Exchange and Gmail

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
When I get a new device I will be switching off gmail to outlook mail for push.. At that point I will be saying good bye to google services as a whole

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I've been using gmail for my primary mail since it launched in beta. Today I finished transitioning all of my accounts to my @me.com email address to restore push mail through iCloud. Thanks for the thorough Scroogling google. No Exchange support for the free account equals no more gmail. Oh well. Still works fine for my business account though :).

jagfan2

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I prefer to not use a unified mailbox because I have more than one email account and each used for a different purpose. The ability to pick and choose which account to view works well for my needs.

danimal1968

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Look at why they went against the unified inbox. They said it helps keep the accounts organized, keeps you from sending or replying from a wrong address, and it provides additional security per account. I know some may not find it convenient, but it works extremely well. The only complaint I, or most I have seen have, is that it separates the accounts. But Google has quoted those reasons as to why, and it makes sense.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

I always find that explaining to people why they can't have what they want is a poor substitute for giving them what they want.

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
When I get a new device I will be switching off gmail to outlook mail for push.. At that point I will be saying good bye to google services as a whole

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm off all Google services apart from YouTube for 2 months now. I use Bing as my search engine as well.

Is there a way I can permanently delete my Google account?

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I just had a problem (home button) with my 5 and because I use Google calendar sync for work, chose to replace the home button rather than warranty it out specifically for this issue.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

You can set up a CalDAV account for your google calendar, and a CardDAV account for your contacts. To be frank, using a Microsoft protocol to get Google services on an Apple device sounds a bit cumbersome to me. I kind of miss push mail on my new iPad, but I can get over it.

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Two days Google free. Since I've fully embraced iCloud anyway, I just switched all my mail to my @me.com address. Oh look at that, push on all my devices, and Mac mail even likes it. Tried Outlook.com and hated it in five minutes. Not sure what my mail storage limitations are, but hey, I guess I'll google it. Not entirely google free then I suppose.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I am a bit lost in this so please bear with me. 😊

I understand that I can use the gmail app to get Push or I can set it up as imap which will refresh when I open email or at the defined polling time.

My concern is contacts and calendar, will the gmail calendar and contacts synch with either of these two methods.

Thanks much!

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk

pjcloninger

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I just switched to the iphone 5 from BlackBerry this month. I set up my wife's free personal Gmail account of 2/7/13 via exchange using m.google.com as well as my free personal Gmail account and my free Google Apps for Business account on 2/12/13 with no problems.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

pjcloninger

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Any reason it would still work as a few days ago?

Maybe unrelated but, I also was able to setup gmail via exchange on my BlackBerry Playbook a couple of days ago.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)... To be frank, using a Microsoft protocol to get Google services on an Apple device sounds a bit cumbersome to me. I kind of miss push mail on my new iPad, but I can get over it.
Before Google ended it, setting up Google services via the Microsoft Exchange setup was a cinch and could be done within a minute.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I am a bit lost in this so please bear with me. 
Okay

I understand that I can use the gmail app to get Push or I can set it up as imap which will refresh when I open email or at the defined polling time.
Yes, that is true.

My concern is contacts and calendar, will the gmail calendar and contacts synch with either of these two methods.
Yes, but it is recommended that if you use the CalDav and CardDav setup for syching purposes. Detailed instructions can be found HERE.

Thanks much!

You're very welcome.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you both very much for the helpful answers. 😄

I am actually enquiring on behalf of a friend, I was able to set up mine as Exchange two weeks back but it appears that many are not being able to.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox