From Android to iPhone

ehhemmer

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
iMessage is useful when you message other people who use iOS devices. It sort of makes regular texting between iphones/ipads/Macs free.

eric6052

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've bounced back and fourth between IOS and Android over the last 3 years. iPod Touch>Droid X>Nook Color>Acer Iconia>iPad 3>HTC Rezound>iPhone. Obviously there's been quite a bit of overlap of owning both at the same time but I've found a pattern where with smartphones and tablets both I started Android and ended up on iOS. My Android tablets were both unstable at times but useable devices, the real problem was the hardware. The charging port on the Nook Color stopped charging and the Acer's screen failed. Getting things replaced and repaired was nothing like going to an Apple store and walking out a satisfied customer 10 minutes later with a new device. So after that I was done with Android Tablets and bought an iPad. My Droid X was a great phone, Motorola makes sturdy hardware and the OS was always pretty stable and I enjoyed customizing my phone. Then I upgraded to an HTC Rezound and things went downhill from there. I'm on my 3rd on in less than a year thanks to hardware and software failures. I've had enough at this point. I bought a refurbished iPhone 4 to get me through until December when I'm up for an upgrade. Since I already have an iPad and iPod Touch everything is familiar. I really haven't missed mech about Android except for larger screen on my Rezound.

TechXero

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
You clearly have not used a Nexus device with vanilla Android. Those things squash any iOS device on the hardware and software side. As for apps quality I do agree to the fullest extent.

Other than that vanilla Android is so good that it has almost eliminated the need to go looking for ROMs n such. Trust me I have been an iOS user since 2007 up until October of last year.

What I hated about iOS was fact that I was forced to Jailbreak in order to use it my way. Also due to a crappy connection to use iTunes rather than the cloud service.

Bottom line is that for me, Android is better and suites my needs better than any iOS device ever will xD

anon(26204)

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I also just switched from android to iOS. And believe me when I say this but I've owned almost all android devices that's currently out...the Note 2, S3, Nexus 4, Raze Maxx HD and Droid DNA. I've also owned the Nexus 7 tablet which I just sold.

For me making the switch back to iOS is the fluidity (is that even a word..lol) of the iPhone. I'm sure no phone is absolutely perfect but my issues with apps forceclosing, lag, lack of accessories and wondering if your device will be updated or not was just enough for me to decide to switch back iOS. People swear up and down some of the issues I stated is non existent in phones like the nexus 4 and note 2 but they are. People also say, well root and flash a rom and you'll be good to go. But my theory is I shouldn't have to flash a rom to make the phone operate the way it should out of the box. And that's one of the big differences between iOS and android..people jb iOS products to add more customizations and features..etc. While on the other hand, most people root their android device in order to flash a rom that has a few tweaks that's supposed to make it run better than being stock.

The issues I have with the ip5 is that it's small in size and not open to customization like android but for me I can get pass that...especially since it can be jailbroken.

In the end though its all up to personal preference and what people need their phone to do. But for me ip5 is what I'm gonna rock for now and probably for awhile until the next big thing comes out ...S4...possibly, but who knows..lol

Sent from my Unlocked iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Same here. The Android devices that I owned were great and I enjoyed using them, however, the one thing I found difficult was fighting the urge to always tinker with it and trying to find the perfect custom ROM and perfect setup and I was very active in a forum not associated with Mobilenations. Anyway, when I opted to buy the 4S, I made up my mind that I would enjoy it as-is and I've successfully done that. I am content with it and with iOS and I will replace my 4S at some point with a 5 or the one after the 5. Not because it may or may not be the best smartphone, but because I like it and it's what I want.

anon(26204)

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Same here. The Android devices that I owned were great and I enjoyed using them, however, the one thing I found difficult was fighting the urge to always tinker with it and trying to find the perfect custom ROM and perfect setup and I was very active in a forum not associated with Mobilenations. Anyway, when I opted to buy the 4S, I made up my mind that I would enjoy it as-is and I've successfully done that. I am content with it and with iOS and I will replace my 4S at some point with a 5 or the one after the 5. Not because it may or may not be the best smartphone, but because I like it and it's what I want.

Thats exactly my point. With android I would stay up late nights flashing roms or trying to find a find a fix for something broken within the rom itself. It became too time consuming. With the iPhone 5, I have it setup to my liking and I'm content.

TechXero

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Thats exactly my point. With android I would stay up late nights flashing roms or trying to find a find a fix for something broken within the rom itself. It became too time consuming. With the iPhone 5, I have it setup to my liking and I'm content.

Ok, from what you said earlier, I kinda agree, except you said it yourself. you would enjoy it more being jailbroken, same as saying you would enjoy a Droid rooted. To me, I enjoy the challenge of flashing ROMs every now and again, but not because I have to, just because I find it fun, and love all the new tweaks.

Still the Play Store leaves me stumped with how clunky, and all over the place it is. I hate it. I prefer App Store to Play Store, it is much more organized and apps are much higher quality. I do not hate iOS mind you, I still own an Phone 4, dead right now but will get board replaced when I get the $$. Can't see myself without an iDevice on the side.

The Nexus 4, however, being Vanilla Android, is amazing to say the least. I have owned an HTC One X a few months back, which made my Android experience HELL. HTC Sense is crap, so I tried flashing Vanilla Android, or to the Android guys here, AOSP/AOKP and CM10, still was not happy. Which leads me to concur with what you said, that I HAD to ROOT it and try ROMs to get a better experience. Not with Nexus 4 coz it comes on Vanilla, so there was no need to root or flash ROMs, I had 320 installed apps n tweaks, no slowness whatsoever. Am not trying to Advertise or sell the N4, just pointing out that it is not a general rule when you say it's laggy or slow, it is what the user makes it.

With iOS, I was Jailbroken on 6.1.2 before it died, had 1 theme on there, very few tweaks, but the phone itself became laggy, why ? Try installing Winterboard see the immediate drop in performance. Now if you are not a theme user, ok, but that's my point, the device acts the way you make it act with what you install, so you cannot blame devs. Phones were made to be used stock, and if you like iOS the way it is, not jailbroken, then fine, it will be smooth, same with Vanilla Android. Dunno what you guys are doing to make it lag, so far with 320 apps on my N4 am suffering of no such thing ... Yet.

Anyway, the Nexus 4 does it for me, it's still fast, smooth, and I am using a custom ROM not because I had to but because I enjoy flashing ROMs.

Anyway I wrote more on the subject way back on my blog check it out >>
Why I left iOS n Joined the Dark Side (Android) : TechXero's Blog

Nough said ;)

anon(26204)

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, from what you said earlier, I kinda agree, except you said it yourself. you would enjoy it more being jailbroken, same as saying you would enjoy a Droid rooted. To me, I enjoy the challenge of flashing ROMs every now and again, but not because I have to, just because I find it fun, and love all the new tweaks.

Still the Play Store leaves me stumped with how clunky, and all over the place it is. I hate it. I prefer App Store to Play Store, it is much more organized and apps are much higher quality. I do not hate iOS mind you, I still own an Phone 4, dead right now but will get board replaced when I get the $$. Can't see myself without an iDevice on the side.

The Nexus 4, however, being Vanilla Android, is amazing to say the least. I have owned an HTC One X a few months back, which made my Android experience HELL. HTC Sense is crap, so I tried flashing Vanilla Android, or to the Android guys here, AOSP/AOKP and CM10, still was not happy. Which leads me to concur with what you said, that I HAD to ROOT it and try ROMs to get a better experience. Not with Nexus 4 coz it comes on Vanilla, so there was no need to root or flash ROMs, I had 320 installed apps n tweaks, no slowness whatsoever. Am not trying to Advertise or sell the N4, just pointing out that it is not a general rule when you say it's laggy or slow, it is what the user makes it.

With iOS, I was Jailbroken on 6.1.2 before it died, had 1 theme on there, very few tweaks, but the phone itself became laggy, why ? Try installing Winterboard see the immediate drop in performance. Now if you are not a theme user, ok, but that's my point, the device acts the way you make it act with what you install, so you cannot blame devs. Phones were made to be used stock, and if you like iOS the way it is, not jailbroken, then fine, it will be smooth, same with Vanilla Android. Dunno what you guys are doing to make it lag, so far with 320 apps on my N4 am suffering of no such thing ... Yet.

Anyway, the Nexus 4 does it for me, it's still fast, smooth, and I am using a custom ROM not because I had to but because I enjoy flashing ROMs.

Anyway I wrote more on the subject way back on my blog check it out >>
Why I left iOS n Joined the Dark Side (Android) : TechXero's Blog

Nough said ;)

You made some good points which I do agree with.

About 2 weeks ago I had a s3 32GB version. I was stock non rooted, had about 120 apps on the phone and it lagged like crazy. I took it into the store to see if they could find out what the issue was. First thing the rep said was, "wow, you got a lot of apps on here. You shouldn't have this many." Are you serious, this is a 32gb smartphone supposed to be capable of handling this load. Keep in mind I had like 23GB remaining not including my 16GB SD Card. I factory reset the phone and still had the same issue.

The Nexus 4 was a little laggy but not to the extent of the S3. But it was there. Which brings me to this week. I had the DRHDMAXX and that was laggy I took it into the Verizon and the rep was like wow this is ridiculous. This is why I grabbed the ip5. Although I was close to giving the 8x a try too.

Keep in mind, I didn't root the S3 or Raze Maxx HD.

But that's great the N4 is running great for you. My experience was different as I'm sure everybody's experience will be. They're all great devices when they work how they should and when we need them to.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I agree, I've never owned an Android device but I've had several Blackberrys. I love the 4S because it just works great as is. No more spending nights trying to find and download the best leaked or official OS.

XsabaX

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
After seeing this thread, I had to register and just give my .02 as well haha

I too came from years of having Android on Verizon from the Droid Eris, Fascinate, Droid 2, Droid X2, Incredible 2, and Galaxy S3.. most of them being replacements.

Rooting and running roms is fun and all, but after a while it gets a little irritating and time consuming trying to find the perfect one that has the least amount of bugs.. So I finally decided to jump and sell my S3 and bought a white iPhone 5 32gb. Couple reasons for me was iMessaging and Facetime, considering all my friends have iphones, it's really convenient and pretty cool, also integrated emoji's make texting and social networks a little more intuitive. I also actually like iTunes and the fact that all my music and playlists are gonna get transferred exactly as is.. Let's not forget the fact that my S3 probably would not have seen an update past 4.2...... if it ever even gets that, but my iphone sure will get iOS 7

Some of the things I do miss from my S3.. Different keyboards, LED light, BACK BUTTON, plus a couple more that I can't think of right now lol.. ehhhh and the bigger screen has positives and negatives. But battery life on the iphone is way better, whether you have a custom rom or not, it's still not as good.

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
You clearly have not used a Nexus device with vanilla Android. Those things squash any iOS device on the hardware and software side. As for apps quality I do agree to the fullest extent.

Other than that vanilla Android is so good that it has almost eliminated the need to go looking for ROMs n such. Trust me I have been an iOS user since 2007 up until October of last year.

What I hated about iOS was fact that I was forced to Jailbreak in order to use it my way. Also due to a crappy connection to use iTunes rather than the cloud service.

Bottom line is that for me, Android is better and suites my needs better than any iOS device ever will xD

I'll disagree with you about Nexus devices in General. I have a Galaxy Nexus that I just want to slam against a wall about 5 times a day. My friends can't call me because they can't get through, and the LTE signal is unstable at times. The EVDO data is worth garbage too. I'm moving back to iOS this week as soon as I'm done with my Midterms, and I'll be happy to go back.

The one thing I will agree with you on is that Vanilla Android is much nicer than the skinned versions of Android, but not better than iOS. I still prefer iOS to Android any day of the week.

TechXero

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I'll disagree with you about Nexus devices in General. I have a Galaxy Nexus that I just want to slam against a wall about 5 times a day. My friends can't call me because they can't get through, and the LTE signal is unstable at times. The EVDO data is worth garbage too. I'm moving back to iOS this week as soon as I'm done with my Midterms, and I'll be happy to go back.

Well, I dunno, all I know is that my N4 is still as fast n fluid as the day I got it even with 220 apps installed ... Like I said, it is how you make it, maybe you flashed a ROM with bad radio or your carrier having android issues.

The Nexus 4 was a little laggy but not to the extent of the S3.

My experience with Nexus has been great thus far. No lag.

Let's not forget the fact that my S3 probably would not have seen an update past 4.2...... if it ever even gets that, but my iphone sure will get iOS 7

Best part of a Nexus Device with Vanilla Android, we get updates as soon as Google releases them ;)

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

I too came from years of having Android on Verizon from the Droid Eris, Fascinate, Droid 2, Droid X2, Incredible 2, and Galaxy S3.. most of them being replacements.

Rooting and running roms is fun and all, but after a while it gets a little irritating and time consuming trying to find the perfect one that has the least amount of bugs.. So I finally decided to jump and sell my S3 and bought a white iPhone 5 32gb. Couple reasons for me was iMessaging and Facetime, considering all my friends have iphones, it's really convenient and pretty cool, also integrated emoji's make texting and social networks a little more intuitive. I also actually like iTunes and the fact that all my music and playlists are gonna get transferred exactly as is.. Let's not forget the fact that my S3 probably would not have seen an update past 4.2...... if it ever even gets that, but my iphone sure will get iOS 7

Some of the things I do miss from my S3.. Different keyboards, LED light, BACK BUTTON, plus a couple more that I can't think of right now lol.. ehhhh and the bigger screen has positives and negatives. But battery life on the iphone is way better, whether you have a custom rom or not, it's still not as good.

This 100%
The 2013 high end android flagships still have a bit of lag on them. Android makers End of Life their phones after about just a year. After that, you better be good at unlocking bootloaders and flashing custom ROM's with sketchy stability. I don't buy an HDTV that doesn't work flawlessly as-is out of the box so I can "have the chance" to screw around with it. Same goes for any electronics. iPhone works better than Android without screwing around with it. As an electronic device should be.

Yes, I agree you can do more stuff currently on an android. But it's not worth the trade-offs. Car analogy time! The Korean car company Hyundai, much like Samsung and LG, are basically into making cheaper knock-offs of the more expensive premium Japanese automakers Honda and Toyota. Hyundai cars include more features for free as "standard" than Honda does, who will offer some of those as paid option packages. But When it comes to quality, performance, and workmanship Honda blows Hyndai away by a long shot.

Hyundai: Android
Honda: iPhone

/car analogy

:)

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, I dunno, all I know is that my N4 is still as fast n fluid as the day I got it even with 220 apps installed ... Like I said, it is how you make it, maybe you flashed a ROM with bad radio or your carrier having android issues.

Best part of a Nexus Device with Vanilla Android, we get updates as soon as Google releases them ;)

My GNex is stock. And for updates, if you are on Sprint or Verizon, then you have to wait. :(

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
This 100%
The 2013 high end android flagships still have a bit of lag on them. Android makers End of Life their phones after about just a year. After that, you better be good at unlocking bootloaders and flashing custom ROM's with sketchy stability. I don't buy an HDTV that doesn't work flawlessly as-is out of the box so I can "have the chance" to screw around with it. Same goes for any electronics. iPhone works better than Android without screwing around with it. As an electronic device should be.

Yes, I agree you can do more stuff currently on an android. But it's not worth the trade-offs. Car analogy time! The Korean car company Hyundai, much like Samsung and LG, are basically into making cheaper knock-offs of the more expensive premium Japanese automakers Honda and Toyota. Hyundai cars include more features for free as "standard" than Honda does, who will offer some of those as paid option packages. But When it comes to quality, performance, and workmanship Honda blows Hyndai away by a long shot.

Hyundai: Android
Honda: iPhone

/car analogy

:)

How could you compare an iPhone to a Honda? It's more like the BMW of phones, at least from my point of view.

dnalevelc

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I've owned an HTC Hero, Blackberry Curve, Palm Pre, Evo 4G, Sensation 4G, LG G2X, iPhone 4S, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note II, and now my iPhone 5. I can say without a doubt I am the happiest I've been with a phone. I don't have the urge to flash a new rom to it everyday. I don't have to set everything up constantly. I have the iPhone 5 running the way I want and it can stay that way. It is Jailbroken so that I can have a few things tweaked to the way I want/need them but that's about it. I run a Mac now at home and for as much as I hate iTunes, I have to say it works very well when it's not on windows. Unless Apple does something really stupid to mess it all up I think I will stay with an iPhone and I just might get an iPad.

**Edit** I ordered an iPad and it's waiting for me at home. Now I can officially add that to the list.

Last edited:

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

I do think android is awesome, the problem is, there needs to be MORE vanilla android and more standardization so that developers have an easier time making apps cross platform. There also needs to be more battery optimizations. Problem is every manufacturer uses skins that downgrade the experience. There's generally one new nexus phone a year and they are not always on all carriers. I hope one day that happens as vanilla android is awesome. I am really likening iOS right now as it fights what I want and need.

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

I totally agree, and the worst part about switching roms is the re-setting up everything, using several different apps to back up app data ect every time you switch and that doesn't even always work. It was more trouble than I wanted to deal with but my stock ics rom was so bad, if I didn't root, my phone was worse...