From Android to iPhone

TechXero

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree, and the worst part about switching roms is the re-setting up everything, using several different apps to back up app data ect every time you switch and that doesn't even always work. It was more trouble than I wanted to deal with but my stock ics rom was so bad, if I didn't root, my phone was worse...

Like I said Android ain't for everyone... I am on a Nexus Rooted and on a Custom ROM not because I had to but because I enjoy flashing for all the bonus features..

So far I have yet to suffer from all the lag you guys keep talking about... Honestly it is still fast n fluid... So got no idea what you on about.

If it were a non-vanilla Device I would understand completely since I did own an HTC One X before it died and that was a bad experience yeah.

In the end the device is what you make it.

This is a never ending subject so with that said am out xD

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

bunjy

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm also an Android defector, and the biggest reason was the lack of timely updates. Since Android manufacturers are constantly updating phones, support for existing phones becomes more sketchy. I also prefer a slight smaller screen and don't like the 'bigger is better' approach of Android. That being said, I'm glad Android exists because competition raises the bar for everyone, and consumers end up the winners.

quicksilver53

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
You are right. Android is not for everyone. It is for me. I have a one x and happily upgraded to a Nexus4, which is arriving on Wednesday. It will accompany my N7. I still like iOS and am using a jailbroken iPod 5.

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm defecting too, on Monday (all being well). Currently on Android on a HTC Desire and I can't wait to be rid of it.

The reason for me is much the same as many have said above that once you root the phone you are forever tinkering and it's getting on my nerves. Flashing new ROM's all the time is ok for a while but when you constantly have to keep resetting apps etc it soon gets beyond a joke.

I really can't wait to get the iPhone 5 next week. I'm currently on a good tariff with O2 UK so want to stay with them and, due to the fact they still won't unlock the iphone 5 I'm taking a trip to my closest Apple store (40 miles away) to pick one up, if they have it in stock. I'd order it online but there's no way of knowing how long delivery will take and I hate waiting when I've ordered something.

I wouldn't make a 80 mile round trip for an Android phone!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm defecting too, on Monday (all being well). Currently on Android on a HTC Desire and I can't wait to be rid of it.

The reason for me is much the same as many have said above that once you root the phone you are forever tinkering and it's getting on my nerves. Flashing new ROM's all the time is ok for a while but when you constantly have to keep resetting apps etc it soon gets beyond a joke.

I really can't wait to get the iPhone 5 next week. I'm currently on a good tariff with O2 UK so want to stay with them and, due to the fact they still won't unlock the iphone 5 I'm taking a trip to my closest Apple store (40 miles away) to pick one up, if they have it in stock. I'd order it online but there's no way of knowing how long delivery will take and I hate waiting when I've ordered something.

I wouldn't make a 80 mile round trip for an Android phone!

I wouldn't call it defecting. You're simply exercising your right to choose another device. :) Anyway, congratulations on getting a new iPhone 5. I'm sure you will find it suitable for your needs. Take care and have a great day...:D

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Great post. The biggest thing I can complain about with iOS now is customization, and Siri needs some real work compared to it's counter-part Google Now.

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Big android user here for phones and have always had ipads etc. Recently traded out my work blackberry for an iphone 5. The last iphone I owned was the 3GS before jumping to Android. The iPhone 5 is a capable device but it is smaller and so narrow. At first I had trouble typing on it but am getting better since the auto correct is pretty good. I attached a picture to see the width difference. It is certainly better than the blackberry I had. I found myself switching to my Nexus 4 to browse even though it is HSPA+.

Of course the iphone is intuitive and works well. Love it for corporate emails etc. I also really like the imessage. I can message my sisters and college aged daughter for free! I am using my Nexus 4 this week and prefer the size of the Nexus 4. It is much easier to type on due to be a bit wider and taller but the width is what I really noticed. I won't even mention my Note 2 since it is in a league by itself. I guess to me they are both smartphones and are probably more similar than we like to admit.

One thing I wish the iphone had is NFC. I use the tags to automate functions with my android phones which switches my bluetooth on in the car and wifi on at home just by laying the phone on a NFC tag. I also use Google Wallet to buy water, cokes etc from convenient stores and that is usually handy since I am looking at my phone while in line. I also like the wireless charging for my androids.

Overall, I see both platforms as user friendly and customizable. My preference is still android but I can see why people like iphone as well.

Attachments

• 20130411_220508.jpg
    20130411_220508.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I'll disagree with you about Nexus devices in General. I have a Galaxy Nexus that I just want to slam against a wall about 5 times a day. My friends can't call me because they can't get through, and the LTE signal is unstable at times.
As a fellow GNex owner myself I feel your pain. This was Samsung's fault. They did not invest enough in the GNex because it was a Google device, not their flagship Galaxy S series. The GNex radios/antennaes suck and because of it, Samsung has lost me as a customer for life. Except I may get the GNote 3 because I want a phablet, but if the Motorola X is a nice phone with a huge battery, I will get that instead.

planoman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
This 100%
The 2013 high end android flagships still have a bit of lag on them. Android makers End of Life their phones after about just a year. After that, you better be good at unlocking bootloaders and flashing custom ROM's with sketchy stability. I don't buy an HDTV that doesn't work flawlessly as-is out of the box so I can "have the chance" to screw around with it. Same goes for any electronics. iPhone works better than Android without screwing around with it. As an electronic device should be.

Yes, I agree you can do more stuff currently on an android. But it's not worth the trade-offs. Car analogy time! The Korean car company Hyundai, much like Samsung and LG, are basically into making cheaper knock-offs of the more expensive premium Japanese automakers Honda and Toyota. Hyundai cars include more features for free as "standard" than Honda does, who will offer some of those as paid option packages. But When it comes to quality, performance, and workmanship Honda blows Hyndai away by a long shot.

Hyundai: Android
Honda: iPhone

/car analogy

:)

You have not driven a Hyundai lately have you?

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Actually I have a question. I have not really found the value of iMessage yet. What makes it different/better than say Skype or Facebook messengers? (This isn't an arguitive question, I seriously would like to know the value)

I totally agree. What's really it's purpose. Just so I can have a blue text message. Most people don't have every friend or person they need to talk to on an iDevice believe it or not. Most have a few people or most on an android device depending on your crowd. So I just don't even see the need.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
As a fellow GNex owner myself I feel your pain. This was Samsung's fault. They did not invest enough in the GNex because it was a Google device, not their flagship Galaxy S series. The GNex radios/antennaes suck and because of it, Samsung has lost me as a customer for life. Except I may get the GNote 3 because I want a phablet, but if the Motorola X is a nice phone with a huge battery, I will get that instead.

Samsung hasn't lost my business, as I'm extremely interested in the rumored sph-l500 they built for sprint. I need an android phone that can be reliable for times when I need to use sensorly for plotting Sprint LTE.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Great post. The biggest thing I can complain about with iOS now is customization, and Siri needs some real work compared to it's counter-part Google Now.

This is what I thought at first too, but without rooting there are a few customizations android doesn't have like customizing individual contact message tones or customizing how notifications appear. There aren't any real visual ones though (which is probably what you meant) as far as Siri goes I find its even. Google now spoiled me with its it's speed and knowledge and more realistic voice, as well as its notifications based on triggers. However google now isn't as quick to access as Siri. I can grab my iphone and hold down the menu button and get Siri without even needing to unlock. On google, you have to at least unlock and then you can hold down the search button (if you are lucky enough to have one, most new phones don't) I can't imagine it's better on newer phones as most of them have virtual buttons and no search. Surprisingly I use Siri more than google now just because of how much easier it is to access.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
This is what I thought at first too, but without rooting there are a few customizations android doesn't have like customizing individual contact message tones or customizing how notifications appear. There aren't any real visual ones though (which is probably what you meant) as far as Siri goes I find its even. Google now spoiled me with its it's speed and knowledge and more realistic voice, as well as its notifications based on triggers. However google now isn't as quick to access as Siri. I can grab my iphone and hold down the menu button and get Siri without even needing to unlock. On google, you have to at least unlock and then you can hold down the search button (if you are lucky enough to have one, most new phones don't) I can't imagine it's better on newer phones as most of them have virtual buttons and no search. Surprisingly I use Siri more than google now just because of how much easier it is to access.

You're mistaken with google now all you do is swipe up from the home button. It's easier and quicker to access then Siri. I'm talking about the Nexus 4 Androids iPhone really. I think you're thinking about various android handsets. But Google Flagship phone access Google Now far quicker. Nothing to be held down at all. Look it up on YouTube.

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
You're mistaken with google now all you do is swipe up from the home button. It's easier and quicker to access then Siri. I'm talking about the Nexus 4 Androids iPhone really. I think you're thinking about various android handsets. But Google Flagship phone access Google Now far quicker. Nothing to be held down at all. Look it up on YouTube.

Even if the phone is locked And screen is off? If so that's pretty awesome! But unfortunately the nexus line isn't always the best choice. I know the nexus 4 is pretty damn awesome but it didn't come out on sprint and didn't have lte (which I have and would never go back to sprints slow, battery draining 3G. My lte lasts far longer than when I'm on 3G!) I really hope google goes big with the new Moto phone. I feel like the nexus line only appeals to a smaller audience. Even when the galaxy nexus made it to all carriers it was no where near the best phone. They definitely improved that with the nexus 4, but Verizon and sprint combined make up a pretty significant portion of the American market. I think google should honestly put more regulations on manufacturers to produce higher quality phones like the nexus and make the "skins" completely removable. That way buyers can have a good selection of good quality phones

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Even if the phone is locked And screen is off? If so that's pretty awesome! But unfortunately the nexus line isn't always the best choice. I know the nexus 4 is pretty damn awesome but it didn't come out on sprint and didn't have lte (which I have and would never go back to sprints slow, battery draining 3G. My lte lasts far longer than when I'm on 3G!) I really hope google goes big with the new Moto phone. I feel like the nexus line only appeals to a smaller audience. Even when the galaxy nexus made it to all carriers it was no where near the best phone. They definitely improved that with the nexus 4, but Verizon and sprint combined make up a pretty significant portion of the American market. I think google should honestly put more regulations on manufacturers to produce higher quality phones like the nexus and make the "skins" completely removable. That way buyers can have a good selection of good quality phones

The Nexus 4 has always been LTE capable just kept the software locked down. I believe they are about to unlock it for T-Mobile though. And yes Google Now can be accessed from the lock screen.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 4 has always been LTE capable just kept the software locked down. I believe they are about to unlock it for T-Mobile though.
LG would have to go through the FCC approval process for them to unlock the LTE functionality of the device. I doubt they would invest in that now given the age of the device and how fast the technology moves and that the Nexus 4 hardware isn't optimized for LTE.

tanson1011

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I also just switched from android to iOS. And believe me when I say this but I've owned almost all android devices that's currently out...the Note 2, S3, Nexus 4, Raze Maxx HD and Droid DNA. I've also owned the Nexus 7 tablet which I just sold.

For me making the switch back to iOS is the fluidity (is that even a word..lol) of the iPhone. I'm sure no phone is absolutely perfect but my issues with apps forceclosing, lag, lack of accessories and wondering if your device will be updated or not was just enough for me to decide to switch back iOS. People swear up and down some of the issues I stated is non existent in phones like the nexus 4 and note 2 but they are. People also say, well root and flash a rom and you'll be good to go. But my theory is I shouldn't have to flash a rom to make the phone operate the way it should out of the box. And that's one of the big differences between iOS and android..people jb iOS products to add more customizations and features..etc. While on the other hand, most people root their android device in order to flash a rom that has a few tweaks that's supposed to make it run better than being stock.

The issues I have with the ip5 is that it's small in size and not open to customization like android but for me I can get pass that...especially since it can be jailbroken.

In the end though its all up to personal preference and what people need their phone to do. But for me ip5 is what I'm gonna rock for now and probably for awhile until the next big thing comes out ...S4...possibly, but who knows..lol

Sent from my Unlocked iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Lag? On nexus 4? Update issues? You say you don't want to root and Rom and love ios for not having to do that. But mention you jailbreaking to customize the iPhone? Lol. Your a joke

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods