iPhone 5 took a licking, kept on ticking.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
there is no way that damage was from 80 feet. probably only 10 feet max.

I am terrible at estimating height, so I am probably off, but this is the ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqBf_nEKh8Y

It wouldn't have fallen off until it flipped me over and according to my family that was watching me, they didn't notice anything fall until it reached peak height (which is around the 1 minute mark) and started flipping me over. After watching the video, I don't think 80 ft. is even close to correct, but I can't guess how much it is. It's not 10 though...nor even as low as 20. Sure felt like 80 feet when spinning around.

Last edited:

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Only a slight scratch on my iPhone would drive me crazy. I couldn't continue using my iPhone with that sort of damage. I will admit its the most durable iPhone so far and much more durable than most smartphones on the market that you only have to drop from waist height on to the corner and the whole screen normally shatters. Not going to point the finger cough (Galaxy S3) cough.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Only a slight scratch on my iPhone would drive me crazy. I couldn't continue using my iPhone with that sort of damage. I will admit its the most durable iPhone so far and much more durable than most smartphones on the market that you only have to drop from waist height on to the corner and the whole screen normally shatters. Not going to point the finger cough (Galaxy S3) cough.

It'll get to me eventually.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Um, duh, I fully realize you are kidding. Cool your jets.

Also--"person"? Is my gender that difficult to figure out from my name and signature?

I am terrible at estimating height, so I am probably off, but this is the ride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqBf_nEKh8Y

It wouldn't have fallen off until it flipped me over and according to my family that was watching me, they didn't notice anything fall until it reached peak height (which is around the 1 minute mark) and started flipping me over. After watching the video, I don't think 80 ft. is even close to correct, but I can't guess how much it is. It's not 10 though...nor even as low as 20. Sure felt like 80 feet when spinning around.
I think I just puked seeing it still, I didn't even click that damn video.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I've dropped my iPod touch a few times onto the sidewalk and it doesn't have a mark on it.

I just want to clarify is apple care only for manufacturing defaults? Or would it cover accidents like dropping it?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I've dropped my iPod touch a few times onto the sidewalk and it doesn't have a mark on it.

I just want to clarify is apple care only for manufacturing defaults? Or would it cover accidents like dropping it?

AppleCare is for manufacturer defects. AppleCare plus is for accidents like mine, with restrictions.

mpgo4th

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site

Apple care plus covers up to 2 device replacements in the two year contract. They charge $49.99 for each replacement and it covers damage from impact,water and your normal opps monents. It does not cover lose or stolen phones. I went with apple care just because the Verizon insurance phones are mostly crap and it would cost $240 bucks for the life of my contract and still had a huge deductable.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Well I went camping this past weekend and some dirt got into the very slight opening on the side where it fell. I think it will cause issues (probably not) and am going to replace it today. Oh well...it still runs good but I am concerned about other elements getting in eventually.

And no, still no plans to use a case. They are ugly and I am careful enough with my phone, just didn't secure it properly on the ride that flipped me upside down.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I went camping this past weekend and some dirt got into the very slight opening on the side where it fell. I think it will cause issues and am going to replace it today. Oh well...it still runs good but I am concerned about other elements getting in eventually.

Yeah, I think you're being wise to replace it at this time. Besides, if that is what your gut is telling you to do then listen to it...:)

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Spilt beer into my iPhone 5 earpiece this weekend. Immediately after I tested the earpiece and the volume was very low even at the highest setting. The next day when I woke up everything was as good as new. These phones sure can withstand a lot. Oh and I never use a case, I have an Otterbox but I just think that it takes away from the aesthetics.

If I ever hear about you being so careless as to spill beer again I will summon the man brigade and we will hunt you down!