- Should it be renamed Apple don't care ?

s2013

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
A word of warning for everyone who thinks they get a good deal by exchanging Iphones, if its not in a new box complete with charger etc then I would certainly question its origin as not being new

The replacements being supplied more than likely contain 2nd hand / used parts ! (read the apple care warranty, is very clear on the matter), therefore if you have an issue say 30 days after purchasing, the replacemenet you are offered will most likely contain parts from earlier builds, or even the initial of iphones last year, or maybe earlier..This could acount for the seemining increasing number of phones with markings out of the box

Extract from apple warranty
WHAT WILL APPLE DO IN THE EVENT THE WARRANTY IS BREACHED?
If during the Warranty Period you submit a valid claim to Apple or an AASP, Apple will, at its option, repair the Apple Product using new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, (ii) replace the Apple Product with a product that is at least functionally equivalent to the Apple Product and is formed from new and /or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (iii) exchange the Apple Product for a refund of your purchase price.

How would you feel about being offerd a replacement for your shiny new Iphone, with something which could be several months old and taken unknown hammering ?... Good Deal or Not ?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Try getting the same level of service for a phone from Motorola... or Samsung... HTC... shall I continue?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
They don't give you a returned device. They take the fully functioning parts from old phones and put them together in a new case. So, you're basically getting a new phone, even if it is refurbished. Your replacement phone will have its own warranty and it should function as new.

Also, I've seen many times where people have been given a completely new phone in box from behind the counter at the Apple store.

This program is the best one available from any phone manufacturer. I've never had issues, not have I ever known anyone that had issues with the program.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Of course, what you decide to bold does make a difference in how it sounds:

Extract from apple warranty
WHAT WILL APPLE DO IN THE EVENT THE WARRANTY IS BREACHED?
If during the Warranty Period you submit a valid claim to Apple or an AASP, Apple will, at its option, repair the Apple Product using new or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, (ii) replace the Apple Product with a product that is at least functionally equivalent to the Apple Product and is formed from new and /or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (iii) exchange the Apple Product for a refund of your purchase price.

But I defy anyone to find another company that offers anywhere NEAR the customer service and warranty service that Apple offers. Simply unparalleled.
(By the way, I'm typing this on my refurbished MacBook Pro, which came with the same warranty as a "new" model but at a much lower price.)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not getting too worked up over this. I got a new replacement (from a new box containing everything including the Apple logo stickers)... but regardless, as others have stated, refurbished is as good quality. I would have been happy with either... Apple stands behind their products. Period.

No need getting our collective panties in a bunch by a n00b (2 posts, both in this thread), selectively highlighting phrases from the Apple warranty document.

Moving on.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Agree with the pro-apple posters here. I spent some time with the geniuses this week, and they DO stand behind their stuff. If they give you one that --for some reason -- doesn't work, they will give you another. I have received brand new replacements out of the (new) box. I had an exceptionally funky multi- day multi- device no- signal thing going on, and they cheerfully swapped 3x (hint: it wasn't because the phones were bad that it took 3 devices...) It wasn't even a hardware issue in the end, they still kept trying new devices, just in case...

Contrast that w/ girl who was there when I was. Her iPhone was stolen, and she received replacement through Asurion. Three weeks later, it wasn't working, so she came to see a genius. They checked it out and told her it was garbage inside: corroded, mismatched parts, etc. For her $250 Asurion deductible, she received actual garbage. It doesn't always happen that way, but it can.

That would simply not happen with an Apple replacement. They're not going to give you garbage that they would then have to fix. Asurion, on the other hand, sticks a phone in the mail and its out of their hands. And who knows WHERE they come from...

Also, with iPhone5, refurbs are still pretty rare. Apple DOES manufacture brand- new phones to be packaged as replacements. I know this because I got one a few days after launch day- the genius told me that the replacements had arrived in the store before the launch- day devices got there. Their packaging is not cheap- imagine the cost of replacements if they all came in the cool iPhone box with parts. Only the phones need replacing, so they are boxed as just phones. Cheaper, more environmentally friendly. New or refurb notwithstanding, would trust an Apple service replacement ANY day over one from anywhere else.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To the OP...you represent your argument in a very odd way. You say this...

How would you feel about being offerd a replacement for your shiny new Iphone, with something which could be several months old and taken unknown hammering ?... Good Deal or Not ?

...but you arnt giving them a shiny, new iPhone...when you go in for a replacement, you're giving them a broken iPhone that is not functioning and/or is not in the condition it was when you opened the box, or even in the same condition as the one they are giving you as a replacement...otherwise, what would be the point of going to them for a replacement in the first place? Apple is giving you a replacement for nearly ANY issues with the phone that isn't caused by negligence (and sometimes, even FROM negligence!) I'll be honest with you, of the consumer electronic devices i have owned over the years, I'm hard pressed to think of ONE that does the same.

Apple tops customer satisfaction charts year in and year out...your ridiculous thread title not only has zero legitimacy, it doesn't reflect the experience from Apple at all. As it has been said in other threads...some people just arnt pleased with anything...thankfully, most of us in the real world understand good service when we see it, which is why so many of us love our Apple products.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I think we have made out point. Time to close this thread up and move on?

No need. It will die naturally when people quit replying and it falls off the first page on the forum or showing up in the "New Posts" search page... but if it takes a turn to the nasty, that's another story.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
They don't give you a returned device. They take the fully functioning parts from old phones and put them together in a new case. So, you're basically getting a new phone, even if it is refurbished. Your replacement phone will have its own warranty and it should function as new.

Also, I've seen many times where people have been given a completely new phone in box from behind the counter at the Apple store.

This program is the best one available from any phone manufacturer. I've never had issues, not have I ever known anyone that had issues with the program.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Couldn't of said this better myself. Well said.

jclif

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Let me ask you something, if you get a new car and it breaks down, do you get a brand new replacement car? How about a laptop or computer? Having worked for a couple cell phone companies, Apple has the best replacement policy as far as what they give out that I have seen. After THREE replacements sent from Verizon that were bad, I finally went to the Apple store and they swapped it out right there on the spot, no questions asked, no "this is a Verizon issue", they even went above and beyond and gave me a higher meeory device just because of all the trouble I had with Verizon and I have had absolutely ZERO problems with my phone since then. Bottome line, they are not going to give you an completely brand new phone for the one you've been using, no company will.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hmmn, new poster comes on here and just starts a thread purely designed to make people argue without first saying anything about himself. Obvious troll is obvious...

Back on topic though.

My top of the range (at the time of my problem) 64Gb 3G iPad 2 suffered from an issue where it would not recognise any sim cards put in it for longer than about five minutes and after that would just display "No Sim" in the status bar. I took it back to my local Apple Store, they looked at it, agreed it was faulty, and just gave me a factory shrink wrapped box containing a brand new iPad 2 64Gb 3G. Happy customer.

My Samsumg Galaxy S3 was a 'Friday afternoon' phone and when I took it back and gave them a list of how it was malfunctioning, Samsung just said tough, it 'works as intended.' I've documented my Samsung woes on other threads on iMore for those that are interested and I won't regurgitate them here.

OP, can you guess which brand I favour because of these customer service experiences? Go on, it's not hard.

mrpenaflor

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
This is standard policy and most companies do this BUT there is a replace as new policy. Apple give 14 days to return products that has issues and they will replace with a new one. Also, you should demand for a new unit for the replacement if your defective products falls under the return period as Apple's policy to those who doesn't know is to replace with a refurbished one.

I know this cause when i had an issue with my ipad when it began having problem with its video on its first week. Apple agreed to replace the product but when I inquired if they are going to replace it with a new one, they said that the replacement is a "well tested" unit meaning refurb. They did replace it with a new one when I demanded that i fall under the return period.

One thing I want to point out. If you're legible for a new replacement then you should get a new unit to be safe. Electronic parts, even thought it doesn't have mechanical moving parts, is still subjected to wear and tear and has a life span. When you use your device it heats up and cools down, this makes the circuit to contract and expand causing it to have a bending effect the same as when you bend a spoon back and forth till it breaks.

If one of those components breaks after the warranty is up, then goodluck.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Got my iPhone 5 replaced because the lock button quit. The one they gave me was more than likely refurbished but it works well so I don't care.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73