Do anybody know why my iphone5 is rusting?

OnePratama

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Dear reader, I`d like to know why is that my iphone5 at the back side of the metal part is rusting? As far as I know it made from Aluminium. I used to wipe it with cleaning towel which a lil bit of liquid to clean glasses tho. Since then I simply wipe it without any liquid.:confused:

OnePratama

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
rust i5.jpg

Here I attached you the picture I mention previously, regarding the rusting point indicated with arrows. I love iphone5 as much as you do guys? But I wonder, why this could happened while am taking care my phone as much as my own baby? Should I complain this matter to apple store? How do you thing? Any explanation who ever have their own hypothesis?:confused:

Note: There wasn't any single scratches, or chip before I noticed a rusty spot on my iphone case.

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Could have been small sand particles on the surfaces you put your phone down on that caused minor nicks. Condensation from sweat in the pockets, humid environments, steamy showers could have done the rest.

Of course, all that I said are just theories. That's unfortunate that you're going through that. Hope you can find resolution to your issue.

OnePratama

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
@ SlcCorrado Well, on the other hand i wipe and clean it several times I was courius that how come Aluminium corrode easily I couldn't believe my self. Its positive rust i couldn't even removed it

OnePratama

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Bahadi you are hypothetically correct perhaps?? Cause Aluminium does corrode too after I check it in the website if it is not coated well with the painting.. In this case black. I guess

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That is not rust, lol.

If you set your phone down on varying surfaces without a case, you stand the chance of getting marks on the back of it...you'd be really surprised what tiny particles can do when squished against a hard surface (table, counter, etc) by your phone...it has no where else to go, so damage will be had.

Corrosion is not going to easily (or quickly) happen to the metal pieces of the iPhone...the case on yours is essentially the same material as Apple's macbook line is made out of, and trust me, if the stuff was prone to ANY kind of corrosion issue, we'd have heard about it by now (since they've used the same stuff for quite some time now).

You have surface scratches which I'm guessing are from either not using a case or putting it into a tight fitting case uncleaned and little particles caused this while it moved around in the case itself.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Just look like dings in the paint to me. Doesn't look like rust which is brown/orange on aluminum generally.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
That's not rust. I run a metal distribution shop here in Miami and believe me that's not rust. I sell steel, zinc, and aluminum everyday. That's not RUST.

Sent from iPhone5 via Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all for the clarification.. Appreciate it! I guess i must deal and accept the fact that my phone is ain't silky smooth anymore

It's still "silky smooth"...:)....A few dings & nicks here and there won't take away from it's performance and that's what really important, isn't it?