"Notification" lamp on 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It would be interesting if instead if a physical light, there were an option that used just a few pixels on the display to alert you, which you could then tap for a fuller notification.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Is there an official, documented reason for Apple leaving it out?

Who needs a documented reason when there is no notification LED. It's not there - they had to decide not to do it. Why? I don't care. It's not there. And all the forum whining in the world will not make one magically appear. If you think the next iteration of the iPhone should have a blinky-light, talk to Johnny Ive.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hurray for blinky lights. These are a wonderful feature on some other non iphones. With various BB apps in particular you can actually configure the colour of the LED for certain people/conditions. You can tell from across the room if a call/message/text is from your wife OR one of your kids OR a buddy OR from work (and ignore it if you desire). You can disable it if you do not like it. I'm still amazed that it is not available on an iphone. The physical hardware cost must be pennies or a fraction thereof. It is an outrageously useful feature.

You can accomplish the same thing today with alerts and ring tones... identify the type of alert and the contact who is senting the text/email/calling.

And you say "you can disable it if you do not like it"... I would argue that Apple has taken care fo that one for you - by not implementing it.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
So how is this different/better than being able to set different ringtones, email notifications sounds, etc (other than the obvious fact that one is light and the other sound)?.

Mostly an LED gives real-time notice of something waiting for you. When I walk back into my office for example, I just need to glance at my (BlackBerry) phone on my desk to know if something is waiting for me. It literally takes a half second to know if something's up. Without the LED, I'd have to pick up the phone and check for notifications, or wait for an alert sound to beep again.

And while sounds are great, often in an office environment they need to be muted as much as possible, so an LED is less intrusive to others.

miah84

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
The led notification was a good feature on my blackberry... Actually it was the only good feature. I could take it or leave it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Is there something I'm missing on my new phone. I want to be alerted with my notification lamp (if there is one) when I receive new messages. In settings I move the Notification command to on. Any thoughts???

To cut a path through the bashing, there is no LED, but there ARE notifications: visual, audible, and vibrational. You have more notification options than any LED could provide:
Badges that appear on the app icon
Banners that flash at the top of screen or sit mid screen until you act on them. (You can set banners on lock screen, home screen or both - you choose)
Sounds - choose any sound from the menu - different sounds for different functions if you wish.
Vibration - on or off.

To SEE when something comes in, set 'BADGES" to ON. You will see a little red bubble that indicates something new has landed. You will see a number (count of new arrivals) when you have received more than one. Badges will appear on specific apps, wherever they sit: in dock, on home screen, on other screens. Put the apps you care about on home screen so you can see badges all in one place.

To see from lock screen, read up on BANNERS to decide what you want to see, for how long, and where.

You can also pull down the notification bar (swipe from top of any screen except lock screen). You decide what shows there, it will all appear in a nice organized list - you can clear by category whenever you want.

In short, there are dozens of permutations for this - more than a single LED ever could do. Put link to imore.com/tips/ on your homescreen for iPhone 101.

Good luck!

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
My Blackberry's from back in the day, as well as my last Android phone all had Notification LED's on them. I love it. You can check for messages, etc with a quick glance, rather than having to pick your phone up and turn on the screen.

Yes I know the iPhone doesn't, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't care if there was a notification light if Apple did what RIM does and
gave the ability to turn it off. That way both parties are happy.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
To be fair you were the one who started getting aggressive. There's no point trying to play the victim now

Feel free to add me to your forum ignore list... both of your usernames are now on mine. Have a pleasant evening, and a wonderful forum life. I shan't ever see your missives, or dismissives such as this ever again.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
He has his opinion... I have mine. You don't like mine... so you call me a name. How nice of you.

You are completely entitled to have your own opinion, as is he. That doesn't mean you have to trash talk his opinion like yours is superior. It's not what you say that's the issue, it's HOW. Read your replies from another persons perspective.. You come off as arrogant.

Terrigno

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
You are completely entitled to have your own opinion, as is he. That doesn't mean you have to trash talk his opinion like yours is superior. It's not what you say that's the issue, it's HOW. Read your replies from another persons perspective.. You come off as arrogant.

Good post. Very well said.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Just to put it out there, his initial response that you guys are referring to as "arrogant" was in response to a post where an obvious Blackberry fan inferred that someone's opinion was inaccurate some how, specifically telling that person that his opinion of an "annoying LED notification light" was "wrong" (though how someone could deduce that another person's opinion is more wrong or right than their own is a little confusing to say the least.) You can't single out people as being "arrogant" if you're not going to go after the genesis of the issue...just saying.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
At last count we had 1,365,012 threads debating the relative merit of having a blinky light. Half of them are closed due to hostility. This one is being closed before we get there.

Thanks and have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR