"Character"....lol
    Lol. It shows it's been used.

On a more serious note I'm convinced the early adopters got the short end of the stick. My 6 week old naked iPhone 5 is spotless.
    01-28-2013 02:14 PM
    Lol. It shows it's been used.

On a more serious note I'm convinced the early adopters got the short end of the stick. My 6 week old naked iPhone 5 is spotless.
    Perhaps. I got mine a week before Thanksgiving. I did notice a small scuff or two on the bezel.
    I don't ever put my phone in my pocket if it's not alone. No keys, loose change...nothing.
    01-28-2013 02:45 PM
    The only thing is I think I accidentally got a little "man juice" in my home button and it feels a little sticky when I push it, I don't know how to clean it without taking my iPhone apart
    Seriously man....bahahahahahaha!!! Time to invest in a LifeProof case or something similar.

Tap'n Like A Boss on my 5 while grilling on my Weber!
    anon(1458) and djjohnson like this.
    01-28-2013 07:11 PM
    My white glass has this in a few areas too. It's irritating and I'm not sure why it gets like that. The 4 and 4S never did.
    01-30-2013 04:59 PM
    Mine has a nick in the top by the home button. It came out of the box with it. The wife unit suggested I return it for an "undamaged" one. But knowing how fickle iPhone's can be I am not going to risk getting one with a mechanical defect just to fix a nick you can't even see while its in its case.

Sent from a small keyboard with fat fingers using the iMore app.
    01-30-2013 11:36 PM
    My black iphone 5 has scratches right out of the box. This is my second black 5. I may have to bring a digital camera with me for the next unboxing as proof.
    01-31-2013 02:01 AM
    My white glass has this in a few areas too. It's irritating and I'm not sure why it gets like that. The 4 and 4S never did.
    Your glass is scratched or nicked? I'm not using a screen protector and my glass is still mint.
    01-31-2013 02:26 AM
    I scratched up a screen protector like crazy in just a few hours of use. I have rough fingers I guess.
    01-31-2013 03:56 AM
    It seems like the 5 chips easier and was harder to manufacture than past models. It will be interesting to see what Apple will does with the 5s. Maybe they will make some changes, similar to when they tweaked the antenna going from the 4 to the 4s because of "death grip" complaints.
    01-31-2013 10:13 PM
    It seems like the 5 chips easier and was harder to manufacture than past models. It will be interesting to see what Apple will does with the 5s. Maybe they will make some changes, similar to when they tweaked the antenna going from the 4 to the 4s because of "death grip" complaints.
    I though Apple should have stayed with the steel bezel but they decided they wanted to go light and compromise quality with aluminum.
    01-31-2013 11:23 PM
    I though Apple should have stayed with the steel bezel but they decided they wanted to go light and compromise quality with aluminum.
    I think you said it best there. They compromised quality with aluminum. I LOVE my iPhone. It's fantastic. I bought it off contract because I love it so much. But it pains me to say that they screwed up with this casing. They need to do something different with the next iPhone. I'm by no means wealthy and it is a lot of money to me to pay $900 off contract (after tax and AC+) to only have it show up at my door with scratches from the factory.
    02-01-2013 01:08 PM
    I personally love the design and build quality if the iPhone 5. I didn't have any scratches out of the box, but I do have a dead pixel in the center of my screen. It doesn't bother me though. And when I do get scratches on the casing, it won't be a big deal. There isn't a reason for me to put a case on this beautiful phone. It feels so good in the hand without the case.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    02-02-2013 10:54 PM
    I THINK I have a small tiny nick at the bottom of my phone near the headphone jack. I say this because sometimes I see it and sometimes I don't. I'm not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me or not lol. I did notice that I have what looks like dirt by the bezel on my iPhone. Doesn't really bother me much.
    02-04-2013 07:02 AM
    I dropped mine out of my dress shirt pocket in the freezing cold trying to get gas..it was naked as I was wearing a suit and if I was looking good my phone was going to also lol it fell onto the cement luckily only the back left at the bottom got 2 chunks out and somehow the left side near the antenna looks like I poked it somehow with a thumb tack...I have nearly 7 cases I think (my wife thinks I am crazy) this was one of the very few times I didn't have a case on it. Lesson learned. Still a little bummed that it got dented/chunks out so easily.
    02-04-2013 05:44 PM
    I dropped mine out of my dress shirt pocket in the freezing cold trying to get gas..it was naked as I was wearing a suit and if I was looking good my phone was going to also lol it fell onto the cement luckily only the back left at the bottom got 2 chunks out and somehow the left side near the antenna looks like I poked it somehow with a thumb tack...I have nearly 7 cases I think (my wife thinks I am crazy) this was one of the very few times I didn't have a case on it. Lesson learned. Still a little bummed that it got dented/chunks out so easily.
    Your post made me get a case.

02-07-2013 12:46 PM
    Your post made me get a case.

Which one did you get?!?
    02-07-2013 12:55 PM
    Which one did you get?!?
    Speck candyshell.

02-07-2013 12:56 PM
    Speck candyshell.

Excellent selection. I have it in red with black. I like the incipio stashback in black also. Just adds a little bit more depth making it easier to hold on to.
    02-07-2013 01:04 PM
    Weirdly enough, this thread has liberated me from the world of cases. I've always used cases due to the fear of marking up my my precious and pristine Apple device. I've come to realize that A) the device is designed to be light, thin, and gorgeous and I'm a dummy for altering that, and B) I'll most likely be upgrading to the next model or worst case scenario, the model after that regardless. If I was only given a single device for all of eternity then yes, I would throw a military grade bubble over it. Thankfully, that's not the case! Enjoy the device and use it how it was intended!

Also, if Rene (who probably uses his devices more than all of us combined) can roll caseless, I'm all in.

Thanks for showing me the light Rene!
    02-07-2013 01:06 PM
    Weirdly enough, this thread has liberated me from the world of cases. I've always used cases due to the fear of marking up my my precious and pristine Apple device. I've come to realize that A) the device is designed to be light, thin, and gorgeous and I'm a dummy for altering that, and B) I'll most likely be upgrading to the next model or worst case scenario, the model after that regardless. If I was only given a single device for all of eternity then yes, I would throw a military grade bubble over it. Thankfully, that's not the case! Enjoy the device and use it how it was intended!

Also, if Rene (who probably uses his devices more than all of us combined) can roll caseless, I'm all in.

Thanks for showing me the light Rene!
    this is a great view to have, im one of those people that cant stand scratches as they are all i can see when i look at the phones screen but i hate having a case because its basically covering up the whole phone design and making it bulky so i risk it lol after all im going to be getting the next phone when it comes out regardless
    02-10-2013 11:00 AM
    I got some scratches around the edges, will probably go naked on the phone now. It still looks great but it scratches real easily.
    02-10-2013 11:59 AM
    It's just amazing that apple has managed to do something incredibly stupid with it's most recent iterations of the iphone, whether it's antennagate or scuffgate.

What's even more amazing is that people simply talk out of their a-- as if they were legal experts on manufacturer and consumer liability with these issues when it's 100% obvious no one knows what they're talking about.

I for one, am willing to state that I'm simply going to do further research on this matter.

I apologize to everyone on behalf of the ignoramuses who spout uninformed drivel as if it were THE TRUTH.
    02-11-2013 06:07 AM
    Everyone is supposed to read the warranty PRIOR to using the phone. I doubt anyone posting here has:

Apple - Legal

Here is the relevant section:

This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apples published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.

To put it simply, Apple denies liability for any cosmetic issue arising for any reason. You have the right not to purchase the phone upon inspection. You also have the right to return the phone within the specified return period. The item must be returned undamaged.

Now, that's the legalese. Clearly, Apple is not following their own policy to the letter. They ARE allowing returns in just about every case with regards to cosmetic damage. This is likely due to the fact that practically speaking:

a. their promotional campaign heavily emphasizes the iphone's esthetics. It would seem hypocritical to invite careful and ongoing inspection and appreciation of the product on strictly esthetic grounds, yet deliver phones which are clearly damaged out of the box, although in theory, they absolve themselves of any liability.

b. apple counts on repeat business; to deny returns even if they are legally able to do so, would likely result in the possibility of mass defections to competing brands, particularly samsung.

OTOH, apple is LIMITING the total number of returns informally because a) they have the legal right to do so, and b) they have a strong financial interest in doing so.

This is all weighed practically speaking, upon day to day, practical assessments of the possibility of consumer backlash, and how much of a loss they can absorb, weighed against the possible reward of repeat business and loyal customers.

As it turns out, apple is definitely allowing lots of returns across the board, with a varying degree of resistance, and with varying policy on the number of returns possible.

So yes, apple COULD deny returns based upon cosmetic issues alone, but they choose not to, since they feel it would be detrimental to their brand long term if they did so.
    02-11-2013 06:35 AM
    I am agree, but some good quality accessories really works to protect it from damage dust and dirt like an iphone 5 screen protector.

iPhone 5 battle damage: chips, dents, scratches, and more! [Photos]-iphone-5-screen-protectorss.jpg

10 x Front Anti-scratch Glare Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 5 5G]iphone 5 screen protectors
    02-11-2013 06:40 AM
    The bottom line is that you should read the product warranty very carefully, even prior to purchase. You are likely giving up far more rights than you ever imagined, since it is the manufacturer's interest to minimize their liability.

Fortunately, there is enough market pressure and consideration of long term consumer loyalty to generate a significant amount of leeway practically speaking in the customer's favor.

However, if apple denies a return on less than cosmetically perfect phones, AFTER the specified return period, then they are within their legal right to do so. WIthin 30 days, apple MUST accept a return on items that are returned in the same condition as they were delivered (presumably in 'new', 'like new' or as they say, 'undamaged' condition, whatever that means).

In other words, you should be able to return any phone within the specified return period AS LONG AS IT IS WORKING. That would be the most generous interpretation of 'undamaged.' Practically speaking, it would likely mean that as long as the phone is working and doesn't LOOK like it's been abused, you are almost certainly guaranteed a return. The courts would have to establish a precedent for defining these terms, but apple has obviously decided it's not worth it to risk a legal battle and are allowing returns for cosmetic reasons in most every case.

The point being, return it within the initial return period and try to ensure that any damage is not easily detectable.
    02-11-2013 06:49 AM
53 123