Tweaks to get wifi to auto-connect when in range?

Dixon Cox

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that only few wireless networks have an option to reconnect automatically (without asking). My work network doesn't even have an option for auto-reconnect. I downloaded a tweak called "Insomnia" that keeps internet-connected programs connected and running in the background, but I wonder if there is a tweak to get the phone to simply auto-connect to approved wireless networks when in range.

Any suggestions?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone does this all by itself - stock. No tweaking needed.

If you have to log on each time you connect, that's the wifi hotspot owner's security measures... not the fault of the phone.

Dixon Cox

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
No, it does not!!! At least not the iPhone 5. It has this option for some networks, not for most. A local supermarket requires login, so that opens automatically, because the settings allow to auto-connect to that particular network. As I mentioned in the OP, my work network (which doesn't require login) doesn't even show the option of auto-connecting. If I go to settings->wifi->tap on network, then it connects, but wouldn't do it automatically.

Hence the original question.

The iPhone does this all by itself - stock. No tweaking needed.

If you have to log on each time you connect, that's the wifi hotspot owner's security measures... not the fault of the phone.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
No, it does not!!! At least not the iPhone 5. It has this option for some networks, not for most. A local supermarket requires login, so that opens automatically, because the settings allow to auto-connect to that particular network. As I mentioned in the OP, my work network (which doesn't require login) doesn't even show the option of auto-connecting. If I go to settings->wifi->tap on network, then it connects, but wouldn't do it automatically.

Actually it does. The out-of-the-box default option for the phone is that it will remember the settings and automatically reconnect to a wifi hotspot that you have properly connected to at least once before once you are in range of said hotspot.

This isn't an opinion, this is just what the phone does. If your phone doesn't do this then that issue is peculiar to either your device or the wifi hotspot, not all iPhones, which follow the protocol above.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Kch50428 did indeed give you the correct answer. Do this with your iPhone 5: Go to Settings - Wi-Fi and then scroll to the bottom of the screen. There is an option to "Ask to Join Networks". If it is OFF, your will NOT be prompted to join a network unless it is a 'NEW' network as in one you've never connected to before. The wording underneath the option is crystal clear. Exceptions will be as Keith stated above when he mentioned Wi-Fi Hotspot owners' security measures.

Dixon Cox

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Kch50428 did indeed give you the correct answer. Do this with your iPhone 5: Go to Settings - Wi-Fi and then scroll to the bottom of the screen. There is an option to "Ask to Join Networks". If it is OFF, your will NOT be prompted to join a network unless it is a 'NEW' network as in one you've never connected to before. The wording underneath the option is crystal clear. Exceptions will be as Keith stated above when he mentioned Wi-Fi Hotspot owners' security measures.

I really hate to repeat myself, but the reason for my question is that this doesn't work. My "Ask to Join Networks" is set to OFF. My home wifi connects automatically because I set auto-join to ON for that particular network. Still, some networks, e.g. my work, don't have the option to auto-join. This has nothing to do with my phone, it can only be a network setting.

Again, as stated in the OP, I'm trying to find out if there is a tweak to enable auto-join on all networks.

Dixon Cox

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Attaching screencap of settings for that particular network. As you can see, no auto-join option there.

Attachments

• iphone_networkscreen.jpg
    iphone_networkscreen.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 27

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I really hate to repeat myself, but the reason for my question is that this doesn't work. My "Ask to Join Networks" is set to OFF. My home wifi connects automatically because I set auto-join to ON for that particular network. Still, some networks, e.g. my work, don't have the option to auto-join. This has nothing to do with my phone, it can only be a network setting.

Again, as stated in the OP, I'm trying to find out if there is a tweak to enable auto-join on all networks.

Right, on the off chance that were all at crossed wires here, let me try something else.

At the very top of the settings screen for an individual network, there should be a button that says "Forget This Network." If this does not appear then the wifi hasn't remembered the password for that network, even if you are currently connected to it, meaning you will need to tap in the password again when you leave and return to the wifi area. I had this issue myself on my iPhone 5 and the way I resolved it was to make sure the network was forgotten, then manually type in the name of the network into the 'Other' box exactly as it appears on the screen, including caps etc. Choose the correct encryption, tap in the passcode and try that. You might find that the "Forget this network" button now appears and the phone has remembered the network for future use. If this is your issue, this has been reported before, including by me.

By the way, Cleverpin is a great tweak that means that whilst you are in range of a trusted wifi network (as input by you into the app), your lockscreen passcode will be disabled allowing you to just open your phone without having to type in your code. It doesn't do what you want above.

Dixon Cox

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Highrisedrifter,
I tried what you suggested with no luck. One thing I noticed doing that is that the network is marked as an enterprise network, as opposed to my home network and other that are just plain WPA2. At this point I suspect that crApple may have disabled the auto-join for these.

By the way, Cleverpin is a great tweak that means that whilst you are in range of a trusted wifi network (as input by you into the app), your lockscreen passcode will be disabled allowing you to just open your phone without having to type in your code. It doesn't do what you want above.
Thanks for the heads up. I looked it up and wasn't sure about it from the description. Good to know.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
At this point I suspect that crApple may have disabled the auto-join for these.

That's not an Apple problem. It is a security requirement of the wifi node. Auto-join CAN BE and often is DISABLED by the owner of the wifi node and network.

Dixon Cox

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
That's not an Apple problem. It is a security requirement of the wifi node. Auto-join CAN BE and often is DISABLED by the owner of the wifi node and network.

A laughable excuse. My laptop auto-connects, a.k.a. "auto-joins" just fine. No reason for the iPhone to not give me the option to do the same.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
At this point I suspect that crApple may have disabled the auto-join for these..

A laughable excuse. My laptop auto-connects, a.k.a. "auto-joins" just fine. No reason for the iPhone to not give me the option to do the same.

Sorry Dixon, he's right. Apple don't do this at all as default option to user phones. However, If your phone is a work phone locked by a SysAdmin using the Enterprise tools, then this could happen. If it isn't, it's the decision of the wifi network admin themselves.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There are plenty of reasons which, if explained to you would continue to fall on deaf ears.

"Your" laptop likely has additional enterprise security measures in place, installed to meet the enterprise's IT security requirements... the laptop is owned by your employer right? Is your phone a company owned phone? If yes, the phone can be managed by company IT security policy as noted above. If no - the network is managed by IT security policies that prohibit auto-joining.

Dixon Cox

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
There are plenty of reasons which, if explained to you would continue to fall on deaf ears.

"Your" laptop likely has additional enterprise security measures in place, installed to meet the enterprise's IT security requirements... the laptop is owned by your employer right? Is your phone a company owned phone? If yes, the phone can be managed by company IT security policy as noted above. If no - the network is managed by IT security policies that prohibit auto-joining.
No. My personal laptop running Windows 7 Pro.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
...operating under security measures imposed by Enterprise IT security policy controlled by your employer.
Absolutely the same situation in my case. My personal iPad connects automatically and does operate under additional security measures, a complex password requirement being one of them.

My iPhone however is not setup to connect to work and needs to log in to wifi every time. In fact iirc, it also times out after a period of inactivity.

I would think this is pretty normal for Enterprise customers. 😊

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk

Dixon Cox

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
...operating under security measures imposed by Enterprise IT security policy controlled by your employer.

No. Just plain connected to network, entered my UID/PW when prompted, and that's it. With the iPhone (my personal phone, not one from work), I had to enter UID/PW once--I don't have to reenter it, but I do have to manually tap on it to connect every time.

As stated in my OP, I'd like to find a tweak that would make it unnecessary for me to go to Settings->wifi and tap on my work network any time I'm in range--fairly simple and straight-forward question, IMHO.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh