Battery dying too quickly?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I would put money on it then that it's your reception then. Working that radio will give you what you have been seeing.

Can you check with your carrier, most have Network Extenders which help with indoor reception issues, normally basements....

Worth a shot asking them

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
ive found that leaving wifi on even when not connected doesnt really effect my battery. also, make sure bluetooth is off. sometimes it can be on by default and not even show the indicator in the notification bar. however, a weak signal definitely will. when youre home, try to stay on wifi as much as possible.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I would put money on it then that it's your reception then. Working that radio will give you what you have been seeing.

Can you check with your carrier, most have Network Extenders which help with indoor reception issues, normally basements....

Worth a shot asking them

Ill do that. Does it cost anything?

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
ive found that leaving wifi on even when not connected doesnt really effect my battery. also, make sure bluetooth is off. sometimes it can be on by default and not even show the indicator in the notification bar. however, a weak signal definitely will. when youre home, try to stay on wifi as much as possible.

My Bluetooth is off. Wi off. Raise to speak off. Siri on and location services on. Always close multitasking tray. I guess it's the reception.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind all of this could be construed as misrepresentation. If one person is providing a screenshot of his/her usage, but is running their phone at full brightness, while surfing the net and watching youtube for majority of his usage, on a weak 3G signal..........of course the stats are going to look worse that the other person who keeps their screen as dim as possible, while streaming music for majority of his usage (which keeps the screen low to off), on wifi all day.

With so little accompanying information in threads like this, it makes it nearly impossible to accurately tell if someone is seeing "adequate" battery life or not.

I have tested your theory. I have just browsed the web with everything off in my settings. And I still get similar figures. Actually even worse. I got 4 hours and 52minutes usage with 12 hours standby. Not great at all. A matter a fact I never get the 8 hours apple promised EVER

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have tested your theory. I have just browsed the web with everything off in my settings. And I still get similar figures. Actually even worse. I got 4 hours and 52minutes usage with 12 hours standby. Not great at all. A matter a fact I never get the 8 hours apple promised EVER

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If that's the case then it may warrant a call to your carrier's tech support team or a trip to the nearest Apple store if feasible. In the beginning when I first picked up this phone, I was messing around trying to judge the battery performance. By simply reducing the screen brightness from full to about 25% and using wifi vs carrier signal I was able to double the usage. And that should be the case with any phone, not just the iPhone.

farside33

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Recently had the battery drain issue also. Went from 100% to 25% in 3 hours when phone was on standby. Discovered that our Exchange server has a corruption and that iOS 6.1 was trying to resend data (20 MBytes) every 60 seconds. The wifi option was off so the traffic was going through cell radio. The phone was extremely hot to touch. Turned on wifi to packet sniff on my router (how I discovered the issue). The phone was still retrying every 60 seconds but the phone did cool off and battery drain slowed down. After fixing the Exchange Server issue the phone went back to normal battery drain.

Apple needs to seriously look at their networking routines when errors occur.

farside33

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to mention that the amount of data sent during this time (via cell operation) was 300 MB over the 3 hour period. Thankfully I have unlimited data.

juwaack68

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I've not had any issues here since the upgrade, but I also recently made a couple of setting changes on my iP5 that help a lot - turning off Push email and turning off Location Services for apps that I don't use a lot.

flashhh

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
How do you turn off push email and location services?

My battery is draining very quickly overnight. I went from 60% to about 40% overnight, which seems too high.

I've not had any issues here since the upgrade, but I also recently made a couple of setting changes on my iP5 that help a lot - turning off Push email and turning off Location Services for apps that I don't use a lot.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Disabling Push Email will let your device idle rather than constantly waiting around for a new message. Sure, you might not get an email seconds after it was sent, but if immediate delivery isn’t critical you should just set your phone to poll your mail servers less often.

Turning off Location Services
is another helpful battery saver. Your GPS loves sipping power, so if you keep your apps from constantly tracking your location your iPhone will last a bit longer.

Download over Wi-Fi instead of LTE or 3G
. If you have any larger downloads, such as a software update, a podcast, music, video, or whatever, you’ll be better off letting Wi-Fi handle the download. First of all, it’ll generally download faster over a Wi-Fi connection so your phone won’t be actively downloading for quite as long. Second, your phone’s LTE and 3G radio tends to be a little more battery-hungry so it’ll cause more of a drain regardless.

Disable unnecessary notifications. Every time you receive a notification, your device’s screen lights up to tell you. This takes a little power and you probably don’t need to be notified of every little thing that every app wants to tell you. Go into your iPhone’s notification settings (in the Settings app) and turn off notifications for any app you don’t really care about.

Buy plenty of extra chargers so you can power your phone wherever you are. This doesn’t necessarily improve your battery life but it improves the likelihood that your iPhone will last as long as you need it. Put a charger in your car, at your desk, by your bed, and anywhere else you frequently find yourself so you never have to go through any trouble to plug it in.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just updated with new OS and my iPad battery drains big time. any help or fix in the works?

How high is the brightness level on your iPad? Are you using it 'continuously', and if so, how long? Is it a Wi-Fi Only model or a Wi-Fi + 3G/LTE model? If the latter and if you're using 3G/LTE, make sure you have a good signal because if you do not, your battery will indeed take a hit.

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Mines been consistent throughout 6.0 to 6.1.3
Mine has not, usage time over wifi has decreased tremenously after 6.1.2 and 6.1.3

Previously I would see 8+ hours of usage time with predominantly wifi use and 4-5 hours if predominantly 4G/LTE.

After insttalling 6.1.2 and 6.1.3 I would see no more than 3-5 hours of usage (closer to 5 if more wifi, close to 3 if more 4G/LTE).

I am currently trying a "fix" that I saw on this Apple support thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4907710?start=0&tstart=0

Sounded silly, but not difficult to try and so far I have 3.5 hours of use and 22 hours of standby but still have 65% charge left...might be worth a try if you have seen a drop in battery life after 6.1.2 and 6.1.3