From Android to iPhone

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I am new here and recently got an iPhone 5. With this, I have now owned all operating systems on a cellphone including windows phone android and even webos. However, in a time where people seem to be leaving apple for android, I have moved to it. I actually owned a epic 4g touch and a HP touchpad with android on it. Now I have an iPad 4 and iPhone 5, so why the switch?

Don't get me wrong here, I do like android. I think between jelly bean and ice cream sandwich, google has really gotten a lot right. I despised android up until the release of ics because it just felt so bulky and in intuitive, however now that's not the case. The reason I switched was because, while android is awesome in its purist form, the platform is a mess. Getting updates is ridiculous and the skins that you are forced with can be annoying but since Samsung seems to make the most well balanced phone, you get stuck with touchwiz, which to me, is the worst skin of them all. Also, due to its different handling of background tasks and vast different manufacturers, not only is it harder to get updates, but there are less polished apps, and battery life is horrible and gets worse and worse. I had never owned an iPhone and had a couple ios devices in the past, but wasn't sure if the iPhone would make a daily driver. It wasn't until I decided to get an iPad I thought about getting an iPhone. Unlike android, ios devices have a better sync between each other. I liked this and was one reason I decided to check out the iPhone. I also was looking for a phone that just worked, not one I needed to root and put roms on to relieve stock issues that hadn't been fixed by Samsung yet. I also wanted my phone to last all day even if I used it once in a while.

When I jumped over, the battery was my first huge appreciation! Never on any platform would I have 30+ percent left at the end of the day before recharging... Even after being on vacation for 3 days with no wifi 4g on with jumping signals, and usage around 2-3 hours, I had no issues with needing to charge. As of now my phones been off charger 10 hours with 2 hours Osage with wifi all day and I have 80 percent. I just cannot be happier with battery life. I'm sure it could improve more, I do notice some things drain battery far quicker than others so if apple can improve usage time even further, that would be awesome!

Other than battery life there is definitely a sense of more high quality apps. Many android apps are pretty damn ugly when you get past the big commercial apps, I have also noticed even some commercial apps are slightly more functional. Like the Facebook app, which allows me to post photos in bulk to Facebook as well as tag them and add filters to them.

I also found the camera to be quite awesome. I wasn't sure what to expect with all the talk of purple lights, but after use and research, its really only caused when taking pictures with light just out of the lens. This is normal on any camera, although the purple effect is worse than others, probably due to the sapphire lens. It's completely avoidable and even visible before taking a shot so I have not had one picture with this purple haze. The camera stands up really well against my Nikon cool pix 9300. In some cases the pictures are actually sharper and in many cases there's no real noticeable differences, even in some low light situations, although I would definitely still use my Nikon in very low lighting. I really don't see much difference when using HDR though so not entirely sure if ill ever use it. On my old android phone, HDR cameras had more of a difference. Compared to my old phone, pictures are much sharper which I really like.

So far, I haven't noticed many major inconveniences of the switch. I don't like the email/contact situation, specifically with gmail, but there are work around.

Some things I'd like to change about ios would be the ability to have default apps, better integration of other apps, with each other, and a refreshed design. I noticed that the iTunes, App Store, and music app have had refreshes and would like to see that idea unified around. I am a designer so I notice very subtle things and the new look is nice. I don't believe in eliminating the themes that some apps have, but maybe modifying some of them from that ugly brown leather to a more sophisticated black or dark brown leather with thin minimal stitching. Overall ios is pretty great, needs some customization and an easier method to get ringtones that doesn't involve buying them or lots of different steps.

As far as android goes, it needs to drastically improve battery life and use more standardization in order to improve update frequency and app quality. I hope that with all android phones moving to 1080p resolutions, this may fix the problem. If android phones can stick to 3 resolutions, 1080p, 720p and one other resolution for small screens, it would make it much easier for debs to work with. Using similar specs would also help. As far as software goes, google needs to allow "skins" to be independent of the OS so that updates can be pushed by google and manufacturers can update their skins to work with the updates, or their skins will not be used until they update it. This would also allow users to turn on or off skins and features so they don't have to be forced to use skins they don't like.

I will continue to update this as I discover more. I am undecided on whether I will stick with ios for the long hall or if it will just be this phone cycle. I look forward to seeing what ios 7 and key lime pie have in store as well as iPhone 5s, galaxy s4 and the Motorola x phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That is way too much to read...:)...but welcome to iMore and I hope you enjoy your new iPhone 5 to the fullest. Take care and have a great weekend. :D

brooklyndon2911

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people take what iOS has to offer for granted it doesn't have all the bells and whisels that android has but the system just works and works flawlessly. Welcome and enjoy.

Eddster

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I came back to my beloved iPhone 5 after owning a Samsung Note 2. The Note 2 is a great phone and Samsung has upped the ante with their value adds in Touchwiz. But at the end of the day, I love that Apple does an outstanding jobs with the basics. I absolutely love iMessage and iCloud. My devices work seamlessly together and make everyday use a breeze. To me, that counts far more than having a bunch of "nifty" (and some gimmicky) features that I don't use. I'm sticking with Apple. Even if some consider iOS to be stale, it suits my needs just fine.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Hello, I am new here and recently got an iPhone 5. With this, I have now owned all operating systems on a cellphone including windows phone android and even webos. However, in a time where people seem to be leaving apple for android, I have moved to it. I actually owned a epic 4g touch and a HP touchpad with android on it. Now I have an iPad 4 and iPhone 5, so why the switch?

Don't get me wrong here, I do like android. I think between jelly bean and ice cream sandwich, google has really gotten a lot right. I despised android up until the release of ics because it just felt so bulky and in intuitive, however now that's not the case. The reason I switched was because, while android is awesome in its purist form, the platform is a mess. Getting updates is ridiculous and the skins that you are forced with can be annoying but since Samsung seems to make the most well balanced phone, you get stuck with touchwiz, which to me, is the worst skin of them all. Also, due to its different handling of background tasks and vast different manufacturers, not only is it harder to get updates, but there are less polished apps, and battery life is horrible and gets worse and worse. I had never owned an iPhone and had a couple ios devices in the past, but wasn't sure if the iPhone would make a daily driver. It wasn't until I decided to get an iPad I thought about getting an iPhone. Unlike android, ios devices have a better sync between each other. I liked this and was one reason I decided to check out the iPhone. I also was looking for a phone that just worked, not one I needed to root and put roms on to relieve stock issues that hadn't been fixed by Samsung yet. I also wanted my phone to last all day even if I used it once in a while.

When I jumped over, the battery was my first huge appreciation! Never on any platform would I have 30+ percent left at the end of the day before recharging... Even after being on vacation for 3 days with no wifi 4g on with jumping signals, and usage around 2-3 hours, I had no issues with needing to charge. As of now my phones been off charger 10 hours with 2 hours Osage with wifi all day and I have 80 percent. I just cannot be happier with battery life. I'm sure it could improve more, I do notice some things drain battery far quicker than others so if apple can improve usage time even further, that would be awesome!

Other than battery life there is definitely a sense of more high quality apps. Many android apps are pretty damn ugly when you get past the big commercial apps, I have also noticed even some commercial apps are slightly more functional. Like the Facebook app, which allows me to post photos in bulk to Facebook as well as tag them and add filters to them.

I also found the camera to be quite awesome. I wasn't sure what to expect with all the talk of purple lights, but after use and research, its really only caused when taking pictures with light just out of the lens. This is normal on any camera, although the purple effect is worse than others, probably due to the sapphire lens. It's completely avoidable and even visible before taking a shot so I have not had one picture with this purple haze. The camera stands up really well against my Nikon cool pix 9300. In some cases the pictures are actually sharper and in many cases there's no real noticeable differences, even in some low light situations, although I would definitely still use my Nikon in very low lighting. I really don't see much difference when using HDR though so not entirely sure if ill ever use it. On my old android phone, HDR cameras had more of a difference. Compared to my old phone, pictures are much sharper which I really like.

So far, I haven't noticed many major inconveniences of the switch. I don't like the email/contact situation, specifically with gmail, but there are work around.

Some things I'd like to change about ios would be the ability to have default apps, better integration of other apps, with each other, and a refreshed design. I noticed that the iTunes, App Store, and music app have had refreshes and would like to see that idea unified around. I am a designer so I notice very subtle things and the new look is nice. I don't believe in eliminating the themes that some apps have, but maybe modifying some of them from that ugly brown leather to a more sophisticated black or dark brown leather with thin minimal stitching. Overall ios is pretty great, needs some customization and an easier method to get ringtones that doesn't involve buying them or lots of different steps.

As far as android goes, it needs to drastically improve battery life and use more standardization in order to improve update frequency and app quality. I hope that with all android phones moving to 1080p resolutions, this may fix the problem. If android phones can stick to 3 resolutions, 1080p, 720p and one other resolution for small screens, it would make it much easier for debs to work with. Using similar specs would also help. As far as software goes, google needs to allow "skins" to be independent of the OS so that updates can be pushed by google and manufacturers can update their skins to work with the updates, or their skins will not be used until they update it. This would also allow users to turn on or off skins and features so they don't have to be forced to use skins they don't like.

I will continue to update this as I discover more. I am undecided on whether I will stick with ios for the long hall or if it will just be this phone cycle. I look forward to seeing what ios 7 and key lime pie have in store as well as iPhone 5s, galaxy s4 and the Motorola x phone.

HDR is to be used when there are both bright and dark areas in a photo. It scales down the brightness at the bright part and scales up the brightness at the darkest. You won't see a difference unless you take a photo like this one:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362856197.719497.jpg
HDR off

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362856224.085878.jpg
HDR on

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I came back to my beloved iPhone 5 after owning a Samsung Note 2. The Note 2 is a great phone and Samsung has upped the ante with their value adds in Touchwiz. But at the end of the day, I love that Apple does an outstanding jobs with the basics. I absolutely love iMessage and iCloud. My devices work seamlessly together and make everyday use a breeze. To me, that counts far more than having a bunch of "nifty" (and some gimmicky) features that I don't use. I'm sticking with Apple. Even if some consider iOS to be stale, it suits my needs just fine.

Actually I have a question. I have not really found the value of iMessage yet. What makes it different/better than say Skype or Facebook messengers? (This isn't an arguitive question, I seriously would like to know the value)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually I have a question. I have not really found the value of iMessage yet. What makes it different/better than say Skype or Facebook messengers? (This isn't an arguitive question, I seriously would like to know the value)
I don't see it as being 'better'. It's just a Apple-specific communications app that I can use on any of my Apple products running iOS 5 or later and OS X Mountain Lion. With texting packages being the norm, the fact that you are not necessarily charged for iMessages isn't such a big deal to some people.

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
HDR is to be used when there are both bright and dark areas in a photo. It scales down the brightness at the bright part and scales up the brightness at the darkest. You won't see a difference unless you take a photo like this one:

View attachment 28135
HDR off

View attachment 28136
HDR on

Thanks! HDR is so heavily advertised and done differently on many devices yet the usage of it was always questionable. Thanks for clearing that up. I now see a couple photos I could have used that on!

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Yeah it stands for High Dynamic Range and does pretty much what it's name says. I use it quite a bit but it takes two pictures so you have to be still.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Also should I leave HDR on, or just when these types of pictures come up?

HDR takes 3 pictures, and melds them into one - one exposure to cover bright areas - one for dark areas, and one "normal" exposure... you can elect to save a "normal" version of a picture & the HDR.. when HDR is on, it only saves the HDR version unless you elect to save the "normal" version as well... keeping HDR on & saving the normal gives you the best of both worlds... you can later keep the version(s) you like.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
The camera stands up really well against my Nikon cool pix 9300. In some cases the pictures are actually sharper and in many cases there's no real noticeable differences, even in some low light situations, although I would definitely still use my Nikon in very low lighting.

That Nikon is a better camera than any smartphone. The way to judge a camera... look at the size of the lens. Thats the amount of light that is being brought it. the iphone 5 camera is good, real good for a smartphone camera. But not as good as a proper camera.

Either way, welcome to imore!

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
That Nikon is a better camera than any smartphone. The way to judge a camera... look at the size of the lens. Thats the amount of light that is being brought it. the iphone 5 camera is good, real good for a smartphone camera. But not as good as a proper camera.

Either way, welcome to imore!

Oh I agree! I just am very happy to see a smartphone camera take comparable pictures in most cases. We still aren't in a time where a Nikon can be replaced by a smartphone, but if I don't have it on me, I can still get some great pictures

With iPhone

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1362880057.894441.jpg

This is the Nikon.

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1362880162.741320.jpg

Same environment and lighting and while the Nikon is better, the iPhone does a great job and isn't a huge difference, still a difference but impressive. Daylight and other pictures with more light show even less difference. I hope one day smartphones replace point and shoot cameras (not dslr cameras as that will never happen) but just point and shoot cameras.

Note these are both on reduced resolutions.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I went from a Motorola DROID X to a Iphone 4 and then switched to the Samsung Galaxy S3 and then to the Iphone 5. I had the S3 for about 4 months before the constant need to tweek the phone and preserve the battery got old and not to mention the constant instability of the Android operating system.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2