What's in a scuff?

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Just dropped my iPhone today and got a scuff on the bottom edge. Was using a Griffin Survivor, but thought I should take it off an admire the beauty of the phone for a while. I sat my phone down on a pile of papers on my desk at my office, laid some papers on top of it. When I picked up the entire stack my phone fell to the floor. Now that I have my first blemish, I feel that my phone is ruined. Been thinking of ways to get it replaced. I feel stupid because it is just a small scuff. But I hate that it's there. I don't know why I care so much.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Give it a couple days and you will most likely forget about it. My iPhone 5 has been caseless for the better part of 4 months and it has dings and scratches around the edges. They really aren't noticeable unless you really a scrutinize it. If it still bothers you in a few days put the case back on it and you'll never see the mark. Maybe next time get AppleCare+ and you can get it replaced for $50.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have Apple plus care. And I have been thinking about just taking it in and getting it replaced for the $50 fee. But it seems ridiculous to me to do that. Especially over a stuff.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To be respectfully blunt...;)...It's your phone, your time and your money. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time and gas or Apple employees' time replacing a phone simply because it has a tiny scuff mark on it, especially when you keep it encased most of the time. What if the replacement phone does not perform as well as your current one? You will be ticked at yourself for getting rid of it for a mere scuff mark. Anyway, that's my opinion...;)....Good luck with your decision.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
To be respectfully blunt...;)...It's your phone, your time and your money. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time and gas or Apple employees' time replacing a phone simply because it has a tiny scuff mark on it, especially when you keep it encased most of the time. What if the replacement phone does not perform as well as your current one? You will be ticked at yourself for getting rid of it for a mere scuff mark. Anyway, that's my opinion...;)....Good luck with your decision.

That's what I was thinking, that it would be a waste of time and money. It bothers me that something as insignificant as a small scuff on my phone irks me so badly.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's what I was thinking, that it would be a waste of time and money. It bothers me that something as insignificant as a small scuff on my phone irks me so badly.
No one wants to see their devices damaged, but it's hard not to at least scrape or ding something you use pretty much all day everyday. Know what I mean?

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
No one wants to see their devices damaged, but it's hard not to at least scrape or ding something you use pretty much all day everyday. Know what I mean?

I do. This is the first time since using smartphones that I haven't used a case. I think that I will be able to get over it.

bradenfontaine

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
the same day that my screen protector arrived in the mail, i accidentally scratched my screen with my wedding ring. i felt so bad, like the phone is useless now. of course after applying the screen protector the scratch disappeared and i forgot about it. but seriously, i know how you feel man, but it's not the end.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Ordered the Ringke Slim case on eBay and bought a cheap snap on case from the mall until the Ringke gets here. With the small scuff covered up I feel a little better. Plus the slim case doesn't really add any bulk so the phone still looks and feels sleek. Still wish I hadn't dropped my phone.

bradenfontaine

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Honestly man, it's more amazing how little we drop our phones. It's a disposable commodity. If its covered up you'll soon forget it is even there ;) chin up.

Sent from the Forbidden Fruit

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I do. This is the first time since using smartphones that I haven't used a case. I think that I will be able to get over it.

Thanks. Funny thing is, I only get this way over my phones. And it seems ridiculous because in a year, I will probably be on to something else. And the scuff isn't big at all. It's just I know that the device is flawed now. But since covering it with the slim case, it hasn't bothered me too much.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

I am the same way with my phone. Any blemish has/will bother me. I don't think that makes us bad people, just shows we care about our stuff and want to take care of it :)

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have a scratch on the back of my iPad and it doesn't bother me. Just my phone. I get ridiculous about it. I'm embarrassed to even express all of the crazy options that went through my mind just to rectify the situation. Maybe I have OCD too.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a tiny little scratch on the outer frame of my iPhone right now, and it came from me being an idiot and tossing my phone onto the couch when i got home one day (where it proceeded to bounce off the couch and land on the hard wood floor). It is so tiny that i forget it's there most of the time, but when i remember, and i notice it, it sticks out like a sore thumb lol.

First world problems at their best.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have a tiny little scratch on the outer frame of my iPhone right now, and it came from me being an idiot and tossing my phone onto the couch when i got home one day (where it proceeded to bounce off the couch and land on the hard wood floor). It is so tiny that i forget it's there most of the time, but when i remember, and i notice it, it sticks out like a sore thumb lol.

First world problems at their best.

Exactly, first world problems.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
A month after I got my black iP5 I tried to plug it in at night...w/o turning on a lamp (didn't want to disturb the Mrs.). I missed the mark and scuffed/dinged the bottom right next to the charging port. It bothered me for a while but today... the thought of it really doesn't bother me. It is the dings and scratches that give it character... right?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A month after I got my black iP5 I tried to plug it in at night...w/o turning on a lamp (didn't want to disturb the Mrs.). I missed the mark and scuffed/dinged the bottom right next to the charging port. It bothered me for a while but today... the thought of it really doesn't bother me. It is the dings and scratches that give it character... right?
Yep, and it's also a reminder that all things are perishable...:D

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Otterbox Defender case as soon as my phone gets unboxed. That's what I've done with my last 3 iPhones and they have been in mint condition after my contract is up.

The only time they come out is once a month for cleaning. I remove the case, clean the case fully with solution and q-tips, then I wipe the phone down with iClean solution. The phone is kept on a towel in the middle of the table while cleaning.

I've been able to sell all my iPhones as mint condition-like new using this strategy.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

anon(4144202)

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Otterbox Defender case as soon as my phone gets unboxed. That's what I've done with my last 3 iPhones and they have been in mint condition after my contract is up.

The only time they come out is once a month for cleaning. I remove the case, clean the case fully with solution and q-tips, then I wipe the phone down with iClean solution. The phone is kept on a towel in the middle of the table while cleaning.

I've been able to sell all my iPhones as mint condition-like new using this strategy.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Out of curiosity why do u clean your defender that way? Reason being I usually clean my defender with a touch of dish washing liquid and water and let the case air dry. Just making sure I'm not doing anything wrong in cleaning my defender.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh