Not really...there are apps (or used to be) that allowed files to be "saved" within the app, almost like saving the website address to an MP3 file on Safari and accessing it. Not really the same as saving directly to the iPhone (which, thankfully, is not possible since it would open the door to all kinds of issues that you find on other platforms that allow this kind of thing).

I always get wary of these threads when the first post says "I know on Android we can...", usually spells out the obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    estroh likes this.
    07-28-2013 04:14 AM
    Itools, works great and a lot easier than iTunes. From running the program to learning how to use it to putting some Spanish lessons mp3 on iphone without a sync took only a few minutes, too easy. Tip you to put the mp3's into iTunes then drag to itools, loads only the mp3 automatically.
    01-08-2014 09:18 AM
    Itools, works great and a lot easier than iTunes. From running the program to learning how to use it to putting some Spanish lessons mp3 on iphone without a sync took only a few minutes, too easy. Tip you to put the mp3's into iTunes then drag to itools, loads only the mp3 automatically.
    Not sure how this is answering what the original post was asking (ie. download directly to Music app on iPhone).
    01-14-2014 06:57 PM
    Add music to your iTunes library and sync.
    Keith, I'm new to the iPhone/iOS world, having come from many years of Blackberry and Android. I have a pair of iPhone 5s's (one for me & one for wife). I have a bunch of classical music CD's that I can rip into MP3 files with no problem. Also, I know how to modify each mp3 file's metadata.
    1. What is the best way to transfer these to the iPhone. I've never used iTunes except for the App store (I don't know if it even uses iTunes)?
    2. Does the iPhone have a concept similar to albums, so if you have a bunch of tracks (mp3 files) that you want to keep together, you can?
    3. How are the tracks stacked/ordered in the iPhone? Do you need to manipulate each track's metadata, such as the 'title' field?
    4. How are the albums arranged? Alphabetical order? By which metadata field?
    5. Do you know of any utility (I'm a Windows guy) to make this job easier?

Thanks for your help!
    02-21-2014 08:43 PM
    Keith, I'm new to the iPhone/iOS world, having come from many years of Blackberry and Android. I have a pair of iPhone 5s's (one for me & one for wife). I have a bunch of classical music CD's that I can rip into MP3 files with no problem. Also, I know how to modify each mp3 file's metadata.
    1. What is the best way to transfer these to the iPhone. I've never used iTunes except for the App store (I don't know if it even uses iTunes)?
    2. Does the iPhone have a concept similar to albums, so if you have a bunch of tracks (mp3 files) that you want to keep together, you can?
    3. How are the tracks stacked/ordered in the iPhone? Do you need to manipulate each track's metadata, such as the 'title' field?
    4. How are the albums arranged? Alphabetical order? By which metadata field?
    5. Do you know of any utility (I'm a Windows guy) to make this job easier?

Thanks for your help!
    Here's how iTunes works in transferring the tracks from your PC to the iPhone: https://support.apple.com/kb/ht1535

If you are not a fan the whole iTunes sync issue, use copytrans manager - a lightweight free alternative which is really stripped down but works just fine for adding songs/videos to the iphone. http://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php

The tracks are automatically ordered on the iPhone in Albums and Artists (alphabetical order) according to the metadata of the song.
    Last edited by Kaitokomauri; 04-04-2014 at 06:17 AM.
    Quest Graves likes this.
    03-03-2014 05:28 AM
    Your patience is amazing. After reading your reply at the top of the Forum I kept going and getting confused. Thank you for your clarity and helpfulness.
    05-09-2014 12:39 PM
    When you say that it can't be any easier than adding it to iTunes and then syncing it, I must wonder if you realized that the extra step precludes it from being the easiest possible way to add music to a phone.

Someone sends me an mp3, I download it into my phone by clicking on it. That, is easy.

Adding it to a program after receiving it, then syncing two machines, is not the easiest method, by far.

I have a macbook pro, an iphone, an ipad air, and now a samsung galaxy S5 that is kicking my iphone to death in terms of capacity, screen size, chip speed, and the ability to change memory cards and.....batteries!

When my iphone and the rest die, I'm finished with apple. Paid too much for tech that is almost always behind the times, and less convenient.
    07-31-2014 11:12 PM
    When you say that it can't be any easier than adding it to iTunes and then syncing it, I must wonder if you realized that the extra step precludes it from being the easiest possible way to add music to a phone.

Someone sends me an mp3, I download it into my phone by clicking on it. That, is easy.

Adding it to a program after receiving it, then syncing two machines, is not the easiest method, by far.

I have a macbook pro, an iphone, an ipad air, and now a samsung galaxy S5 that is kicking my iphone to death in terms of capacity, screen size, chip speed, and the ability to change memory cards and.....batteries!

When my iphone and the rest die, I'm finished with apple. Paid too much for tech that is almost always behind the times, and less convenient.
    Hello! Who is the "you" your talking with? The last comment was in May. There's another thread about your subject.
    07-31-2014 11:49 PM

I don't get it ...

Just because you can't transfer some music to your phone than you said :
    the tech that are always behind the time !!!!! ????

WoW ... I mean I never heard some like this before ,
    What is exactly the issue you are complaining about ?
    Why you said apple is a tech behind the time ?

I am really confused here regarding your point !

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    08-01-2014 01:35 AM
    If you have an Medio converter, you can download any formats music.
    Go to ifunia, you will find you want.
    08-14-2014 11:17 PM
    What specifically do you mean by issues? That is an ignorant response. I'm a software engineer as well as long time mobile developer and it is exhausting to hear about these potential "issues" that freely downloading files "open up" to various platforms. IT sounds scary right? What if someone downloads a virus? I have yet to find a case of this actually happening because there are other security layers that protect against these threats. However, the inability to freely download various files has been a huge headache especially to those of us that rely on that stuff every day. I can't count how many times I've saved computers from infection by downloading software to my phone to transfer to a laptop or desktop, or fixed wireless driver issues...anyway thank you for adding to the paranoia and uninformed speculation about potential security problems that open platforms have. Yes I use an Android Note 3 and for the above posted reasons. I have three batteries an external charger and a 64 GB SD.
    10-18-2014 08:42 PM
    Finally a solution. I've been trying to share a lecture to a colleague who uses iPhone. I know it sucks, but thank you for providing a solution.
    10-18-2014 08:45 PM
    I know this is an ancient thread, but Rick nailed it. I look after IT, among other things, for a 1,500 member private golf club. We have a website with SSO to two other sites, plus a voicemail system that forwards voicemail messages in mp3 format via email. We joined a corporate mobile phone plan when the 5s was the phone to get. Currently none of our 5s users who have updated to 8.3 can open the voicemail mp3's. It works on Android, BB10, iPhone 6, any browser on a PC, but not on the 5s. And since the last few os updates, hundreds of members' Apple devices - iphones, ioads, macbooks - have versions/settings that do not play nice with all three websites. iTunes made me hate Apple years ago, and it keeps getting worse. That said, if anyone has suggestions re opening mp3's received via email, I would be most appreciative.
    05-08-2015 12:52 AM
    There are also some apps on Appstore that you can download mp3
    05-20-2015 11:23 AM
    I'm trying to learn how to do this also.
    09-16-2015 11:23 PM
    I'm using iphone and samsung tab. . Iphone sucks when it comes to downloading files. Android on the other hand is a friendly user.
    01-20-2016 03:15 AM
    Is there any way to download mp3 to the iphone directly? I kniw with android we have this ability but with iphone how do you do it?
    05-21-2016 05:30 PM
    I searched for "fonepaw" in the app store and could not find it. In any event, is there an app to manage and play the mp3 tracks?
    05-30-2016 02:12 PM
    I'm an absolute beginner, and it's just frustrating to:
    a) have visual contact with my .mp3 files on my laptop
    and
    b) have my iPhone connected via a usb
    and
    c) not able to just make a directory on my iPhone and transfer the files (storing them on my iPhone).

Is there any way I can tell iTunes to look at a directory on my laptop !?
    07-06-2016 12:16 AM
    I'm an absolute beginner, and it's just frustrating to:
    a) have visual contact with my .mp3 files on my laptop
    and
    b) have my iPhone connected via a usb
    and
    c) not able to just make a directory on my iPhone and transfer the files (storing them on my iPhone).

Is there any way I can tell iTunes to look at a directory on my laptop !?
    Hi, welcome to iMore.
    It's far more easier than that, simply open iTunes and the folder with the music side by side on your computer, select all songs and drag it to iTunes and drop it, hit sync in iTunes and Kees is ready (a fellow Dutch guy)
    scruffypig likes this.
    07-06-2016 07:12 AM
45 12