Normal battery life using mostly WIFI

juwaack68

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this is normal or not, so I wanted to ask..... What should I expect my battery life to be like for a day when I'm using WiFi the majority of the time (except for the 15 minute drives to and from work). For example, as of right now my iPhone 5 (with OS 6.0.2) has been unplugged from the charger for 9 hours, and the battery is down to 25%. I have it using WiFi at home while I'm getting ready for work, and connected to WiFi while I'm at work. The only thing I've used it for is to check email (and send a few) emails, use iMessage, and check FB and Twitter. No phone calls and no gaming.

Does 25% seem 'normal' for this amount of time and that usage? I'm using Verizon, and with where I sit at work my device shows 5 'bars' (I hate that term) of service. Could the device be bouncing between the WiFi and the carrier signal, causing the battery to go down?

One note, I recently moved into a new location at work (this past Monday) and prior to that the battery was a wee bit better, but the 'bars' were less (like 2, sometimes 3), but I still used WiFi all the time.

Any ideas?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Battery life should be better on WiFi vs Cell

But not one person will get same result as we all operate differently and run different apps, different settings, etc

But you should notice a change on WiFi because the radio on Cell does not have to work as hard.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Furthermore, how often does your Facebook & Twitter app refreshes itself? Is your email configured as IMAP? If so, how often do you have it to check for email messages? Is your Wi-Fi signal constant and strong? Weak signals, frequent polling if emails, frequent social media updates, to name a few, can greatly impact your battery life.

juwaack68

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Furthermore, how often does your Facebook & Twitter app refreshes itself? Is your email configured as IMAP? If so, how often do you have it to check for email messages? Is your Wi-Fi signal constant and strong? Weak signals, frequent polling if emails, frequent social media updates, to name a few, can greatly impact your battery life.

I have 3 email accounts, all set up as 'Exchange', which are set up for 'push' email. I will try turning that off and setting it to use a Fetch setting (when I'm at my desk I don't really need to have both my Outlook and phone notify me of new mail). WiFi is strong - from what I've been observing today, it always has full signal. Facebook only updates manually, but Twitter (Twitteriffic) was set to update every 3 minutes (yikes!). I backed that down to never auto refresh.

Thanks for the suggestions!

juwaack68

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I am still having AWFUL battery life with my iPhone 5. I charge it all night, unplug it around 6am, and by noon it's down to 20%. I have Fetch for email, the majority of my notifications turned off (I only get sounds for email and messages), brightness to a minimum (and auto dim), no apps set to auto-refresh (i.e., Twitter or FB), Location Services turned off for all but a couple of apps (and those apps are not running usually), I barely use the phone or stream music or watch videos.

I do check FB several times a day, and send/receive text/imessages, and that's the majority of my use! My husband and daughter have the same device (we got them all at the same time). My husband uses his a little less for FB and quite a bit less for messages, but does use the phone more. His battery life by the end of the day is in the 60% range. My daughter rarely uses the phone, but texts 10K messages a month (seriously) and hers will be in the 40% range by days end.

Could I just have a faulty device?

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I am still having AWFUL battery life with my iPhone 5. I charge it all night, unplug it around 6am, and by noon it's down to 20%. I have Fetch for email, the majority of my notifications turned off (I only get sounds for email and messages), brightness to a minimum (and auto dim), no apps set to auto-refresh (i.e., Twitter or FB), Location Services turned off for all but a couple of apps (and those apps are not running usually), I barely use the phone or stream music or watch videos.

I do check FB several times a day, and send/receive text/imessages, and that's the majority of my use! My husband and daughter have the same device (we got them all at the same time). My husband uses his a little less for FB and quite a bit less for messages, but does use the phone more. His battery life by the end of the day is in the 60% range. My daughter rarely uses the phone, but texts 10K messages a month (seriously) and hers will be in the 40% range by days end.

Could I just have a faulty device?
Location Services I know is a battery eater. When you go to location services, scroll down until you see system services and turn off the things you don't need. Also I've heard mixed opinions about auto brightness. I keep it off just because I know its using the proximity sensor at all times. By the way do you have siri on?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you're dropping to that % in only a 6 hour time and you're not using processor heavy games or apps, then yes, I would assume it is a faulty device (or some faulty app you're using).

Before taking it back, back it up and do a full restore...see if that fixes anything. If not, then you have all the ammunition you need to go get a replacement at the Apple store with no heavy line of questions.

kojakki

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I have push for few mail accounts, FB etc... WiFi on all day and i usually get 32 to 48 hrs per one charge. I tweaked notification center to minimize apps that appear on lock screen.

From what i have read Push is better option than fetch but not sure about that. Do you have a hard case on your phone with perhaps some metal on it? I tested metal case recently, results were battery drain and slow connection on WiFi but not on LTE...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen