Certain saved pics needing resized...

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I had trouble thinking of a more appropriate title. Since google and prior forums posts didn't turn up anything, here goes:

When I save pics from websites or apps like Facebook, Chive, Tapatalk, etc., I find they have taken on a new size that transcends the boundaries of the screen. This does not happen in every case however. Does anyone know why or perhaps even better, a fix? My resolution at this point is to resize the picture in the camera roll, screen shot it, and delete the one that's 'too big'.

Here is an example I have by saving a pic from a different thread in the forum. The first pic is a screenshot of how it appeared in the thread. The second is how it saved to my camera roll.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359642502.353767.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359642517.715050.jpg

Last edited:

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay,

Not including the iPhone for testing I saved some images to my Mac.

One picture saved from a post that used upload from Tapatalk is 33.KB and resolution of 361x640

Another image from Tapatalk is 38 KB with Resolution 427x640

One saved from the forums as an attachment is 258 KB with Resolution 577x1024

So either compression is playing a factor, along the ways of different device resolution from 4S to 5

Definitely interesting.......

trebor8806

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
You are saving a screenshot from a smaller resolution iPhone i.e. a 4 or 4S. Try pinching to zoom out. The photos app automatically zooms in to fill the iPhone 5's screen. Try saving someone's screenshot from an iPhone 5 and you won't come across that problem.

bahandi

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I remember that thread I actually commented in it. But the op's issue was with pics he was taking with his camera. With me, all of the pics I take are fine. It's when I save certain ones from sites.

Ah, yes. I just saw that there seemed to be no resolution to the old thread.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You are saving a screenshot from a smaller resolution iPhone i.e. a 4 or 4S. Try pinching to zoom out. The photos app automatically zooms in to fill the iPhone 5's screen. Try saving someone's screenshot from an iPhone 5 and you won't come across that problem.

That helps from the screenshot standpoint and I thank you. That leaves the saving of photos. The pic I posted in this thread was actually saved directly to the camera roll and not the result of a screenshot. It looked normal in the website, but abnormal once saved in the camera roll. Strange.

trebor8806

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
That helps from the screenshot standpoint and I thank you. That leaves the saving of photos. The pic I posted in this thread was actually saved directly to the camera roll and not the result of a screenshot. It looked normal in the website, but abnormal once saved in the camera roll. Strange.

But what I am trying to say is that the picture you saved directly from the website is a screenshot from another iPhone with the resolution of 640x960. When you go into your photos app the picture you saved from the site gets zoomed in because the photos app is trying to fill your iPhone 5's bigger screen, causing it to look like the sides are chopped off. All you need to do is zoom out. The photos app only seems to default to a zoomed view only with photos with the 640x960 size, for me at least. It is strange that it does that, but there is no fix for it unless you zoom out and screen shot it as you said before. But then the pic you take a screenshot of will have black on the top and bottom of the picture. You wouldn't notice that on your iPhone 5's display. Though you would notice if you view the screenshot on another device or computer.

In other words, your pictures you saved from websites aren't being abnormally saved. They just default to a zoomed view. The photos app has always done this.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
But what I am trying to say is that the picture you saved directly from the website is a screenshot from another iPhone with the resolution of 640x960. When you go into your photos app the picture you saved from the site gets zoomed in because the photos app is trying to fill your iPhone 5's bigger screen, causing it to look like the sides are chopped off. All you need to do is zoom out. The photos app only seems to default to a zoomed view only with photos with the 640x960 size, for me at least. It is strange that it does that, but there is no fix for it unless you zoom out and screen shot it as you said before. But then the pic you take a screenshot of will have black on the top and bottom of the picture. You wouldn't notice that on your iPhone 5's display. Though you would notice if you view the screenshot on another device or computer.

In other words, your pictures you saved from websites aren't being abnormally saved. They just default to a zoomed view. The photos app has always done this.

Ohhhhhh, I got ya now. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to break it down. I think that solves that mystery :)