iPhone 5 to Apple TV question

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Is it possible to stream from an iPhone in one state to an Apple TV in another? My Uncle-in-law wants to stream a game from someone's phone to his Apple TV so he can watch his son play basketball. Can you AirPlay FaceTime via an Apple TV?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Is it possible to stream from an iPhone in one state to an Apple TV in another? My Uncle-in-law wants to stream a game from someone's phone to his Apple TV so he can watch his son play basketball. Can you AirPlay FaceTime via an Apple TV?

Nope. That will not work and I do not think there is any hack to do so. It would have to be iPhone to iPhone.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
One big caveat is that you may want the device on the sending end of things to be on wifi if at all possible--running FaceTime for an entire basketball game might use a LOT of data, which could lead to overage charges if your doing it over cellular.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yes it works. Caveat, all 3 of my devices were on the same wifi network because it don't have access to FaceTime over cellular, but I don't think that will affect anything.

Steps:
1. Connect the FaceTime call between both iPhones (I tested with an iPhone 5 on the receiving end and an iPad mini on the sending.)
2. On the iPhone at the receiving end that is on the same wifi network as the Apple TV (otherwise airplay doesn't work), double click the home button to bring up the system tray.
3. Swipe twice to the right. You should see the Airplay icon. (It's only one swipe if you are using an iPad).
4. Click the Airplay icon and select the Apple TV as the destination. Make sure the switch for Mirroring is on.
5. That's it.

It should work with any iDevice that supports airplay mirroring-definitely the iPhone 4S & 5, iPad mini, and iPad 3 & 4. I'm not sure if the iPad 2 supports mirroring or not.

Didn't think of that, clever. But yes data charges would be insane.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner