Slow LTE speeds

Sniper1087

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok well as the title says I am very concerned with the data speeds I am getting on my iPhone 5 now I am in an LTE area and I am only getting around 4-5mbps download and around 1-2mbps upload, is the network too cluttered ? or is it an issue with the iPhone? I also have a windows phone Lumina 920 and is not getting those issues, is getting better down and way better up, any help would be appreciated

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok well as the title says I am very concerned with the data speeds I am getting on my iPhone 5 now I am in an LTE area and I am only getting around 4-5mbps download and around 1-2mbps upload, is the network too cluttered ? or is it an issue with the iPhone? I also have a windows phone Lumina 920 and is not getting those issues, is getting better down and way better up, any help would be appreciated

It's probably just the network. I have been in areas that are LTE areas but are on the edge of the coverage area. I've gotten down to 4-5 Mbps In these areas.

It all depends on the service and the coverage. Most LTE areas will get 15+, but there are many where you get less, especially in larger cities.

What is your carrier and location?

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Sniper1087

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Carrier AT&T location South Florida, I had another LTE phone and was getting higher speeds up to 8mbps down where I lived, so makes me wonder if it could be the phone or the speedtest app is inaccurate

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Carrier AT&T location South Florida, I had another LTE phone and was getting higher speeds up to 8mbps down where I lived, so makes me wonder if it could be the phone or the speedtest app is inaccurate

AT&T LTE is a bit slower than Verizon. I have friends in my area that routinely get less than 5 Mbps on AT&T LTE. Plus, being in South Florida you will have a higher concentration of users, congesting the network.

Sniper1087

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
AT&T LTE is a bit slower than Verizon. I have friends in my area that routinely get less than 5 Mbps on AT&T LTE. Plus, being in South Florida you will have a higher concentration of users, congesting the network.

Hmm the main issue is that Verizon doesn't have 4G here ugh and like I said other phones were showing faster speeds, also yesterday it was showing LTE connection but barely Any data was showing was getting less than 1mbps In a specific area which is common to get slow speed, but the LTE did not change to 4G and had to turn off the phone to get it working again

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Hmm the main issue is that Verizon doesn't have 4G here ugh and like I said other phones were showing faster speeds, also yesterday it was showing LTE connection but barely Any data was showing was getting less than 1mbps In a specific area which is common to get slow speed, but the LTE did not change to 4G and had to turn off the phone to get it working again

You may also want to try using different servers in the speed test app. Every server will give you different speeds. I've tried a few that are really slow.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I am in the South Jersey area on AT&T. My iPhone 5 will get anywhere from 16 to 25 mbs. The closest
AT&T tower is about 2 blocks from house. with both my IP5 and my iPad 3, also on AT&T, I can watch
the download speeds from minute to minute. I am guessing this is due to traffic load and weather conditions.

Back in October I was stuck in a traffic jam on the Staten Island Expressway and I thought let me do a quick
LTE speed check. I got between 45 to 55 mbs just sitting in traffic. So I think that AT&T has different
equipment configurations.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
OP - could it be you need to confirm if you're truly on the iphone LTE plan? Seeing as you have other phones, did you get the iphone off-contract? If so, maybe it didn't trigger with AT&T to switch you to the iphone LTE plan.... Maybe why you're getting 3G level speeds?? Just a thought...

jonathan2677

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm outside of Philly by about a hour it's Lehigh Valley pa and I pull about 50 Mbps on verizon pretty consistent , when I had AT&T if I was pulling 15 it was a lucky test but in AT&T defense there lte network in my area was only a few months established but still in my area verizon def kills AT&T I'm sure that varies by location

Sniper1087

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
OP - could it be you need to confirm if you're truly on the iphone LTE plan? Seeing as you have other phones, did you get the iphone off-contract? If so, maybe it didn't trigger with AT&T to switch you to the iphone LTE plan.... Maybe why you're getting 3G level speeds?? Just a thought...

Well I did get the IPhone unlocked but I do see the LTE icon on the corner but the speeds aren't up to par

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I get that buy what I'm saying is that maybe you need to call AT&T and tell them you have an LTE iPhone... You might only be provisioned for a 3G HSPA iPhone plan.

Sniper1087

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I get that buy what I'm saying is that maybe you need to call AT&T and tell them you have an LTE iPhone... You might only be provisioned for a 3G HSPA iPhone plan.

I called them and yeah they told me to head to a store and get the sim replaced, the funny thing is I did a test without LTE on and got faster speeds , o and yeah I went to AT&T in the first place they should know the plan

Update: Ok called them again and was explaining them that my HSPA+ speeds were faster than my LTE and they said that because my phone was unlocked, yes purchased unlocked from Apple and it says on their website it supports their bands with AT&T LTE and is not working for some reason, any ideas? It sounds fishy that HSPA+ is reaching over 9mbps and LTE up to 3.5mbps during non busy hours, and what bothers me is that the employee says is my phone and I need to change it to a lock one from AT&T, and that I have to go to Apple to get it change

Update 2: contacted Apple and they told me the phone had nothing to do with it since its compatible with LTE radio for AT&T, that it had to do with them. I am going to change my sim and see if it works if it doesn't ill switch to a 4S

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

It really just comes down to specific areas...in Atlanta, AT&T by far trumps all the other carriers when it comes to data speeds, but when we visited Boston, Verizon was the trump card and AT&T was a little spotty outside of the metro area.

Sniper1087

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
It really just comes down to specific areas...in Atlanta, AT&T by far trumps all the other carriers when it comes to data speeds, but when we visited Boston, Verizon was the trump card and AT&T was a little spotty outside of the metro area.

I figured the LTE here sucks will be going back to HSPA+ with my 4S since is still a great phone

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Here in Houston, I would say it depends where you live. We are a somewhat big city you know. Anyways, I can get 2 down sometimes and then the most I have ever gotten was 40 something. That was only once and it was in Pasadena, which is just outside Houston. I average 15 down.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2