Any device to connect USB External HDD / SD Card to your iPhone 5?

nabncyre

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I love my iPhone 5 except the unexpandable storage. My iphone 5 is 32G, and now i have to delete the app, movies i do not want, so i acan install new one. Is there any device that can connect my iphone 5 with the USB external HDD?

Find an one on amazon, do not know how dose it work? Any one use that before?

Amazon.com: RAVPower Wireless WiFi Disk Built-in 3000 mAh External Battery Pack Charger RP-WD01. Read & Write & Share Data in your SD card, USB Thumb Drive , USB External Hard Drive.For Tablet PC and Smartphones iOS & Android System,iPad, iPad Mini

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Simple answer...no, there are not any legitimate accessories that do this.

You can however download software that allows you to manually move things to and from your iPhone to your computer (which can in turn be connected to a USB storage device where the files can be moved to). There are literally hundreds of them, so you'll have to google which one you think serves you best.

btadams71

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Not true by a longshot. I use the Ravpower wifi disk and power bank and its perfect on my iphone. 5 hours on a battery, or 2 hours if it charges the phone to full. 1 if charging ipad mini. I can access mac extended and FAT formatted. For $50, my next iphone upgrade will only be a 16gb, it doesn't matter anymore. I stream Disney movies to my daughter in the old ipad from it beautifully, and use it as a hotel wifi point when they aren't secure. Create my own security and hidden ssid. I have nothing to do with his company, so I'm not just spouting the company line. I would have paid $200 for this unit, they are incredibly cheap for the possibilities it creates, especially with the built in battery.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not true by a longshot. I use the Ravpower wifi disk and power bank and its perfect on my iphone. 5 hours on a battery, or 2 hours if it charges the phone to full. 1 if charging ipad mini. I can access mac extended and FAT formatted. For $50, my next iphone upgrade will only be a 16gb, it doesn't matter anymore. I stream Disney movies to my daughter in the old ipad from it beautifully, and use it as a hotel wifi point when they aren't secure. Create my own security and hidden ssid. I have nothing to do with his company, so I'm not just spouting the company line. I would have paid $200 for this unit, they are incredibly cheap for the possibilities it creates, especially with the built in battery.

You're suggesting the same thing i did to him with the second part of my post (though this device you're suggesting is a bit comical to me, the app it tells you to download literally made me laugh out loud)...it is exactly what the device you're suggesting does...you download the software (albeit it amazingly cheesy) and you do the same exact thing. It's basically a cheap computer "emulator" (for lack of better term), but the process is no different than what i suggested to him (that you said was "no true by a longshot", go figure, lol)

nabncyre

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
How dose this work? Connect this with my iphone by wifi signal?

btadams71

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, now I'm laughing out loud. You really have no idea what your talking about. It acts just like any other wireless NAS, mounting as a drive on my computer. On a mobile device it also mounts as a drive, though since iOS won't allow certain things (neither will Android) an app has to be used to access it through lack of a true mountable ready file system. Then save the file where you want, or use it from the app. What more would you want it to do, or better question, what "could" it do with os limitations in mind?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Yea...streaming is not the same as connecting any device by USB, which is what the OP wants. If he wants to stream content he can do something as simple as Dropbox or set up his own media server at home...but that won't allow him to use the camera kit he pointed to in the original post to connect USB...to your iPhone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, now I'm laughing out loud. You really have no idea what your talking about. It acts just like any other wireless NAS, mounting as a drive on my computer. On a mobile device it also mounts as a drive, though since iOS won't allow certain things (neither will Android) an app has to be used to access it through lack of a true mountable ready file system. Then save the file where you want, or use it from the app. What more would you want it to do, or better question, what "could" it do with os limitations in mind?

I have a clear understanding of what it does there champ...and know perfectly well what I'm talking about. What you suggested to him is nothing different than what i suggested to him (albeit in a cheesy and almost Chinese knock off looking package, lol). You did not address what the OP was specifically asking about, what we commented on not being available...and you also seem very much like a spammer, so that's about the extent I'm willing to discuss it with you.

btadams71

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Well champ, if you read his question he asks how to connect to a USB drive. He does not ask specifically how to connect directly, but wirelessly in asking about the specific product I Dave my opinion on. And I have nothing to do with the company, I'm a consultant specializing in office efficiency and tech. The company that sells these is from San Jose, not China. Do you look at facts before you post, or just hope others don't? Rav and Kingston are definitely in the forefront right now as far as wifi drives, access to thier drives is not only software dependent on an OEM package from them as many others are. The drive can be viewed in your network as any NAS would. IOS is a different story because of IOS limitations, not the drive framework. What am I missing?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Interesting...considering that the iPhone isn't connecting to the drive without SOFTWARE that essentially becomes the middle man, which is exactly what i suggested to him (only i suggested he get it free on his computer instead of spending $50 or whatever on something that does the same thing the free software does)...at any rate, it's been fun hearing you echo what was already suggested to him.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Guys, several of us have obviously interpreted the OP's question in different ways. So instead of sniping over who's right and who's wrong, I am strongly suggesting (read that as "moderatorial edict") that no one else correct the other guy before hearing again from the OP as to his preferences.

Of course, if someone else comes in with questions in the meanwhile, feel free to answer. But no more sniping.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I love my iPhone 5 except the unexpandable storage. My iphone 5 is 32G, and now i have to delete the app, movies i do not want, so i acan install new one. Is there any device that can connect my iphone 5 with the USB external HDD?

Find an one on amazon, do not know how dose it work? Any one use that before?

Amazon.com: RAVPower? Wireless WiFi Disk Built-in 3000 mAh External Battery Pack Charger RP-WD01. Read & Write & Share Data in your SD card, USB Thumb Drive , USB External Hard Drive.For Tablet PC and Smartphones (iOS & Android System),iPad, iPad Min

Are you running out of room on the device?

For me, i switched my music to iTunes Match which then provides streaming of your music to your device therefore, you do not have to store the music. You can choose which music you want to download to your device from the cloud with Itunes Match.

You can also choose which apps you have on your Iphone along with the movies. Since I do not watch the movies all the time or if I am traveling I will store 2-4 movies max on my system or I will download movies and videos to my Ipad to watch.

Photos do not have to be stored on your phone either. You can upload them to various sites like Flickr or Picasa and then download the app. Or, you can opt for Photostream which streams the photos to your device that was uploaded up to 30 days ago.

nabncyre

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes. It creates its own local network, or join an existing. An Internet connection isn't needed.

So I can take this on an airplane to watch movies that is on my USB hard drive, right? With 3000mah built-in battery, how long can it last for continually using a USB hard drive?

BTW, thanks, all your guys!

Last edited:

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I've been following this thread (enjoy the snipping;-) and followed the link to Amazon, read about it and hit the Purchase button but turns out its not available in Canada and isn't even on the Amazon.ca site. Is anybody aware of a similar device?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
So I can take this on an airplane to watch movies that is on my USB hard drive, right? With 3000mah built-in battery, how long can it last for continually using a USB hard drive?

BTW, thanks, all your guys!

No, because your USB hard drive won't be connected to a network on a plane, and if you leave it at home, connected to your network, you won't be able to connect to it while on an airplane.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I've been following this thread (enjoy the snipping;-) and followed the link to Amazon, read about it and hit the Purchase button but turns out its not available in Canada and isn't even on the Amazon.ca site. Is anybody aware of a similar device?

Try searching for iPad camera connection kit.