app size in iPhone is like triple from the size noted in the App Store?

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I just realized this since my iPhone is running out of space...

I looked at Angry Birds Star Wars, the app size in iTunes is 31 MB, but when I check my iPhones, it's 109 MB. WOW!!! This is just the app size, not including document and data

Just downloaded NFS: Most Wanted; in iTunes, it's < 700 MB, in iPhones, it's 1.7 GB. damnnnnnn!!! Temple Run 2, iTunes 42.3 M B, iPhone 132.9 MB! This is just installation, I have yet played the game of Temple Run and NFS....

When I check the size bar, the 'other' size is 920 MB. What is 'other' that takes up so much space?

what happened? is this normal?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine differ quite a bit from yours on those 3 apps, but they are significantly bigger than what is shown in the app store (as far as size goes)...much like software on a computer, what you download and what you're left with as far as usable software differ quite a bit, and what you see on your device is a usable, none compressed, "open" (for lack of better term) piece of software, most times with two parts (as you mentioned), the app itself and all the little supporting files that go with it (including pretty significant updates over time, which may not be reflected in the original download "size")

These size variations are normal.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
And don't forget the size shown in the app store is just the app - no saved game states, no stats, no levels, etc.

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
saved game states, stats, levels etc are documented in the 'documents and data'. if you go to usage and click the app, then you can see it. The size I am talking about is just size app ONLY, not included saved games as I mentioned previously.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
saved game states, stats, levels etc are documented in the 'documents and data'. if you go to usage and click the app, then you can see it. The size I am talking about is just size app ONLY, not included saved games as I mentioned previously.

As previously stated, when the apps are installed on your device they are decompressed to a full size installation. The installer may be only 50MB, but then it's installed and decompressed could be 100+. And game save data is not saved in documents and data unless a specific game asks for that permission. Most games just store the data directly in the app.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

And as i mentioned previously...the larger file size is normal, and is part of the loading of a usable game on your phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox