iPhone 5's awful battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

izo.sak

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
If you're constantly closing out apps I would say that might be one reason your battery life is suffering. It might not be the direct cause and a lot of people will tell you that you should close them out if you want. However if you're trying to diagnose an issue you've got to try changing your regular routine and see if it has any affect. I've had battery issues because I'm running the beta iOS 6.1 so here is what I would tell you to try and see if your battery life gets better.

Backup your iPhone through iCloud
Hook up to iTunes and then go through each tab (music, podcast, tones, photos, etc.) except apps don't touch the apps
Each tab uncheck Sync.... (this will remove all the media from the device) once you've unchecked them all apply and do a sync
Then right click your device and choose transfer purchases
Reboot the device
Hook up to iTunes and click restore this will reload the OS
When it finishes and asks to "setup as new or restore from backup" in iTunes unplug the phone(if you did an iCloud backup)
On the phone go thorugh all the settings and login to your Apple ID and choose to restore from iCloud backup choose the last backup
Let the restore complete then reboot the device
All the media will now be back on the phone because it was restored through the iCloud backup
If you want to sync the media using iTunes then follow these steps if not then skip the following
Hook up to iTunes and again uncheck all the sync options for media except apps,do a sync
Reboot the device then hook up to iTunes and check the sync options to put the media back onto the device

Use your phone all day and when it gets low or when you're going to sleep close all the applications and plug it in. After it's plugged in power it off and let it charge until you wake up or whatever. Then use it and see if the batter life is any better.

I used to religously close out my apps until I found that my battery life sucked. Then I started to just let the OS manage the apps and the battery life got a lot better. So now what I do is if there is an app I wont use after I'm done like a FollowFriday Generator, photo app I'll kill it. If an app is misbehaving I'll close it out or if it's a huge memory hog like Mobile Safari or Facebook I'll kill it. Otherwise I leave the apps and let the OS manage them.

I can't believe it... I did everything you told me and it just worked!!! now when I use my iphone it drains by only 10% within an hour... thank you so much!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Ate you saying always killing apps in the background kills your battery?
I always close each app I use

I'm not saying it kills battery I'm saying in my experience the battery life decreased when I killed my apps consistently. The OS is optomized to manage the apps and perhaps it is more efficient at it than when it's done manually. If you want to kill them manually do so it's not my device. However it's not going to kill you to leave the apps and see if your battery life gets better or remains the same.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying it kills battery I'm saying in my experience the battery life decreased when I killed my apps consistently. The OS is optomized to manage the apps and perhaps it is more efficient at it than when it's done manually. If you want to kill them manually do so it's not my device. However it's not going to kill you to leave the apps and see if your battery life gets better or remains the same.

Oh. Okay.
Ill try it and see what happens.
But I seriously doubt my battery will improve.

epicness4G

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm so thankful I've gotten amazing battery life... Better than my 4S and 4. Just with tweaking some settings such as push and making sure the diagnostics and some location settings that apple uses are turned off I get a whole day of battery and when I get home I still have 30%. I browse a lot and always have about 75% brightness and I talk a lot to clients and conference calls and I get amazing battery life.

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everyone here. My battery life has been remarkable. I am always on my phone. I can get through a day ending on 70% or so. Make sure you hard close apps too. This is a huge deal.

My wife's friend was saying that her iPhone 5 battery goes down a lot. She asked her if she hard closed her apps and when she showed her, she had almost every app open. The wife closed them and she says she has seen her battery life improve.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Dwood1970

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
If you're constantly closing out apps I would say that might be one reason your battery life is suffering. It might not be the direct cause and a lot of people will tell you that you should close them out if you want. However if you're trying to diagnose an issue you've got to try changing your regular routine and see if it has any affect. I've had battery issues because I'm running the beta iOS 6.1 so here is what I would tell you to try and see if your battery life gets better.

Backup your iPhone through iCloud
Hook up to iTunes and then go through each tab (music, podcast, tones, photos, etc.) except apps don't touch the apps
Each tab uncheck Sync.... (this will remove all the media from the device) once you've unchecked them all apply and do a sync
Then right click your device and choose transfer purchases
Reboot the device
Hook up to iTunes and click restore this will reload the OS
When it finishes and asks to "setup as new or restore from backup" in iTunes unplug the phone(if you did an iCloud backup)
On the phone go thorugh all the settings and login to your Apple ID and choose to restore from iCloud backup choose the last backup
Let the restore complete then reboot the device
All the media will now be back on the phone because it was restored through the iCloud backup
If you want to sync the media using iTunes then follow these steps if not then skip the following
Hook up to iTunes and again uncheck all the sync options for media except apps,do a sync
Reboot the device then hook up to iTunes and check the sync options to put the media back onto the device

Use your phone all day and when it gets low or when you're going to sleep close all the applications and plug it in. After it's plugged in power it off and let it charge until you wake up or whatever. Then use it and see if the batter life is any better.

I used to religously close out my apps until I found that my battery life sucked. Then I started to just let the OS manage the apps and the battery life got a lot better. So now what I do is if there is an app I wont use after I'm done like a FollowFriday Generator, photo app I'll kill it. If an app is misbehaving I'll close it out or if it's a huge memory hog like Mobile Safari or Facebook I'll kill it. Otherwise I leave the apps and let the OS manage them.

So I did this yesterday and so far it is making a huge difference in my battery life. I'm at 96% after being on the phone for about 30 minutes, normally I would be at about 85%. Thanks for the insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR