My iPhone 5 has a loose home button?

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
So on my iPhone my home button feels loose. It almost feels like the adhesive is letting go if the phone is cold or has been sitting a while, so when I go to hit it there's a 'double click' when it catches the adhesive. It sounds like there's grit or something as well.

I should note that when I got the phone the home button was sunk a bit below the glass and not flush at the edges, which may have been an early warning.

Anyone else experience this?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Re: Loose home button?

Have a Apple store near? If so, go to the Genius Bar. That's doesn't sound normal.

IAmAuthority

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

When I bought my iPhone 5 my home button was slightly loose. Ironically I compared it to my roommates and his was the same exact way. He bought his at an AT&T store, mine was purchased through Apple.

I have not replaced mine and neither has he. Both phones work normally and there are no issues what-so-ever.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Loose home button?

Loose may not be the right word. It feels as though the button is not glued on all the way, so when I press down it reconnects and feels like a double click.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Loose home button?

Yup. If the issue is as bad as the OP makes it sound, then, a different store.
Can't believe they said it's normal.

Funny part is that I played with four iPhones, an iPad, and an iPod touch and NONE had a similar feel.

He noted it in the phones service history in case I go back, so I'll just wait a bit and go back. I get that it's one of those issues that is hard to recreate, but the home button is a part that would take them 2 minutes to replace. I don't even want a new phone. If they replaced the home button assembly I'm positive it would fix the problem.

Last edited:

McMurk

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

I have the same problem with my home button. After letting my iphone 5 sit for a little while it seems like the home button catches something or makes a gritty clicking noise when pushing it. I noticed this a few days ago and I'm debating on whether I should go to the apple store as to it is 30 min away from my house. Did you have any luck going to the apple store for your home button? After pressing the button after it has sat for some time it seems to go back to normal and because of that in afraid the apple people will say there's no problem because its usually only the first 5 or so clicks that you can tell something's wrong. I would say the best words to describe the problem is a gritty almost double clicking sound when the home button is pressed after sitting and especially if its cold. Any replies would be appreciated thanks!

Bigwoodque

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I had this same issue recently however it was after I dropped it on its back. I took it to the apple store and they replaced it. I would recommend comparing to one of the display models to show the difference.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Loose home button?

I have the same problem with my home button. After letting my iphone 5 sit for a little while it seems like the home button catches something or makes a gritty clicking noise when pushing it. I noticed this a few days ago and I'm debating on whether I should go to the apple store as to it is 30 min away from my house. Did you have any luck going to the apple store for your home button? After pressing the button after it has sat for some time it seems to go back to normal and because of that in afraid the apple people will say there's no problem because its usually only the first 5 or so clicks that you can tell something's wrong. I would say the best words to describe the problem is a gritty almost double clicking sound when the home button is pressed after sitting and especially if its cold. Any replies would be appreciated thanks!

That is EXACTLY the issue. I have also noticed that it doesn't do it when the phone is in my pocket and warm. (Which makes me think its an adhesive issue)

It hasn't been bothering me too much, but that's mainly because I've been busy at work and not on my phone too much.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Loose home button?

I had this same issue recently however it was after I dropped it on its back. I took it to the apple store and they replaced it. I would recommend comparing to one of the display models to show the difference.

Tried that. The 'genius' swore they were all the same. And it's odd because the iPad and iPod touch I have have really firm and nicely clicky home buttons. The best way to describe my 5s is mushy.

I also remembered that the genius tried to tell me that I would think it felt weird because of the screen protector, which created a lip. This despite me saying that it had a pronounced 1 mm lip from the glass to edge of the button when I got it. (Which is why I think it's just a defective device)

nikolas1990

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site

I have the same issue. my home button is very loose and i can feel it clicking when i put a little pressure on the home button. i went to apple today and firstly the guy agreed that it was loose. so he went to the back and tightened the screws. then he said all fixed. it wasnt fixed at all and i demanded they fixed the problem. the guy then asked another apple employee to come over and this new guy said 'feels normals' (it obviously didnt) after 20 minutes of them telling me it is normal for an iphone to do this i demanded a home button repair. so they took my iphone and only replaced the flex and not the actually home button and guess what people.... its still as loose as it was before. apple then said oh sorry we think its normal. im so pissed off with apple. awful customer service! to add insult to injury my iphone 5 is only 4 weeks old and i paid ?529 for it.... any ideas guys?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I have the same issue. my home button is very loose and i can feel it clicking when i put a little pressure on the home button. i went to apple today and firstly the guy agreed that it was loose. so he went to the back and tightened the screws. then he said all fixed. it wasnt fixed at all and i demanded they fixed the problem. the guy then asked another apple employee to come over and this new guy said 'feels normals' (it obviously didnt) after 20 minutes of them telling me it is normal for an iphone to do this i demanded a home button repair. so they took my iphone and only replaced the flex and not the actually home button and guess what people.... its still as loose as it was before. apple then said oh sorry we think its normal. im so pissed off with apple. awful customer service! to add insult to injury my iphone 5 is only 4 weeks old and i paid ?529 for it.... any ideas guys?

Have you tested the home button of your iPhone 5 with that of another iPhone 5? If not and the next time you go to the Apple Store, have an employee bring you out a new iPhone 5 and have him or her compare yours with it and if the one they bring out is to your liking, tell them you want yours to be as stiff as it.

nikolas1990

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site

I took them over to the display models and not a single one was loose! Then I said that's what mine felt like when I got it, but in the 4 weeks I've had the phone it's become loose. They simply refuse to do anything while the home button is fully functional. Later that night I got an email about my repair and in the comments it stated that both apple employees could not see what the customer was going on about. (Even though they admitted it wasnt right and one said it feels like the home button is going to fall off) The cheek! These people call themselves iphone experts? They haven't got a clue how the flipping phone works! Useless!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

I would go back and request to speak with a manager, after all it has a warranty and that is what a warranty is for. You should not have to wait for it to fully fail before they fix it, then you are stuck waiting to get the replacement and if your job requires a smartphone who can afford that.

nikolas1990

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site

Well I gave the original appointment a bad review through an email they sent me. The store manager rang me up today apologising and he's made me another appointment for Tuesday. He said they will replace the flex cable and the actual home button itself (which they should have done in the first place) he was really nice and I'm glad I'm dealing with the manager now and not those useless muppets that call themselves geniuses. I will report back on Tuesday and let you know the outcome.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well I gave the original appointment a bad review through an email they sent me. The store manager rang me up today apologising and he's made me another appointment for Tuesday. He said they will replace the flex cable and the actual home button itself (which they should have done in the first place) he was really nice and I'm glad I'm dealing with the manager now and not those useless muppets that call themselves geniuses. I will report back on Tuesday and let you know the outcome.

Now that is the Apple customer service we've come to know and appreciate. Thank you for the update and indeed let us know how it turns out for you. Take care ...:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal