After 2 months your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at the Lumia 920 HEAVILY over the last month or so...the phone was really peeking my interest and i was really liking what i was reading. My friend got his on release day, and brought it in for me to mess with for a few hours. The phone has a beautiful screen, and you can tell the camera is a heavy weight amongst inferior competition...but the phone felt so heavy, bulky and Windows 8 OS just isn't for me. I felt like i was having to search all over just for basic functionality...the tile system was cool for about 5min. but then became kind of boring to be honest (and a little annoying because it felt like the apps were having to double load for the tile and then to open it to use).

In the end, when i handed his phone back to him, i picked up my iPhone 5 and couldn't be happier with it. That Lumia 920 was about as close as anything was going to come to competition for me, and it just wasn't up to snuff. I like where it was going, it's certainly on the level more so than ANY other Windows based phone before, but it's got some work to do before it's a front runner.

I had the HTC 8X for less than 24 hours. Beautiful device and all. But once you get past the metro look, which is gorgeous by the way, I was definitely bored of it.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Well after using the galaxy S3 for a total of about 2 weeks I gave up. Android is nice and all but the customization got boring. I totally regretted selling my black iPhone 5 32gb for this phone. Jellybean still lags. I was having a hard time getting good battery life. The typing wasn't as smooth as the iPhone. I felt everyday I was changing something and things went downhill from there. The last 3 days I had horrible battery life. When I found myself digging for apps on google play that would simplify my life the way iOS did...this is when I gave up. I sold the galaxy today...I broke even actually so I didn't lose any money. I bought a new 5 16GB today...this time I got it white and I'm glad I did...having the black and now the white I totally prefer white. For now I'm happy and glad to be back on iPhone 5.

brooklyndon2911

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Well after using the galaxy S3 for a total of about 2 weeks I gave up. Android is nice and all but the customization got boring. I totally regretted selling my black iPhone 5 32gb for this phone. Jellybean still lags. I was having a hard time getting good battery life. The typing wasn't as smooth as the iPhone. I felt everyday I was changing something and things went downhill from there. The last 3 days I had horrible battery life. When I found myself digging for apps on google play that would simplify my life the way iOS did...this is when I gave up. I sold the galaxy today...I broke even actually so I didn't lose any money. I bought a new 5 16GB today...this time I got it white and I'm glad I did...having the black and now the white I totally prefer white. For now I'm happy and glad to be back on iPhone 5.

Agree the white looks a lot better in person.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
On another note, I'm soooo considering ditching Verizon and my iPhone for a Nexus 4 on a T-Mobile monthly 4G plan. I absolutely live the service I'm getting with Verizon, but you can't beat $30 for unlimited text and data with 100 minutes. Unfortunately, the more I think about this as a viable option, the more people want to call me and keep me on the phone for hours at a time, which reminds me that I'd need to use a VoIP service and all that jazz. Not sure how great that would be.

I also considered this cause the Nexus 4 is the first android phone that has a build quality that could rival the iPhone. I've resisted though because it's been so long since I've had an iPhone and I'm loving the 5 so much! The battery life for me kills all of my android devices and the design is so striking and sexy sometimes I just find myself admiring it.

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I also considered this cause the Nexus 4 is the first android phone that has a build quality that could rival the iPhone. I've resisted though because it's been so long since I've had an iPhone and I'm loving the 5 so much! The battery life for me kills all of my android devices and the design is so striking and sexy sometimes I just find myself admiring it.

Build quality may be there, but I think it is the overall flow of the OS that could be holding me back. I hear great things about Jellybean. But I also hear that it still has lag issues. I'm definitely going to try it out for myself, though. I just need Google to actually keep one in stock long enough for me to order it lol. (A 4 to 5 week shipping time frame is as good as out of stock to me lol.)

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site

This is what worries me about wanting to make the switch to a Nexus 4. Every stint I have had with an Android device has been short lived with me spending a max of maybe three weeks with any device. (And this was when my main device was a BlackBerry.)

Just as I was stuck on WinMo for a couple of years, then BlackBerry for a couple of years, I feel as if I may be settled in with iOS as my daily driver for awhile to come. (I only made the complete switch to an iPhone once the 4S was released.)

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Build quality may be there, but I think it is the overall flow of the OS that could be holding me back. I hear great things about Jellybean. But I also hear that it still has lag issues. I'm definitely going to try it out for myself, though. I just need Google to actually keep one in stock long enough for me to order it lol. (A 4 to 5 week shipping time frame is as good as out of stock to me lol.)

I used Android since the transition from Eclair (2.1) to JB and it has come a very long way but unfortunately with all it's bells and whistles the polish is still a ways off compared to iOS but it will get there.

I also checked out the play store today and added one to my cart even though I knew I wouldn't get it. Maybe next years nexus I will give a shot.

There's some things I think apple needs to implement that I miss from android and certain roms such as quick toggles in notification center, pop up for SMS like BiteSMS and the ability to arrange your photos freely within the gallery.

I'm still a huge fan of android and will likely go back to it with next years nexus but for now I'm content with my 5.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprisingly not tired of it yet. The LTE and screen fixed the reasons I left in the first place. Who knows though. I'm not the type to stick with a phone for a long time, so we'll see.

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
For those who are buying Samsung smartphones, be aware that Samsung uses weak radios/antennas on their devices. Both the Galaxy Nexus and the GS3 have had reception problems in areas where the signal was not strong. I have had first hand experience with a GS3 that had this problem. I live in a part of Long Beach where the signal is not strong. Less than half a mile from where i live the signal is fantastic. My house mate bought a GS3. Her phone would drop calls and when you could talk on the phone it was very choppy and you could not hear half of what was said. We had to take it to Verizon 4 times before they agreed to give her another one. This one seems to be good, but I do not know how long this will last. Just go to Android Central and check the many threads on poor reception with Samsung devices. Motorola does not have this problem. My brother has an Atrix 2 and he comes to my house often. He has had zero problems with reception at my house. Stay away from Samsung especially if you live in an area that does not have a strong signal.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
My phone is scratched, bent, the screen is broken and the CPU has become very slow, almost all apps crash.

Just kidding.......I love it and am very happy I upgraded. It is nearly perfect.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
For those who are buying Samsung smartphones, be aware that Samsung uses weak radios/antennas on their devices. Both the Galaxy Nexus and the GS3 have had reception problems in areas where the signal was not strong. I have had first hand experience with a GS3 that had this problem. I live in a part of Long Beach where the signal is not strong. Less than half a mile from where i live the signal is fantastic. My house mate bought a GS3. Her phone would drop calls and when you could talk on the phone it was very choppy and you could not hear half of what was said. We had to take it to Verizon 4 times before they agreed to give her another one. This one seems to be good, but I do not know how long this will last. Just go to Android Central and check the many threads on poor reception with Samsung devices. Motorola does not have this problem. My brother has an Atrix 2 and he comes to my house often. He has had zero problems with reception at my house. Stay away from Samsung especially if you live in an area that does not have a strong signal.

My friend's GSIII gets about the same LTE signal that my iPhone 5 gets (and around the same speeds too)...our building is shielded so 4G barely reaches inside, but LTE is pretty decent. If they do have a bad antenna, hers seems to be performing pretty well all things considered. We bench tested both of them on our laptops tethered and between the two you really couldn't tell much of a difference, and certainly not something that would sway weight to either phone for connectivity purposes or strength. I don't think generalizing all of Samsung's phones as having "weak antennas" is a fair assessment just because you experienced such. My friend also had a 4S and hated it because of the terrible 4G connections she always experienced...mine was always fine, doesn't mean the 4S was built with crap parts, just means she experienced bad connections and i didn't, lol.

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you need to do some search on the subject Sean. Just to be clear I am talking about call quality and using the phone as a phone. I am not talking about 4GLTE:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/904309
Bad reception and dropped calls all day long! Galaxy S3 - Android Forums
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...1-galaxy-s3-signal-issue-verizon-support.html
Poor call quality

I find it hard to believe that all these people that contributed to these threads are wrong and you are right. Sorry dude, i think that your friend is the isolated incident and these people posting show the constant behavior of this phone. It is very well known among Android phones that Samsung has poor radios/antennas. I am not reinventing the wheel.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
My friend's GSIII gets about the same LTE signal that my iPhone 5 gets (and around the same speeds too)...our building is shielded so 4G barely reaches inside, but LTE is pretty decent. If they do have a bad antenna, hers seems to be performing pretty well all things considered. We bench tested both of them on our laptops tethered and between the two you really couldn't tell much of a difference, and certainly not something that would sway weight to either phone for connectivity purposes or strength. I don't think generalizing all of Samsung's phones as having "weak antennas" is a fair assessment just because you experienced such. My friend also had a 4S and hated it because of the terrible 4G connections she always experienced...mine was always fine, doesn't mean the 4S was built with crap parts, just means she experienced bad connections and i didn't, lol.

As someone that has owned a galaxy nexus, galaxy S3 and droid charge, I can tell you that Samsung's RF setups and antenna designs are absolute garbage. They have worse voice reception, worse data reception, and generally worse performance than any of their counterparts in the industry.

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
As someone that has owned a galaxy nexus, galaxy S3 and droid charge, I can tell you that Samsung's RF setups and antenna designs are absolute garbage. They have worse voice reception, worse data reception, and generally worse performance than any of their counterparts in the industry.

I agree also. My GSIII doesn't have very good reception at all. I had the Lumia 822 for a week and had signal in places I didn't know possible. Now back on my GSIII the signal is awful.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree also. My GSIII doesn't have very good reception at all. I had the Lumia 822 for a week and had signal in places I didn't know possible. Now back on my GSIII the signal is awful.

Nokia and Motorola are the best, Samsung is the worst, and HTC and apple are in the middle.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Nice phone. Not groundbreaking but nice. Especially with a new iphone 5S a few months away. It will be interesting to see what that has under the hood.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice