iPhone 5's awful battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

izo.sak

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have recently bought the iphone 5, and awful is a gentle word to describe its battery life. I've used it only one hour for playing a game called the room and it's been 1.5 hours on standby and it's already 65%!!!

I'm also seeing some speed problems with this game - when i go for multitasking sometimes it takes more than one second until it does the action, and maybe it sounds silly but multitasking should come up immediately!
It's unbelievable and so disappointing from apple...
Do you know why is it happening and what should I do about it?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Well gaming is usually a big battery suck but if only on 1.5 hour standby by that's not good at all. The longest mine has been on standby at 100% mind you is seven hours before it would drop to 99%. I would get it replaced sounds like a defective battery.

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
OP -Return it and exchange it. Not normal. iPhone 5 has some of the best battery life short of a Razr MAXX

Smurfy71

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I thought the same at first, but has improved greatly since day 1. I am now getting close to a full day.
Make sure if you are using LTE that it works properly in your area, if not it will quickly drain your battery. I work in a area of my city where LTE is advertised but reception is poor, so I leave it on 3G, this made a huge difference.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had great battery life...and my "multitasking" bar comes up nearly instantaneously. There are certainly some games that are resource hogs and will detrimentally effect your battery life, so having such little detail from you as to the exact environment where you're having bad battery performance, it's quite difficult to instruct you on what to do...i can only go by what I've experienced so far, and it doesn't reflect your issues.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone 5 battery life has been awesome since I got it and keeps getting better. I agree with returning yours and trying another one out...

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1355752757.848275.jpg

mac_addict

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone 5 battery life has been awesome since I got it and keeps getting better. I agree with returning yours and trying another one out...

View attachment 24196

I agree mine only seems to get better.
ry7a9yza.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

vrs626

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have recently bought the iphone 5, and awful is a gentle word to describe its battery life. I've used it only one hour for playing a game called the room and it's been 1.5 hours on standby and it's already 65%!!!

I'm also seeing some speed problems with this game - when i go for multitasking sometimes it takes more than one second until it does the action, and maybe it sounds silly but multitasking should come up immediately!

Are you on wifi or using it mostly over cellular (ie 3G or LTE)? Battery life is solid if you're on wifi but awful when on cellular.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Playing a game for an hour will take you down to 65% if you start at 100%
Sounds quite normal to me.

izo.sak

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've had great battery life...and my "multitasking" bar comes up nearly instantaneously. There are certainly some games that are resource hogs and will detrimentally effect your battery life, so having such little detail from you as to the exact environment where you're having bad battery performance, it's quite difficult to instruct you on what to do...i can only go by what I've experienced so far, and it doesn't reflect your issues.

well first of all, when I first got it I didn't charge it for a while because I didn't know I should do so and everyone tells me this is why the battery acts this way... and i don't have LTE in my country. but any way i'll give you an example - yesterday i used it only for one hour and i didn't play any games or something that drains the battery and it went to under 65% (i checked in settings how much time have passed). according to this situation and others the battery drains out in about 3-4 hours only with surfing the web and playing music. and i always close all applications.

boldBud

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you on wifi or using it mostly over cellular (ie 3G or LTE)? Battery life is solid if you're on wifi but awful when on cellular.

This. The battery is pretty solid if you're on Wi-FI, but when you're using 3G or LTE it's average to above average. I don't expect amazing battery life because it's a pretty small battery to begin with. On 3G/LTE I get between 5.5-7 hours of usage and 18 hours on standby. On Wi-FI I get between 8-10 hours. Yesterday my phone was at 11% remaining with 8 hours and 46 minutes of usage and 17 hours standby. Most of that was Wi-Fi. Some music and gaming in there.

DeeMat

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a Droid RAZR that had me plugin the charger most of the day, the iPhone battery is a welcomed improvement. On RAZR, I would be at 50% by noon (6 hours into the day) while in iPhone, I am at 57% 14+ hours into the day, all on 4G LTE area.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Playing a game for an hour will take you down to 65% if you start at 100%
Sounds quite normal to me.

Depends on the game I guess. I've played pacman and Angry Birds on my iPhone 5 for an hour and only had the battery drain down to 95-90%.

Sent from my LTE iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
well first of all, when I first got it I didn't charge it for a while because I didn't know I should do so and everyone tells me this is why the battery acts this way... and i don't have LTE in my country. but any way i'll give you an example - yesterday i used it only for one hour and i didn't play any games or something that drains the battery and it went to under 65% (i checked in settings how much time have passed). according to this situation and others the battery drains out in about 3-4 hours only with surfing the web and playing music. and i always close all applications.

If you're constantly closing out apps I would say that might be one reason your battery life is suffering. It might not be the direct cause and a lot of people will tell you that you should close them out if you want. However if you're trying to diagnose an issue you've got to try changing your regular routine and see if it has any affect. I've had battery issues because I'm running the beta iOS 6.1 so here is what I would tell you to try and see if your battery life gets better.

Backup your iPhone through iCloud
Hook up to iTunes and then go through each tab (music, podcast, tones, photos, etc.) except apps don't touch the apps
Each tab uncheck Sync.... (this will remove all the media from the device) once you've unchecked them all apply and do a sync
Then right click your device and choose transfer purchases
Reboot the device
Hook up to iTunes and click restore this will reload the OS
When it finishes and asks to "setup as new or restore from backup" in iTunes unplug the phone(if you did an iCloud backup)
On the phone go thorugh all the settings and login to your Apple ID and choose to restore from iCloud backup choose the last backup
Let the restore complete then reboot the device
All the media will now be back on the phone because it was restored through the iCloud backup
If you want to sync the media using iTunes then follow these steps if not then skip the following
Hook up to iTunes and again uncheck all the sync options for media except apps,do a sync
Reboot the device then hook up to iTunes and check the sync options to put the media back onto the device

Use your phone all day and when it gets low or when you're going to sleep close all the applications and plug it in. After it's plugged in power it off and let it charge until you wake up or whatever. Then use it and see if the batter life is any better.

I used to religously close out my apps until I found that my battery life sucked. Then I started to just let the OS manage the apps and the battery life got a lot better. So now what I do is if there is an app I wont use after I'm done like a FollowFriday Generator, photo app I'll kill it. If an app is misbehaving I'll close it out or if it's a huge memory hog like Mobile Safari or Facebook I'll kill it. Otherwise I leave the apps and let the OS manage them.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
If you're constantly closing out apps I would say that might be one reason your battery life is suffering. It might not be the direct cause and a lot of people will tell you that you should close them out if you want. However if you're trying to diagnose an issue you've got to try changing your regular routine and see if it has any affect. I've had battery issues because I'm running the beta iOS 6.1 so here is what I would tell you to try and see if your battery life gets better.

Backup your iPhone through iCloud
Hook up to iTunes and then go through each tab (music, podcast, tones, photos, etc.) except apps don't touch the apps
Each tab uncheck Sync.... (this will remove all the media from the device) once you've unchecked them all apply and do a sync
Then right click your device and choose transfer purchases
Reboot the device
Hook up to iTunes and click restore this will reload the OS
When it finishes and asks to "setup as new or restore from backup" in iTunes unplug the phone(if you did an iCloud backup)
On the phone go thorugh all the settings and login to your Apple ID and choose to restore from iCloud backup choose the last backup
Let the restore complete then reboot the device
All the media will now be back on the phone because it was restored through the iCloud backup
If you want to sync the media using iTunes then follow these steps if not then skip the following
Hook up to iTunes and again uncheck all the sync options for media except apps,do a sync
Reboot the device then hook up to iTunes and check the sync options to put the media back onto the device

Use your phone all day and when it gets low or when you're going to sleep close all the applications and plug it in. After it's plugged in power it off and let it charge until you wake up or whatever. Then use it and see if the batter life is any better.

I used to religously close out my apps until I found that my battery life sucked. Then I started to just let the OS manage the apps and the battery life got a lot better. So now what I do is if there is an app I wont use after I'm done like a FollowFriday Generator, photo app I'll kill it. If an app is misbehaving I'll close it out or if it's a huge memory hog like Mobile Safari or Facebook I'll kill it. Otherwise I leave the apps and let the OS manage them.

Ate you saying always killing apps in the background kills your battery?
I always close each app I use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234