I had the original Droid from launch date (loved it) and then a Thunderbolt(there has never been such a piece of crap), so I had been counting the days til my upgrade for over a year. I already had an iPod Touch and iPad, so knew what I was doing. Got my 5 a week ago, and it is everything it was said to be, and what I had hoped.

Although it was nice to have so many options on Android, and widgets, honestly, after the first few months, I didn't do any customizing. The only widget I used, and do miss, was Beautiful Weather. I also hated the way they sporadically update, and then you never know if YOUR phone will get it, and the fact there is a new "latest and greatest" about every two weeks. Who can keep up with that?

With Apple, you know there is only one phone released every year (approximately), so even skipping a year keeps your phone very current. The build quality and beauty are beyond anything Android has.

I still have a Kindle Fire, so will stay in touch with Android. But I doubt I will ever use their phones again.
    11-24-2012 07:35 PM
    I went on black Friday to purchase an iPhone 5 but after talking with a rep at the apple store I walked away with nothing.
    I was quiet disappointed that the IPhone can not do data and voice at the same time on Verizon's network the apple rep said it was Verizon who don't allow it on the IPhone, so I went to Verizon spoke to a rep there and he said that it's apple who don't have the capability on cdma networks so I'm confused. Do any of you here know the real truth on why the IPhone is not capable of voice and data (web browsing) at the same time? That's a really must have feature now for me as I have a business I have look up prices for my customers while on the phone speaking with them?

Sent from my HTC Resound using Tapatalk 2
    11-25-2012 09:18 AM
    1. No phone on CDMA 3G can do voice and data at the same time.

2. Any phone on GSM for 3G can do voice and data at the same time although only at 3G speeds not LTE.

3. No carriers in the US can do both voice and data over LTE at the same time (so called VoLTE) so regardless of whether you're on AT&T, Verizon or Sprint, when you're on LTE and you get a phone call, your data service drops to 3G. So on Verizon and Sprint that means you drop to CDMA which does not support voice and data. (See #1). On AT&T you drop to regular GSM so you do get voice and data. (See #2).

4. Some OEMs using Android (but this has nothing to do with the OS) on Verizon, chose to either include an extra baseband/cellular chip and/or provide an extra antennae that allows it to use this extra chip/antennae for voice when you are using the main chip for LTE data. My guess is that Apple didn't include the extra antennae/chip due to space or battery concerns.

Anyway both Verizon and Apple are correct that iPhone 5's not having simultaneous voice and data on the Verizon network is the others' fault. From Verizon's perspective it is Apple's fault that they did not include the work around that some other OEM's did. From Apple's perspective it is Verizon's fault that their network doesn't support it. In a year or so, carriers should start implementing VoLTE in which case they would all support voice and data at the same time as long as you were on LTE. 3G CDMA would still have that restriction.

Also next time please search the forums before asking. I've answered this same question before.
    DeeMat likes this.
    11-25-2012 10:15 AM
    1. No phone on CDMA 3G can do voice and data at the same time.

2. Any phone on GSM for 3G can do voice and data at the same time although only at 3G speeds not LTE.

3. No carriers in the US can do both voice and data over LTE at the same time (so called VoLTE) so regardless of whether you're on AT&T, Verizon or Sprint, when you're on LTE and you get a phone call, your data service drops to 3G. So on Verizon and Sprint that means you drop to CDMA which does not support voice and data. (See #1). On AT&T you drop to regular GSM so you do get voice and data. (See #2).

4. Some OEMs using Android (but this has nothing to do with the OS) on Verizon, chose to either include an extra baseband/cellular chip and/or provide an extra antennae that allows it to use this extra chip/antennae for voice when you are using the main chip for LTE data. My guess is that Apple didn't include the extra antennae/chip due to space or battery concerns.

Anyway both Verizon and Apple are correct that iPhone 5's not having simultaneous voice and data on the Verizon network is the others' fault. From Verizon's perspective it is Apple's fault that they did not include the work around that some other OEM's did. From Apple's perspective it is Verizon's fault that their network doesn't support it. In a year or so, carriers should start implementing VoLTE in which case they would all support voice and data at the same time as long as you were on LTE. 3G CDMA would still have that restriction.

Also next time please search the forums before asking. I've answered this same question before.
    Thank you for your reply and I apologize for not using a search function as I honestly didn't know one was available using tapatalk. I would assume apple didn't add an extra chip or antenna in the iPhone 5 for Verizon's network. Maybe in the future they will?
    I can remember many yrs back that was one of at&t big selling points was the ability to talk on the phone and surf the internet at the same time. I'm also thinking the advertisements were with using the iPhone 3 I could be Wong on the phone use though.

11-25-2012 11:51 AM
    Thank you for your reply and I apologize for not using a search function as I honestly didn't know one was available using tapatalk. I would assume apple didn't add an extra chip or antenna in the iPhone 5 for Verizon's network. Maybe in the future they will?
    I can remember many yrs back that was one of at&t big selling points was the ability to talk on the phone and surf the internet at the same time. I'm also thinking the advertisements were with using the iPhone 3 I could be Wong on the phone use though.

The AT&T iPhone has always been able to do both because GSM supports it. The Verizon iPhone 4 and 4S (and Sprint) on CDMA have never been able to so both.

No carrier can do both on LTE (AT&T drops to GSM to do both on an LTE phone). Verizon drops to CDMA which does not do both. The solution isn't for Apple to put the extra chip and/or antenna in but for all the carriers to implement VoLTE (voice over LTE).
    11-25-2012 11:59 AM
    The AT&T iPhone has always been able to do both because GSM supports it. The Verizon iPhone 4 and 4S (and Sprint) on CDMA have never been able to so both.

No carrier can do both on LTE (AT&T drops to GSM to do both on an LTE phone). Verizon drops to CDMA which does not do both. The solution isn't for Apple to put the extra chip and/or antenna in but for all the carriers to implement VoLTE (voice over LTE).
    I'm sorry but you're wrong on my rezound while I'm in an LTE network on Verizon I can talk on the phone and browse the internet at the same time. Now on 3G it won't but yes it can on 4G LTE that's why I question the apple rep if I could do it with the new iPhone since it is now LTE capable.

11-25-2012 01:31 PM
    I'm sorry but you're wrong on my rezound while I'm in an LTE network on Verizon I can talk on the phone and browse the internet at the same time. Now on 3G it won't but yes it can on 4G LTE that's why I question the apple rep if I could do it with the new iPhone since it is now LTE capable.

From what I remember the Rezound and some other phones on Verizon have 2 chips; 1 for LTE and another for CMDA, which allows them to do Data and Voice simultaneously. The iPhone only has 1 chip which is why it can only do Data and Voice on WiFi.
    11-25-2012 01:35 PM

Nope. Not wrong. Read the entire thread where I explained it in detail. Verizon is not doing simultaneous voice and data on LTE. No carriers have deployed VoLTE yet.
    11-25-2012 03:33 PM
    From what I remember the Rezound and some other phones on Verizon have 2 chips; 1 for LTE and another for CMDA, which allows them to do Data and Voice simultaneously. The iPhone only has 1 chip which is why it can only do Data and Voice on WiFi.
    Thank you and you are correct as my rezound will allow me to do both. I'm not sure what its called and don't care I just know I can talk on the phone and access the internet at the same time. I'm willing to provide my number and someone tell me a website to go to while we are on the phone and I'll read to you word for word to prove this.

11-25-2012 05:34 PM
    I've not read all the responses. But I was certain that Verizon didn't support voice and data OVER LTE. I was under the impression that if you're in an LTE area and thus on a call and started to use data it would automatically switch to 3G...
    11-25-2012 06:37 PM
    I've not read all the responses. But I was certain that Verizon didn't support voice and data OVER LTE. I was under the impression that if you're in an LTE area and thus on a call and started to use data it would automatically switch to 3G...
    LTE on Verizon does on android but not on iphone 5 .. Not even on 3G

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    anon(153966) likes this.
    11-25-2012 06:44 PM
    No while on a call (I've owned 3 LTE android phones on VZW) the data speeds are LTE the voice part is carried over 1xRTT so both parties are correct until VoLTE is implemented there will be a need for two different chips.

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    anon(153966) likes this.
    11-25-2012 07:40 PM
    No carriers support simultaneous voice and data over LTE. So in an LTE area if you are surfing and get a phone call, you are dropped to 3G (all carriers). However only 3G GSM supports simultaneous voice and data. 3G CDMA does not. So in the iPhone only carriers using 3G GSM (AT&T) have both. On carriers using 3G CDMA (Verizon and Sprint), your data will stop while you are on a call.

Yes, Rezound owner above, some (but not all) LTE phones on Verizon or Sprint that are produced by OEMs (has nothing really to do with the OS but these are probably all Android phones) will "work" allowing you to have LTE data and 3G CDMA voice but only because they chose to include an extra baseband chip and antenna in the phone. This has space and battery implications because it takes more power to power an extra chip. Some Android OEMs chose to make this trade off; Apple did not. Some Android OEMs may not make this trade off so there is no guarantee by getting an Android LTE phone on Verizon that you will have simultaneous voice and data. If they don't include the extra chip and antenna, then it you'll have voice or data just like the iPhone.

If the technical reasons behind why this works doesn't matter to you and you're happy with the Rezound, then that's great. But it is technically incorrect to say that LTE supports simultaneous voice and data.
    11-25-2012 07:56 PM
    LTE on Verizon does on android but not on iphone 5 .. Not even on 3G

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
    See my response above and below. LTE does not do both regardless of carrier because no one has implemented VoLTE.
    11-25-2012 07:59 PM
39 12