed on the website. They seemed to be pretty flexible about that stuff when I worked with them. It may depend on what parts are available for repairing devices. Good luck.

They never replace the glass alone, it's always the glass and digitizer. Also, any company that charges more than Apple to repair is simply not setup to do the repairs and are most likely sending it out and trying to make a profit over the ACTUAL repair cost that they're paying. $319 is just stupid...especially when Apple will do it for substantially less and have it back to you in about 2 hours (depending on traffic of the store).

avmsam

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
The screen for 4S/4 is cheap to replace but apparently most 3rd party stores are charging around $200 to replace screen on the 5.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Torry9, have you gotten your iPhone 5 screen replaced since your March posting?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro