Finally got my iphone 5

daneg

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
So last night I finally got my iphone 5, with apple care. It will be my last upgrade for awhile. I only wanted the 5 for LTE, so I hope to keep it for around 3 or 4 years.

First using it, kind of had me irritated, it wouldn't let me use my icloud backup because the backup was 6.1.2 and was newer than what was on the phone. So I had to set it up as new. Update it, erase, then start over to use my backup. After that it was ok.

The other issue, which isn't anything apple did, my gmail doesn't push to my default inbox. I tried every trick posted online and nothing. So someone said I have to get the actual gmail application which sucks because I don't want it, I want the actual mail app, but I also want push.

Everything else is pretty good! Minus the fact of I bought an SGP ultra crystal. Put the first one on perfectly. Peeled off "FRONT" and took my time doing it, thinking "the display protector doesn't look like it's on...." Sure enough it was stuck to "front". So I used the second and did a less then perfect job. Never had that problem before with any of the ultra crystals I bought (Droid, Iphone 4).

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, congratulations on the purchase of your new iPhone 5 and hopefully, you will get used to it and enjoy it like millions of others enjoy theirs. In regard to gmail, after the January 31st deadline, if you change devices, your gmail exchange will no longer work and you will either have to use Google's Gmail app or open a business account with them. As for the display protector, it's arguably hit or miss.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have to ask, why did you choose to get the iP5 now instead of waiting for the iP5S? I have an upgrade coming in a month and I am always one to want the latest but would rather get a new iPhone and stick with it for at least 2 years (but I say that every year). So I am asking an honest question since its the age old question, buy now or wait and I know everyone says if you always wait you will always be waiting. Just wondering.

precon22

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
uvu8u6uq.jpg

jupe9y3u.jpg

9ejytuha.jpg

zy4uruba.jpg

pamuzuna.jpg

Well I'm back too. I had my android stint for a bit and just could take it anymore. Gs3 was good (terrible screen) lg Optimus g hella fast but terrible battery life, htc evo lte the only phone that I feel is a great contender amazing screen beautiful pictures and surprisingly fast with jellybean but still has lag. iPhone 5 is the only phone I was happy with and I have no idea why I got rid of my first one. But now I'm back with my white beauty and loving every minute !!!! I posted some pics from my evo lte you be the judge

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have to ask, why did you choose to get the iP5 now instead of waiting for the iP5S? I have an upgrade coming in a month and I am always one to want the latest but would rather get a new iPhone and stick with it for at least 2 years (but I say that every year). So I am asking an honest question since its the age old question, buy now or wait and I know everyone says if you always wait you will always be waiting. Just wondering.

You act as if the next iteration of iPhone is remotely close...the truth is, who knows when the next iPhone is going to come? It could be June, it could be Sept./Oct. again...in that case you're talking 6 months plus, and to some, that's a pretty lengthy wait for a new device. He said he only wanted the upgrade for LTE, and i can almost guarantee that whatever the next iPhone is, it will be nearly identical when it comes to LTE data performance, and if that's what he was primarily concerned with, what's the point in waiting?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't disagree with your comment, I simply asked the question and rumors are just that, rumors. I too have made a decision to jump back and likely I will be using one of my upgrades available in about a month to get an iP5, I figured why wait (as many have said) and the iP5S is not likely to be a big jump over the iP5 and I will likely want to get the iP6 next summer/fall anyways. The real question is what case to get, a Mophie or just a case.

motor96

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't disagree with your comment, I simply asked the question and rumors are just that, rumors. I too have made a decision to jump back and likely I will be using one of my upgrades available in about a month to get an iP5, I figured why wait (as many have said) and the iP5S is not likely to be a big jump over the iP5 and I will likely want to get the iP6 next summer/fall anyways. The real question is what case to get, a Mophie or just a case.

I too will probably just get the 5 and if the 5s is just awesome I will sell the 5 and pay retail for 5s. As for the case I've been eyeing the incipio frequency in black or the incase see through case. :D

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Because the OP wasn't going to wait until August or whenever to get the i5S. Now is the right time to buy the latest iPhone because when iOS 6.1.3 comes out, there won't be an untethered jailbreak until iOS 7.1 or something. Maybe there won't ever be another jailbreak. Who knows. Enjoy your new iPhone, OP. I've had mine for a month now and still love it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Alright....(laughing)....I gave in and ordered an iPhone 5 moments ago. It's not my fault....:)....That's my story and I'm sticking to it....:D

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
There have been many people citing problems with their iP5 and I have experienced some...but I have simply loved using it and can't imagine going back to...anything else. It is a company phone and as long as they are going to pay for my phone (and the service) I am at the mercy of our IT guys and whatever they say is ok to use. But for the next 18 months I get to use the iP5. I really enjoy this phone. Congrats to anyone getting to upgrade to it.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Congrats to the OP with your new iPhone 5 - enjoy it:eek:

Alright....(laughing)....I gave in and ordered an iPhone 5 moments ago. It's not my fault....:)....That's my story and I'm sticking to it....:D
:eek:OMG DEEEEEE!! you did it, you sly dog you LOL. good for you:D I've been holding myself off as well.....but honestly idk how much longer that'll last for me either:p congrats and enjoy as well when you get yours.

:(we'll miss your ss's in the 4S thread, but the 5 ss thread is just a tap away;):D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Congrats to the OP with your new iPhone 5 - enjoy it:eek:

:eek:OMG DEEEEEE!! you did it, you sly dog you LOL. good for you:D I've been holding myself off as well.....but honestly idk how much longer that'll last for me either:p congrats and enjoy as well when you get yours.

:(we'll miss your ss's in the 4S thread, but the 5 ss thread is just a tap away;):D

(laughing)...You know, it's not my fault...:D...I was minding my own business and enjoying my trusty 4S when my wife asked, "why haven't you bought the iPhone 5 yet? I'm surprised you didn't get it when it was initially made available. Are you sick or something?" The next thing I knew, I was mysteriously logged in to my Verizon Wireless account and watching my fingers, on their own accord, order an iPhone 5...I tried to stop 'em, but they ignored the cease & desist order from my brain. There was nothing I could do, Pink. I swear!...(laughing)

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
WOW, You had excellent self control this long... I am holding out for the 5S. Believe it or not, so far, this 22nd unit of the 4S is the first one that hasn't flipped out *knocks on wood...twice* so I am hopeful

Spoke too soon. This one just did it. Dammit!

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
(laughing)...You know, it's not my fault...:D...I was minding my own business and enjoying my trusty 4S when my wife asked, "why haven't you bought the iPhone 5 yet? I'm surprised you didn't get it when it was initially made available. Are you sick or something?" The next thing I knew, I was mysteriously logged in to my Verizon Wireless account and watching my fingers, on their own accord, order an iPhone 5...I tried to stop 'em, but they ignored the cease & desist order from my brain. There was nothing I could do, Pink. I swear!...(laughing)

Lmao !! That's your story & your sticking to it:D
Good for you.....I might not be far behind you in this case lol. I'm starting to get sticky fingers myself:p

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Lmao !! That's your story & your sticking to it:D
Good for you.....I might not be far behind you in this case lol. I'm starting to get sticky fingers myself:p

Noooo hold out...hold out with me! It's been hard to not upgrade this whole time, just to see if it fixed the issue. But they kept telling me not to at Apple, "the new one will be out sooner than you realize". So I kept waiting. I have this damn Apple store g/c burning a hole in my wallet. And my upgrade. I should be using the gift cards for software I actually need, but I want to use it on a phone. My husband thinks Im a lunatic, but whatever.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Noooo hold out...hold out with me! It's been hard to not upgrade this whole time, just to see if it fixed the issue. But they kept telling me not to at Apple, "the new one will be out sooner than you realize". So I kept waiting. I have this damn Apple store g/c burning a hole in my wallet. And my upgrade. I should be using the gift cards for software I actually need, but I want to use it on a phone. My husband thinks Im a lunatic, but whatever.
Ahhhhh...trust me I'm *trying* to hold out - and I know what you mean about hanging on to not upgrade, especially with the ish you've been through since your original 4 got stolen. I'm glad to hear #22 is holding on well for you **knocks wood several times for you**

I do want to see what the 5S is going to bring...that's another reason why I'm trying like he11 to wait it out also. And if the g/c burns a hold in your wallet, replace your wallet:p lol hang on to that card girl!!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 5 arrived at around noon today so I took some time to update it to iOS 6.1.3 and play around with it and the verdict is this: I am TICKED that I didn't get it sooner. I underestimated its speed & fluidity in doing normal everyday smartphone stuff. Anyway, I got it, I'm enjoying it, and like my 4S, it just works!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro