Why doesnt apple use swiftkey or make something like that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmbro

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If there's one thing I miss from Android it's SwiftKey, seriously, until you've used it and gotten used to it, you just don't know how amazing it is. I would love to see Apple buy SwiftKey and integrate it into their native keyboard. Or I would like to see Apple use these technologies to make their own version of SwiftKey in their native keyboard (which is a more likely Apple move). SwiftKey is seriously amazing!!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I have a single keyboard on my PC. I have a single keyboard on my Mac. I don't understand why I should then need multiple keyboards on my iPhone or iPad.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a single keyboard on my PC. I have a single keyboard on my Mac. I don't understand why I should then need multiple keyboards on my iPhone or iPad.

I don't think it's about stock piling keyboards as much as it's about choice. I have a corded keyboard on my pc that works fine too. But maybe I'd like a cordless keyboard with backlit keys even better. My goal wouldn't be to have multiple keyboards. It would be to have the best keyboard for me.

With that said, I prefer the IOS keyboard. I dig it.

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site

It's about choice, Alli. A concept that Apple apparently frowns upon. Have you ever seen all the different kinds of keyboards that you can buy for a desktop computer? Standard, split, foldable, tiny, mechanical, soft touch, etc. Not everyone wants or uses the same keyboard for their desktop, so why should they be limited in their choices when it comes to software keyboards for their iPhone?

Sent from somewhere

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I've never had an issue with typing on the iOS keyboard, but I would love to see a better method of text editing, like SwipeSelection. The magnifier method is feeling clunky to me these days.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

You don't need multiple keyboards, you just need swiftkey! You can turn off the auto prediction as well. Or tone it down.

My favorite thing about swiftkey were the shortcuts for numbers and symbols. Hold down the key for an extra few milliseconds (the amount of time can be customized) and you get a number using one key instead of having to bring up a secondary layer of numbers and symbols.

Would be sweet if Apple bought them and used it as the iOS keyboard.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion it is a catch-22. I truly enjoy the iphone for its smoothness and fluiditiy. As much as I detest the saying "it just works", the iphone in my experience is a very polished and efficient device that works well. With that said, I believe this has a great deal to do with the fact that apple does not allow the user to customize core functions via third party apps. I don't have any facts to back this up other than my experiences, but I found that the more I would customize these features (gallery, keyboard, sms app, launcher, etc) on my android devices (most recently the GS3 and Note 2), the more lag and issues I would have. Not too mention the lack of ease I would feel every time I offerered up a boat load of seemingly unnecessary permissions in order to access these third party options but that's for another thread.

In the end, I would love to have options on the iphone similar to android devices, but not at the sacrifice of stability and fluidity in operation. Now, if it were other factors causing my reduced experience aside from the customization, then my feeling is invalid. But at this point, I dont have any reason to think differently.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion it is a catch-22. I truly enjoy the iphone for its smoothness and fluiditiy. As much as I detest the saying "it just works", the iphone in my experience is a very polished and efficient device that works well. With that said, I believe this has a great deal to do with the fact that apple does not allow the user to customize core functions via third party apps. I don't have any facts to back this up other than my experiences, but I found that the more I would customize these features (gallery, keyboard, sms app, launcher, etc) on my android devices (most recently the GS3 and Note 2), the more lag and issues I would have. Not too mention the lack of ease I would feel every time I offerered up a boat load of seemingly unnecessary permissions in order to access these third party options but that's for another thread.

In the end, I would love to have options on the iphone similar to android devices, but not at the sacrifice of stability and fluidity in operation. Now, if it were other factors causing my reduced experience aside from the customization, then my feeling is invalid. But at this point, I dont have any reason to think differently.

I agree with you 100%. I feel the same way. I would love and have enjoyed the options android has but I continue to come back to iOS for a reason. It is a stable and smooth system. I am not willing to sacrifice that for more options that are just "nice to have".

I also had the same experience with android as you did. The more I customized the worse things ran. Many times I would end up doing a restore to get back to a fresh start to get things to run well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
My favorite thing about swiftkey were the shortcuts for numbers and symbols. Hold down the key for an extra few milliseconds (the amount of time can be customized) and you get a number using one key instead of having to bring up a secondary layer of numbers and symbols.

Would be sweet if Apple bought them and used it as the iOS keyboard.

Do you know about the hold/drag/release features in iOS? To get a number from the letter keyboard:

Tap 123 but don't let go.
When the number keyboard comes up, slide to the number you want.
Lift your finger off the screen. The number will be entered and you'll automatically return to the letter keyboard.

HUGE timesaver, and it also works for punctuation.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you know about the hold/drag/release features in iOS? To get a number from the letter keyboard:

Tap 123 but don't let go.
When the number keyboard comes up, slide to the number you want.
Lift your finger off the screen. The number will be entered and you'll automatically return to the letter keyboard.

HUGE timesaver, and it also works for punctuation.

I, for one, did not know about this. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paleh0rse

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
They have a very controlled system with updates to the OS. The keyboard is a core function of the OS. Apple builds it so that the keyboard, autocorrect, and all functions of this type work together. Allowing the keyboard to be modified or replaced would damage multiple systems and detract from the easy iPhone experience.
Wow.. seriously? lol...

/koolaid

rockerchick

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I've used those keyboards and I like them to a point. I've changed and customized them to fit my needs and one even said that I typed 30% faster. Because the keys were slightly different on an android I always felt like I typed slower than when I used the iPhone. I'm a huge texter so whatever gets my words out faster I'm all for it. However I don't seen how Apple would do this without buying up one of those companies and allowing the option as an integration with iOS.

Totally agree. I used Androids for 2 years and not the cheap ones either. They were flagship phones of their times. The more I customized the more lag my phone had and the more buggy it became. I know iOS is simple and boring to some and at times there are certain tweaks I wish I could make but not at the expense of my experience when using my phone. The iPhone has been very stable, I cannot say the same about my experience and the experiences of many of my friends on expensive android devices. I recommended many of their devices and 5 out of 7 have had problems with lag and forced closed and consistent not syncing with Google services. I think that the fact that there are three things going on UI of the Hardware, and Android OS + third party tweaks = probable bugs, lagtime and lack of stability. I'm happy as a lark with my "closed down" OS because it just freaking works, and I don't have to be frustrated that my Smartphone is not doing the simple things that it should do. IT JUST WORKS!

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Could not have said it any better

LIKED

1776_1865_RIP

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Put me down as another one missing Swiftkey.

Sadly there are still a few things i miss from Android even with a jailbroken phone mostly the ability to easily store, find and use files between apps.

ETA - even with it's downside I prefer iOS to android based primarily on the quality and selection of apps.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Well clearly this isn't for you, as you cannot see outside of the walled garden that apple provides. Who said you need multiple keyboards anyway? They could integrate this into the stock keyboard. But like anything else if you don't like it, you could turn it off( the swiftkey like features) I am amazed that people are so against something that for many could make the phone better.

Alexan81

Banned
Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Well clearly this isn't for you, as you cannot see outside of the walled garden that apple provides. Who said you need multiple keyboards anyway? They could integrate this into the stock keyboard. But like anything else if you don't like it, you could turn it off( the swiftkey like features) I am amazed that people are so against something that for many could make the phone better.

Exactly

I coulnt have said it any better

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So,
I have no pony in this race.

This thread is pissing me off.

There is no point to it.

It's like people he forgotten the singular ideal goal behind Steve jobs' iPhone : IT JUST WORKS

Android and apple are not the same. Neither is superior, neither is inferior.

STFU about your keyboard.
You don't like the simplicity of apple get a droid.
You don't like tinkering with a million things to get a comfortable setup, get an iPhone

yet you took the time on a thread that "pisses you off" to read and post a comment? So because people asked about a question you got all butt hurt about it? The addition of the keyboard like swype would do nothing to take away from "it just works" otherwise known as even idiots can use it. Get off your high horse. And this is coming from someone with an iphone and ipad mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen