Battery Life experiment

Uselessbass

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Not bad man good screen on time is that with the stock battery to ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Yes sir, the stock 2100mAh battery and I'm not rooted. Sitting at 40% right now. figure I'll need to charge to full at around 7:00'ish this am.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

cooljatt18

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
OP its nice to see that your experiment worked, as we all can see that there is a lot of info shared by users on modern batteries, let me clear something for you charging when your phone is at 10-20 % will effect your battery as it will cover its cycles more quickly. Modern batteries have 300 to 500 charge cycle periods with your approach your battery will eventually loose its performance in a year and a half . If you are ok with that then that's great. What i will suggest you is to charge your battery when its at 40-50 % that way you will almost half your charge cycles there by increasing over all battery life. Powering down battery is a nice idea but powering up and down takes a lot of power from the battery its better to put it on flight or bed side mode. if you are not going to be using yyour phone for 2-3 days or more then powering down makes sense. Try my tips and then compare the result.Start with 100% in the morning and then charge it only when its 50%, don't charge overnight or in your officde charge only when its bw 40-50% then see the result. Coming down to 10-20% once in a week for 10 days won't hurt. Toggling wifi bluetooth on off is also a good idea.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
sure I'll try that I'd be interested to see the difference using this method. I'll post up the results in a couple days.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've seen the 40-50% charge point thing somewhere before. While I don't know if I subscribe to it, I do see the benefits. One would be that since you're only charging from a 50% depth of discharge you decrease the amount of time the device needs to be on the charge thus decreasing the chances of overheating while charging. Another is obviously that you'd NEVER find yourself in a situation where you were almost out of juice. LOL

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't care about the battery efficiency reducing or anything. I just find it interesting so I'll try it and see if there is any difference.

estroh

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Seems to make sense rather than risk running out.

Incidentally, others and my father in law included, always fill up the car gas tank at a half tank also.

I've seen the 40-50% charge point thing somewhere before. While I don't know if I subscribe to it, I do see the benefits. One would be that since you're only charging from a 50% depth of discharge you decrease the amount of time the device needs to be on the charge thus decreasing the chances of overheating while charging. Another is obviously that you'd NEVER find yourself in a situation where you were almost out of juice. LOL

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Seems to make sense rather than risk running out.

Incidentally, others and my father in law included, always fill up the car gas tank at a half tank also.

That might be more because the less gas there is in the tank the more it evaporates.

But I did recharge up to 86% from 44% yesterday at around 3:00-3:30pm and here is what my device looks like at 3:54am the next morning...

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361523345796.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361523345796.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm down with charging at 40-50% but I'm not leaving it on overnight. I am pretty much always around a charger so that shouldn't be a problem.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm down with charging at 40-50% but I'm not leaving it on overnight. I am pretty much always around a charger so that shouldn't be a problem.

I think I like the 40-50% charge method. In a 22 hour period I plugged in once for about 45 minutes to charge from 44% to 86%. The rest of that time was on battery and was a combination of spotty 3G/LTE, Strong LTE and Wi-Fi.

Last edited:

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Unplugged yesterday morning between 5:45-6:00am. Charged up from about 46% at around 3:00pm and about to plug in now (26 hours later) at 48% to complete the charge cycle!

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait to try this on my 5 when I reactivate it in the morning. The iPhone charges so fast that the power off and charge during the morning is really A viable option.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I definitely have been doing it and it is great. I get the same battery life I get waiting for it to get to 10-20% except the 50% is more convenient because I can charge as soon as I get to work. I love not having to 🔌 it in at night. Now I need to get my wife doing the same thing.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I definitely have been doing it and it is great. I get the same battery life I get waiting for it to get to 10-20% except the 50% is more convenient because I can charge as soon as I get to work. I love not having to 🔌 it in at night. Now I need to get my wife doing the same thing.

Sweet! Just switched back to my 5 yesterday and am doing the charge only at 20% thing. Sitting at 9 hours, 4 minutes of usage and 18 hours, 7 minutes of standby trying to burn this last 4% so I can recharge. Lol

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
yeah that is really good I will check but one of my tweaks messes up the stats so not sure I will be able to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2