Verizon iPhone 5 ... unlocked SIM?

TBolt

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. Visitor here from the Android world.

Considering an iPhone for an older member of my family ... need to know if Verizon's iPhone 5 truly has an unlocked SIM out of the box. She will travel into GSM countries, and I want her to have little hassle as possible in using a local, pre-paid mobile service.

Also, my understanding is that the back of the iPhone can't be removed. So, does this mean the pre-paid mobile carrier will change something in the settings without having to drop in a SIM card?

Thank you for your help!

epicness4G

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
The sim is on the side, you take it out with a paper clip,
And for the hundredth time, yes. The Verizon iPhone 5 comes factory unlocked, any gsm sim will work on it. LTE only on Verizon.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
As already posted, it is factory unlocked. You will need a nano-sim though. If they are going somewhere that doesn't carry the iPhone 5, it may be a little difficult getting a nano-sim.

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
As already posted, it is factory unlocked. You will need a nano-sim though. If they are going somewhere that doesn't carry the iPhone 5, it may be a little difficult getting a nano-sim.

in that case, you can buy a nano sim cutter online for cheap or cut it yourself.

Petk

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
The follow up question to this - I know LTE will not work on GSM networks, but will 3G work using SIM card from overseas GSM?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Gsm and CDMA have nothing to do with LTE .. Actually LTE will work on gsm carriers like att they are just on different bands

That's why a Verizon iPhone 5 pop a sim in you can get 3G and hspca just not LTE because the phone can not pick up that band

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

skcseth

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
The follow up question to this - I know LTE will not work on GSM networks, but will 3G work using SIM card from overseas GSM?

Yes! I purchased my iPhone 5 from Verizon back in November before I moved here to Italy. All I had to do was take out the Verizon SIM, and pop in an Italian Vodaphone SIM, and I (near instantly) had 3G service.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox