iPhone 5 battle damage: chips, dents, scratches, and more! [Photos]

Matt.Musiol

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Weirdly enough, this thread has liberated me from the world of cases. I've always used cases due to the fear of marking up my my precious and pristine Apple device. I've come to realize that A) the device is designed to be light, thin, and gorgeous and I'm a dummy for altering that, and B) I'll most likely be upgrading to the next model or worst case scenario, the model after that regardless. If I was only given a single device for all of eternity then yes, I would throw a military grade bubble over it. Thankfully, that's not the case! Enjoy the device and use it how it was intended!

Also, if Rene (who probably uses his devices more than all of us combined) can roll caseless, I'm all in.

Thanks for showing me the light Rene!

Berry_Pink

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Weirdly enough, this thread has liberated me from the world of cases. I've always used cases due to the fear of marking up my my precious and pristine Apple device. I've come to realize that A) the device is designed to be light, thin, and gorgeous and I'm a dummy for altering that, and B) I'll most likely be upgrading to the next model or worst case scenario, the model after that regardless. If I was only given a single device for all of eternity then yes, I would throw a military grade bubble over it. Thankfully, that's not the case! Enjoy the device and use it how it was intended!

Also, if Rene (who probably uses his devices more than all of us combined) can roll caseless, I'm all in.

Thanks for showing me the light Rene!

this is a great view to have, im one of those people that cant stand scratches as they are all i can see when i look at the phones screen but i hate having a case because its basically covering up the whole phone design and making it bulky so i risk it lol after all im going to be getting the next phone when it comes out regardless

Hail Caesar

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I got some scratches around the edges, will probably go naked on the phone now. It still looks great but it scratches real easily.

flashhh

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
It's just amazing that apple has managed to do something incredibly stupid with it's most recent iterations of the iphone, whether it's antennagate or scuffgate.

What's even more amazing is that people simply talk out of their a-- as if they were legal experts on manufacturer and consumer liability with these issues when it's 100% obvious no one knows what they're talking about.

I for one, am willing to state that I'm simply going to do further research on this matter.

I apologize to everyone on behalf of the ignoramuses who spout uninformed drivel as if it were THE TRUTH.

flashhh

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Everyone is supposed to read the warranty PRIOR to using the phone. I doubt anyone posting here has:

Apple - Legal

Here is the relevant section:

This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple?s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (?AASP?); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.

To put it simply, Apple denies liability for any cosmetic issue arising for any reason. You have the right not to purchase the phone upon inspection. You also have the right to return the phone within the specified return period. The item must be returned undamaged.

Now, that's the legalese. Clearly, Apple is not following their own policy to the letter. They ARE allowing returns in just about every case with regards to cosmetic damage. This is likely due to the fact that practically speaking:

a. their promotional campaign heavily emphasizes the iphone's esthetics. It would seem hypocritical to invite careful and ongoing inspection and appreciation of the product on strictly esthetic grounds, yet deliver phones which are clearly damaged out of the box, although in theory, they absolve themselves of any liability.

b. apple counts on repeat business; to deny returns even if they are legally able to do so, would likely result in the possibility of mass defections to competing brands, particularly samsung.

OTOH, apple is LIMITING the total number of returns informally because a) they have the legal right to do so, and b) they have a strong financial interest in doing so.

This is all weighed practically speaking, upon day to day, practical assessments of the possibility of consumer backlash, and how much of a loss they can absorb, weighed against the possible reward of repeat business and loyal customers.

As it turns out, apple is definitely allowing lots of returns across the board, with a varying degree of resistance, and with varying policy on the number of returns possible.

So yes, apple COULD deny returns based upon cosmetic issues alone, but they choose not to, since they feel it would be detrimental to their brand long term if they did so.

flashhh

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
The bottom line is that you should read the product warranty very carefully, even prior to purchase. You are likely giving up far more rights than you ever imagined, since it is the manufacturer's interest to minimize their liability.

Fortunately, there is enough market pressure and consideration of long term consumer loyalty to generate a significant amount of leeway practically speaking in the customer's favor.

However, if apple denies a return on less than cosmetically perfect phones, AFTER the specified return period, then they are within their legal right to do so. WIthin 30 days, apple MUST accept a return on items that are returned in the same condition as they were delivered (presumably in 'new', 'like new' or as they say, 'undamaged' condition, whatever that means).

In other words, you should be able to return any phone within the specified return period AS LONG AS IT IS WORKING. That would be the most generous interpretation of 'undamaged.' Practically speaking, it would likely mean that as long as the phone is working and doesn't LOOK like it's been abused, you are almost certainly guaranteed a return. The courts would have to establish a precedent for defining these terms, but apple has obviously decided it's not worth it to risk a legal battle and are allowing returns for cosmetic reasons in most every case.

The point being, return it within the initial return period and try to ensure that any damage is not easily detectable.

david.e.crocker@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a tiny hairline scuff on the chamfered edge which irks me just a tad, but I got this case and have left it on since. The only thing is I think I accidentally got a little "man juice" in my home button and it feels a little sticky when I push it, I don't know how to clean it without taking my iPhone apart :(

Wouldn't that depend on which hand he was using?

david.e.crocker@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
My black iphone 5 has scratches right out of the box. This is my second black 5. I may have to bring a digital camera with me for the next unboxing as proof.

I initially got the black and had the same issue. I immediately returned it and got the white one. First white one and never going back. So much cleaner looking.

JibrAn ShaMsi

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Hy There.
Using Iphone5S Gold
Dropped it from bike when it was in my shirt's pocket.
bounced up couple of times on the head, but the screen and back is safe.
but the sides are badly damaged as it was dropped naked :(
em really concern if sumthing could change or turn my phone back it its original condition
or someone who could do this for me and any other way.
thanks in advance for somone who'll reply.!