The point I'm trying to make is why cater to the "core users"? Also, I don't thinks it's a fraction of customers requesting a bigger screen. Staying competitive doesn't mean keeping up the same stategy that made you number one but adjusting your strategy to STAY competitive. It's so easy to tell someone "if you don't like it- go to Android". It's a person right to have a wishlist for any platform they would prefer. And it's comical to see how easily feathers get ruffled when someone says they would like bigger screen or other features a competitor may have.
    My feathers arnt ruffled, I have the screen that I'm ok with...if it had stayed the same size as it was before i would have been just fine as well. They cater to the consumer base that makes up the majority of their sales, if they are happy, Apple is happy. This is business 101 bud, not rocket science. As far as the % of people who want a larger screen, it's probably quite large, but I'd put money on the fact that it pales in comparison to the consumer base 100% happy with the current size (and even the previous size to be honest). They are more than competitive, they are front running...each and every time their devices are released they break sales records, retain customer satisfaction ratings higher than any other device and company...the other companies are having to do things to remain competitive, Apple is simply sticking to what works and polishing it to a fine shine.

As far as your comment about people's right to have a wish list...of course it is! There are things I'd like to see added to the iPhone that are not there right now, but to be honest, I'm nearly perfectly content with this device and would not trade off it's performance and reliability for the addition of any of the things on my "wish list".
    03-07-2013 02:23 PM
    I've owned the IP5 for just a few weeks now. It's my first "smart" phone and I chose it because of it's great sale price and also for it's purported ease of use. I'd been very reluctant to buy an iphone in the past because of it's smallish screen and also because I didn't want to be saddled with a data plan. Increasingly however, internet access on the go is no longer a luxury but a necessity. And the great sale price at walton mart pushed me, finally, to buy. 4"? Not so great, but it was a noticeable, if not dramatic, improvement over a 3.5" screen.

Right out of the box, I was dazzled at first by the IP5's capabilities and ease of use. I'll ignore the deplorable arrogance and it's impact on "customer service" at apple retail stores for now, but my no. 1 concern otherwise with the iphone is screen size. It's simply too small to function as a web browser. Obviously, it CAN be used as a browser, but not optimally so. Reading any page typically involves flipping the phone and lots and lots of swiping, both vertically and horizontally and a good deal of pinching (outwards) as well. Minor inconveniences to be sure considering the fact that I didn't have web access at all previously with my phone, but still a minor inconvenience nonetheless.

The screen is also too small to enjoy gaming to it's fullest. There is a TON of information there with that retina display but it's hard to appreciate when the details are nearly microscopic.

---

Of course I know quite a few people with the note 2 and s3, and those big, bright screens will cause any IP5 user to "take note" (pun intended) and likely give pause as well.

Viewing the note 2 and IP5 screens side by side is extremely sobering. Esp. if you've just committed to a 2 year contract with the IP5, and find yourself just outside the return period. :/

The note 2 screen is very sharp, the blacks are fantastic, and color saturation is top notch. It is a gorgeous screen. And the pre-release specs for the note 3 and s4 look absolutely amazing. 13 megapixel cameras and a 6" screen, full 1080p HD, and that's just for starters.

Meanwhile the 5s is due to add a slightly improved camera. There is simply no conceivable way that apple will NOT lose market share to samsung/android this summer.

I am pleased that I own a very nice phone with full internet access. But this is a holdover phone until I get a look-see at the note 3 due for release this summer/early fall. I think that will indeed be the phone I will truly be proud of owning. It will be the first "smart" phone that is not hobbled in any way with any significant compromises.

IP5, you brought us this far, but the S4 and Note 3 are about to leapfrog the 5/S by a gangnam mile....

edit: I know this is a long debate, but one issue which has already started to annoy me is that the phone feels hamstrung by itunes. There is no way to drag and drop and copy individual files. Itunes syncs everything or wipes your phone clean. There's no in between.

I don't know why iphone users aren't up in arms about the lack of flexibility with the itunes approach. It is terribly outdated, and no sane person believes this is the best way of syncing devices.
    Sounds like Android is for you then. I've got an iPhone 5 and Nexus 4. Personally, I prefer the small size of the iPhone. Just because the screen is bigger doesn't mean it's always showing more information.

I'm not up in arms about iTunes because there are no files for me to be dragging and dropping to my iPhone all the time. What files do you need to move with drag and drop?
    03-07-2013 03:18 PM
    Could be. Samsung has many more features than the 5. But the main difference between the 2 in my opinion is whether you want to:

1. Constantly mess with the phone
    2. Deal with the Operating System constantly crashing
    3. Always have to charge the phone.
    4. Others

I have chosen the 5 after owning the S3 and Iphone 4 because I was tired of dealing with the constant battery drain, modifying the phone daily, turning off background updates and an unstable operating system. I just want a phone that works when I want it work and does not require constant attention and the 5 and Iphone 4 never disappointed.
    03-07-2013 03:30 PM
    Again the screen size debate...

Steve Jobs once said - A lot of times, people dont know what they want until you show it to them.

I also think you're exaggerating the claim that most people want phones that are only usable by people with ogre sized hands because the iPhone 5 sold nearly as many units in 3 months as the S3 did in 9 months. A strong argument can be made that consumers actually prefer a more manageable sized phone.

Anyway, now that Samsung has reached the prime time with the success of the S3 they will soon hit the point of diminishing returns.

Samsung's phones also keep getting larger and larger with each release... At some point a line will have to be drawn. To me it seems they just do it for the sake of it. If the rumoured specs are true the S4 will have a screen size the same as the original Note and it wasn't that successful.
    03-07-2013 03:42 PM
    We all don't know what the 5s will bring but one thing is certain it will sell
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-07-2013 05:02 PM
    I have the note 2 and I'm not intesrested in the s4. But I AM interested to see what the iphone 5s will be like. I think it has better applications and games besides android.
    03-07-2013 05:23 PM
    Reading many of the comments above about people "wanting" a bigger screen, I just want to say that I am one of those smartphone users who is not a fan of huge screens. I remember when the S3 came out I loved everything I read about the phone all the specs and functionality but all of that didn't matter when I actually saw the phone size, I held it and immediately knew I was not gonna get it, it's too big for my taste, that FOR ME took the S3 out of competition. So I waited for the ip5 and the size is one of the things I love about it. So do not generalize.

Also that's the good thing about technology this days, you have A LOT to choose from, and for everyone's taste. And you can also try them out and be sure before buying them
    CDG, MrszBerry and Alli like this.
    03-07-2013 05:44 PM
    Specs or not, I do not want a phone or a screen any bigger than the current iPhone 5. I already think that is too big.
    03-07-2013 07:41 PM
    iPhone 5 for me period. Truly the Note and GSs are beautiful devices. But I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on the 5S. Just simply like that iOS is more stable and IMO just more polished OS. iPhone screen size at that right spot for me right now.
    03-07-2013 11:02 PM
    Specs or not, I do not want a phone or a screen any bigger than the current iPhone 5. I already think that is too big.
    I agree. Going back a few mths ago I was craving a bigger screen....perhaps 4.5" MAYBE a 5" at best but I did not want to sacrifice using iOS, which is my platform of choice ATM. Plus I've been having issues with my vision contributing to another one of my reasons for a larger screen. I'm glad I took the time to think my decision through and not jump to an android device because my 4S has exceeded my expectations as far as my needs. Am I still interested in what will be coming up(gs4)? Sure, just to see what features are there. Will I change platforms? 99% sure that I won't. Plus I've adjusted to needing a pair of reading glasses on occasion (+1.25) to help me along, and I've been doing fine with the screen on my 4S, so with the larger 4" screen on the next iPhone (5S?) I know I'll handle it just fine
    03-08-2013 07:10 AM
    The note 2 is an impressive phone and the GS4 will surely not disappoint. The 5s i'm sure will be a great phone as well after the bad press apple got from the iPhone 5 even though most users do enjoy owning the 5.
    03-08-2013 05:26 PM
    I don't think that any device in the near future will totally eclipse the iPhone. The size of the current iPhone is good. I'm starting to really appreciate the size. I used to have the Note 2. I don't think that it is too small for web browsing, gaming, or videos. I seem to get along just fine. I like that I can use the phone easily with one hand. All in all, it's a great phone.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    03-08-2013 06:27 PM
    Thankfully, there are enough smartphones, phablets, 3G, 4G & LTE tablets & iPads to suit almost every need and financial status. The hard part is getting people to differentiate between what's best and what's best for them. Since October 2011, the iPhone has been the best device for 'me'. Why? Because I haven't had the desire to purchase any other smartphone made by any other manufacturer. I've seen the Note. It is awesome. I've also found the other Android devices to be awesome, too. Still, they did not and do not move me to buy them. To be honest, it took all I had earlier to not buy the iPhone 5. .... Pink, I was one more glance away from walking out the store with it...(laughing)
    ThePinkChameleon and john_v like this.
    03-08-2013 06:55 PM
    If they make the iPhone larger, I'll never get another one.

If you want a tablet, get one. If you want a phone, get a phone sized phone.

Don't be the douchenozzle holding a tablet to your ear thinking the people looking at you are doing so with envy.
    03-08-2013 07:24 PM
    Thankfully, there are enough smartphones, phablets, 3G, 4G & LTE tablets & iPads to suit almost every need and financial status. The hard part is getting people to differentiate between what's best and what's best for them. Since October 2011, the iPhone has been the best device for 'me'. Why? Because I haven't had the desire to purchase any other smartphone made by any other manufacturer. I've seen the Note. It is awesome. I've also found the other Android devices to be awesome, too. Still, they did not and do not move me to buy them.
    very well put D also just to add, the point you made about getting people to differentiate between what best or best for them, if a lot more people took the time to look at this point of view I honestly think there would also be ALOT less bashing of platforms too.
    To be honest, it took all I had earlier to not buy the iPhone 5. .... Pink, I was one more glance away from walking out the store with it...(laughing)
    lmao !! Oh D, I tell ya' I'm right there with ya. I also really want the 5 badly too, but with the next iPhone coming out just about around the corner, I'm trying my best to keep my patience too I feel your pain LOL
    03-08-2013 07:28 PM
    If they make the iPhone larger, I'll never get another one.

If you want a tablet, get one. If you want a phone, get a phone sized phone.

Don't be the douchenozzle holding a tablet to your ear thinking the people looking at you are doing so with envy.
    I am one of those people who buys what he wants & usually when he wants it regardless of what others think about me or the item I purchase and I'm sure there are others like me. If Apple made an iPhone the size of the Note and I found it to be to my liking, I'd buy it. Why? Because it's my choice and my money that I'm buying it with. If you opt to NOT get one, more power to you, my friend, but I will not try to tell you that you should. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't try to tell you what to do with your money. Finally, I would never call you an unflattering name for enjoying something you purchased with your hard earned money. Having said that, please be mindful & respectful of the other people who are posting & reading throughout this thread and forum. Thank you.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 03-08-2013 at 07:54 PM.
    kch50428 and ThePinkChameleon like this.
    03-08-2013 07:34 PM
    very well put D also just to add, the point you made about getting people to differentiate between what best or best for them, if a lot more people took the time to look at this point of view I honestly think there would also be ALOT less bashing of platforms too.
    Thank you, my friend, and you're probably right.

lmao !! Oh D, I tell ya' I'm right there with ya. I also really want the 5 badly too, but with the next iPhone coming out just about around the corner, I'm trying my best to keep my patience too I feel your pain LOL
    Girl, I'm afraid that if I go inside another Verizon Store, I'll cave and walk out with the 5. I'm for real, my friend. I was having withdrawals when I got home...(laughing)
    03-08-2013 07:38 PM
    [/COLOR]Thank you, my friend, and you're probably right.

[COLOR=#ff0099] Girl, I'm afraid that if I go inside another Verizon Store, I'll cave and walk out with the 5. I'm for real, my friend. I was having withdrawals when I got home...(laughing)
    HaHaHa !! I understand- a few of my in laws upgraded to the 5 between Christmas & now....and I tell you, every time we all get together I wanna snag their device & not give it back LOL
    03-08-2013 08:05 PM
    Could be. Samsung has many more features than the 5. But the main difference between the 2 in my opinion is whether you want to:

1. Constantly mess with the phone
    2. Deal with the Operating System constantly crashing
    3. Always have to charge the phone.
    4. Others

I have chosen the 5 after owning the S3 and Iphone 4 because I was tired of dealing with the constant battery drain, modifying the phone daily, turning off background updates and an unstable operating system. I just want a phone that works when I want it work and does not require constant attention and the 5 and Iphone 4 never disappointed.
    Not sure where you get off claiming Android OS constant crashes when I have owned plenty of Android, iOS and WIndowsPhone devices and NONE of them have crashed on me ever. no lockups, no failures. I have in fact had more issues with my prior MacBook Pro than I have with any Windows machine at work. Blue screen of death vs Apple's Grey Screen of Death, the one in several languages telling you to reboot, or the beach ball spinning endlessly. Yeah I have had those. I have been a proud Mac user for over a decade, and I can and will use any OS and hardware to get the job done.

Lets run down your comments as well.
    #1 Constantly mess with your phone. I have a GS3 its stock 4.1.2 and it runs without issue and I don't have to mess with it. I can however root it, and get lots and lots of custom features if I choose.
    #2 Deal with an OS that crashes, well as I noted above mine has never crashed and with 2GB of RAM I never find myself having to turn apps off to get the job done.
    #3 Always have to charge my GS3. Well I have owned an iP4, iP4S and iP5 and I can say the battery life has gotten progressively worse with each generation and with the lack of removeable battery I have to keep a cable on me for charging at work or in the car.
    #4 Others????? Not sure what this is but I think you meant Etc., etc., etc.

Now I can say all that I have and still be happy with the phone I have. Due to the nature of my work and the apps that Cisco offers on iOS I have chosen to get a new iPad and iP5 not because Android is lacking, but because the tools I need to accomplish my work are more readily available on iOS and that is what I need for now. I still have to contend with poor battery life so I will likely get a Mophie Juice Pack which I don't care for given the bulk and unattractive nature of them. But extra battery life is critical to my daily needs.
    03-08-2013 10:49 PM
    From what I can tell if Apple rolled out a 4.5-5" iPhone people would buy it and and buy it in droves it would break all sales records just like the last phone, blah, blah, blah. People are buying the brand not the device itself so I don't feel the screen size or lack there of is the real issue. Apple should drop the BS they spew out everyday about how they research the screen size to find the right one. Its BS, Jobs claimed 7" tablets were DOA. Then they saw how much money they weren't getting so they came up with one. Then iOS fanboy/girls claimed that Apple invented something new and magical and simply changed their minds. Yes they did, they snapped their necks back and saw the cash they were losing. Now they are seeing how much less iPad margin they are making with the iPad mini cannibalizing the iPad full size's sales.

I don't care if they changed their minds, came up with some odd size or whatever they want to claim. What I expect is a shred of honesty and not acting like consumers are *****'s which we are certainly not. I am buying the hardware I want, need and have chosen to get, I won't worry if the iPad 5 comes out in a month or 6 months. I need a specific resource now and in 2 years I will swap it out then.
    03-08-2013 10:59 PM
    A bigger iphone is inevitable. But I'm sure Apple had it mapped out when they decided to change aspect ratio and run with the iphone 5 slightly modified for a couple of years. I'd be surprised if the iphone 6 or a different branded iphone isn't closer to 5" next year at double the current resolution.

It still comes down to picking the OS first (well, carrier really but who cares these days). I'm firmly in the iOS ecosystem. Android does some things well though and I'd definitely look at a Nexus if I had any plans to leave iOS. The Samsung phones though? Umm..no. One would thing the reasons were obvious given all the bloatware on those. Have to credit Samsung's marketing.
    03-08-2013 11:15 PM
    From what I can tell if Apple rolled out a 4.5-5" iPhone people would buy it and and buy it in droves it would break all sales records just like the last phone, blah, blah, blah. People are buying the brand not the device itself so I don't feel the screen size or lack there of is the real issue. Apple should drop the BS they spew out everyday about how they research the screen size to find the right one. Its BS, Jobs claimed 7" tablets were DOA. Then they saw how much money they weren't getting so they came up with one. Then iOS fanboy/girls claimed that Apple invented something new and magical and simply changed their minds. Yes they did, they snapped their necks back and saw the cash they were losing. Now they are seeing how much less iPad margin they are making with the iPad mini cannibalizing the iPad full size's sales.

I don't care if they changed their minds, came up with some odd size or whatever they want to claim. What I expect is a shred of honesty and not acting like consumers are *****'s which we are certainly not. I am buying the hardware I want, need and have chosen to get, I won't worry if the iPad 5 comes out in a month or 6 months. I need a specific resource now and in 2 years I will swap it out then.
    You can call BS all you want, Apple increased the size of the iPhone in a non-conforming and unorthodox way, and did it just enough to be noticeable, but not enough to really effect the experience of the phone. That is Apple's way, it WAS innovative, they were able to increase usable area on the phone without diverting away from what made the iPhone's size preferable in the first place.

And the iPad Mini isn't cannibalizing the regular iPad's sales because of the size...it's doing it because it's new and has some better features.

You WANT it to be some kind of conspiracy...why? Does it make a difference whether Apple says they are researching screen sizes for optimal usage specs or straight up telling people they were buying into the "larger screen" hype? I personally don't think it was conforming, but i could be wrong...just as you could be...who cares? It happened.
    03-09-2013 12:20 AM
    Note is way too big for me for a phone and way too small for a tablet. The iPad mini is better for me than the Note. Bigger screen and real tablet apps, and it fits in a jacket pocket.

You can throw features and specs at anything. It's what PC makers have been doing for years.

For me, the ability for a Manufacturer to say no, is far more important than the ability for them to say yes. I want coparent device, focused strategy, and a lot of polish.

I'm happy these other devices exist. I'm happy companies are experimenting. I just don't have the energy to be the subject of their experimentations anymore.

Apple is fairly conservative. But what they do often is very polished. That's what I've learned to value now.
    03-09-2013 12:50 AM
    From Gizmodo's first hands on with the G4:

I had the HTC One with me during my hands on time, and the difference is like night and day. For starters, the One is noticeably faster in every context. When flicking between screens, opening apps, and taking photos there was clear lag on the Galaxy S IV, whereas everything was almost instantaneous on the One. To be fair, this wasn't the final production version of the S IV, and who knows which processor was in the model I had. There's a chance it'll be faster at launch.
    03-14-2013 08:25 PM
    In related news, karenkcoulter rips the dodge viper for it's poor gas mileage.

From Gizmodo's first hands on with the G4:
    03-14-2013 10:31 PM
103 1234 ...