Any new news on the T-Mobile iPhone ???

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Do u know what frequencies t-mobile LTE will be on? What is true LTE?

Yes. It's been widely publicized what frequencies it will be. They were purchased and approved by the FCC, so anyone that wants to look can do so.

These devices are programmed to work unlocked on all 3G frequencies that are covered by the GSM or CDMA radios in them. This is not the case for LTE. Each carrier's spectrum is different and the iPhones are programmed to work on certain frequencies.

Verizon and AT&T are the carriers that are offering a full, nationwide LTE experience right now. Sprint has it, but its not nearly as widespread as the others. Once again, if you want LTE on the iPhone, get it with a carrier that fully supports it.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
What is true LTE exactly and what is meant by "get a real carrier" ?

Cheers
Davyo

LTE is a cellular frequency that is mich faster than 3G, '4G', and HSPA+. It's the latest movement in cellular technology. Verizon and AT&T have widely implemented this technology. Sprint has it, but it is limited. T-Mobile plans to start activating LTE towers this year, but they will have a limited coverage area, much like Sprint.

As for a real carrier, Verizon and AT&T are top-tier carriers in the USA. Sprint is a mid-level carrier, and T-Mobile is the lower level, budget carrier. If you want the best coverage experience, go with Verizon or AT&T. It's like the old saying, you get what you pay for.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
My tmobile source told me I will get LTE on my unlocked iPhone 5. They even changed my APN to Fast.T-Mobile.com from the old epc.tmobile.com.

Yup. Eventually when T-Mobile flips the LTE switch, if you are using an unlocked ATT iPhone 5. You will pick up LTE. Just waiting...

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm stunned that they actually got it. But not surprised that its expensive. $580 for what you can get for $199 on the real American carriers.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm stunned that they actually got it. But not surprised that its expensive. $580 for what you can get for $199 on the real American carriers.

You're still paying the same price for the iPhone in the end (or is it out the end...) you're paying AT&T/Verizon a higher monthly fee for your service for them to recoup the subsidy... T-Mobile is simply breaking out the costs and making it visible what you're paying for the phone over 2 years... Imagine if AT&T or Verizon dropped your monthly fee by $30/month, and gave you a separate line-item for installment payments on your hardware...

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
You're still paying the same price for the iPhone in the end (or is it out the end...) you're paying AT&T/Verizon a higher monthly fee for your service for them to recoup the subsidy... T-Mobile is simply breaking out the costs and making it visible what you're paying for the phone over 2 years...

But you have to figure in coverage and network reliability. I like getting consistent coverage and speeds of over 20 Mbps on my iPhone.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
But you have to figure in coverage and network reliability. I like getting consistent coverage and speeds of over 20 Mbps on my iPhone.
And?? There are places in the country where T-Mobile is better, or certainly no worse than Verizon or AT&T. Location...Location...Location.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
And?? There are places in the country where T-Mobile is better, or certainly no worse than Verizon or AT&T. Location...Location...Location.

Very few. I've used T-Mobile phones in various places around the Southeast. Worst coverage I've experienced by far. People have to remember that you get what you pay for. This is especially true with wireless carriers.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Very few. I've used T-Mobile phones in various places around the Southeast. Worst coverage I've experienced by far. People have to remember that you get what you pay for. This is especially true with wireless carriers.

Your experiences are not universal truths. Nor are mine. There are people who are perfectly satisfied with their T-Mobile service and will be even happier when they can get iPhones beginning April 12th.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
lol...how is Tmobile not a "real" American carrier? We arn't talking Boost Mobile here. And the iPhone is the same price every where you go, it's all in the approach...the end result is a mirror.

Reliable service wise, unless you live in the sticks, Tmobile is a fine service provider.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It has now been confirmed that if you purchase the device from T-Mobile and do not stay for the 24 months, you must either return the phone to them or pay the remaining price to keep it. So, it's basically still a contract.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It has now been confirmed that if you purchase the device from T-Mobile and do not stay for the 24 months, you must either return the phone to them or pay the remaining price to keep it. So, it's basically still a contract.
The "contract" is for the purchase of the device on installment and not tied to cellphone service...

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The "contract" is for the purchase of the device on installment and not tied to cellphone service...

Right. But you can't just get the phone and no service contract like many seemed to think. Unless you keep the phone for 24 months of service, it must be returned to them or purchased for the higher price. It's an interesting and confusing strategy.

I have just confirmed this today. If I wanted to purchase the device and take it overseas, it's required to pay full retail or keep the phone for 24 months on T-Mobile.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

You obviously haven't experienced Sprint.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen