iPhone 5 took a licking, kept on ticking.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
So I was at the Houston rodeo carnival today and was riding Tango, which gets you high up and spins you around. I always keep my iPhone in my back pocket (I never use a case). When I got off the ride, I noticed the phone wasn't there. It had fallen about 80 feet onto the metal bottom. I saw it, picked it up thinking the worst. Bottom right corner was bent inwards, antenna seam is out of place, display came slightly apart, but glass is not cracked or anything. It did show an invalid SIM message. Reboot fixed it, works fine. A part of me wants to replace it (no insurance) because the aesthetics are screwed, but another wants to proudly show serious battle damage.

Needless to say, I'm impressed by the toughness. Or luck?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So I was at the Houston rodeo carnival today and was riding Tango, which gets you high up and spins you around. I always keep my iPhone in my back pocket (I never use a case). When I got off the ride, I noticed the phone wasn't there. It had fallen about 80 feet onto the metal bottom. I saw it, picked it up thinking the worst. Bottom right corner was bent inwards, antenna seam is out of place, display came slightly apart, but glass is not cracked or anything. It did show an invalid SIM message. Reboot fixed it, works fine. A part of me wants to replace it (no insurance) because the aesthetics are screwed, but another wants to proudly show serious battle damage.

Needless to say, I'm impressed by the toughness. Or luck?

View attachment 28518

View attachment 28519

Nice! Now watch.... later on you might drop it on a pillow and see it shatter to bits...(laughing)

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That's quite impressive that your phone took a beating like that and the glass didn't break. Either that's luck or Apple made the glass stronger.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
my 1st gen ipod touch has taken similar beatings, even being on the roof of a car and falling off as a I drove away, and apart from some scratches on the screen its in great shape!

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I would probably replace it simply bec you might have issues with it working well as the antenna is loose.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Wow! I would probably replace it simply bec you might have issues with it working well as the antenna is loose.

It's been working fine. Data is rock solid, voice is working fine as well....Wi-Fi too. I probably will at some point, but I don't have AppleCare Plus or insurance, so it'd cost $229.

quamdar

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Makes me happy with my choice to go naked (I have applecare+) cause all I'm worried about is the waist high drop from not making it in my pocket when I'm not paying attention which now I'm fairly confident it can handle LOL

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Makes me happy with my choice to go naked (I have applecare+) cause all I'm worried about is the waist high drop from not making it in my pocket when I'm not paying attention which now I'm fairly confident it can handle LOL

YMMV. I am sure with the wrong angle of it falling, your luck may not be as good as mine.

Terrigno

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
That's a shame that it happened, but good news seeing how durable the phone is. Id put a bumper on it and call it a night. Until you get the funds and can get another.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I am not bankrolling your carelessness.

I laugh that you think I was serious. Silly person. I don't need your funds, I just choose not to fix it until it dies. Or until it the aesthetics bug me enough to replace it. It 100% works in every way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen