Blocking inappropriate web content

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelink74

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I just bought my 12 year old daughter the IPhone 5 and I was reviewing the restriction options in the settings screen and could not find how I can block the inappropriate sites from being viewed. You fine folks know how I can accomplish this?

Thanks....

"wow! Wasn't expecting the parenting uncalled comments that this thread received. But I am thankful for those who tried to assist me with protecting my children from inadvertently accessing sites that as a parent is try and protect my children from"

Last edited:

anon(2353369)

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I just bought my 12 year old daughter the IPhone 5 and I was reviewing the restriction options in the settings screen and could not find how I can block the inappropriate sites from being viewed. You fine folks know how I can accomplish this?

Thanks....

Explain why would you buy an 12 year old an iPhone. Like really I would never do that if I had kids. I would give them a slide phone something basic so they can text and talk. But an iPhone is way to much for a child.

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Sure you can take the Internet enabled phone back to where you bought it. Otherwise have a look at settings, restrictions, allowed context.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

kevin smith 619

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
The Internet is a great resource for children, offering a wealth of information and experiences. However, it can also expose children to information that might not be appropriate for them.

Content Advisor allows you to control the types of Internet content that can be viewed on your computer. Depending on how you configure it, Content Advisor uses ratings that websites voluntarily provide to block or allow certain content. Because not all websites are rated, unrated websites are automatically blocked (but you can choose to allow them). Once you've adjusted the settings and turn Content Advisor on, it checks websites as you visit them.

To use Content Advisor, you first need to set the supervisor password, and then you can specify the filters and rules you want applied to your children's web use. To change settings, you'll need to log in with the supervisor password before you can make changes. The following procedures describe how to set your supervisor password, and how to make specific changes to control Internet use.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Explain why would you buy an 12 year old an iPhone. Like really I would never do that if I had kids. I would give them a slide phone something basic so they can text and talk. But an iPhone is way to much for a child.

1) Explain why you are qualified to comment on the decision to buy their child an iPhone as you do not have children, therefore have no experience.
2) the OP is looking for suggestions on Internet restriction, so your post has no meaningful input.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

Now that's questioning their parenting ways. That's not for anyone to judge. If you don't agree why even comment in such manner?

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
1) Explain why you are qualified to comment on the decision to buy their child an iPhone as you do not have children, therefore have no experience.

I would like an answer to this too.

Pink, you judged this person when you heard s/he bought the daughter an iPhone 5.
Why should you think you know best for this family?

Quintus

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Content Advisor allows you to control the types of Internet content that can be viewed on your computer. Depending on how you configure it, Content Advisor uses ratings that websites voluntarily provide to block or allow certain content. Because not all websites are rated, unrated websites are automatically blocked (but you can choose to allow them). Once you've adjusted the settings and turn Content Advisor on, it checks websites as you visit them.

To use Content Advisor, you first need to set the supervisor password, and then you can specify the filters and rules you want applied to your children's web use. To change settings, you'll need to log in with the supervisor password before you can make changes. The following procedures describe how to set your supervisor password, and how to make specific changes to control Internet use.

Can't find this application! Can you post a link? My search in the App Store comes up with no results. I'm in Canada.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
While you can't ever actually block content you can monitor it.
There is a third party browser called covenant eyes.
However there is a monthly fee for the service. It depends on how important this actually is for you. I think the device is >$15 a month. You would need to use settings to disable safari and others (maybe you tube also) and also you would have to set parental restrictions so that the child is not installing non age appropriate applications.
On the home front, you can also install covenant eyes on your home computers. If your paying for the service you might as well use it to its full ability.
If you have a wireless router you can also restrict web pages, access times and other settings.

But main question, iPhone only based, disable safari (and anything else you consider inappropriate) set an appropriate parental control rating for installing applications.
That's the only way you can restrict the web. Restriction by removal!

anon(2353369)

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know you can turn off access to Safari completely, but there are no parental restrictions for content Safari displays.

However there are a few third-party browsers that have parental restrictions. So you could completely disable Safari and install one of those browsers. Unfortunately I don't know the names of those apps.

And don't listen to people saying an iPhone is inappropriate for a 12 year old. My oldest has had a laptop since she was 7, now has an iPod Touch and will be getting an iPad mini for Christmas. She's nine. My 5 year old will also be getting an iPad mini. I see no problems getting technology for kids. The way for them to be fluent in it is to get them using it young-with appropriate supervision and restrictions.

I feel bad for you. I'm so shocked of you. Young kids between that age does not know anything about cellphones and laptops. You are unbelievable.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I feel bad for you. I'm so shocked of you. Young kids between that age does not know anything about cellphones and laptops. You are unbelievable.

Pink! Shut your stupid ignorant pie hole!

You have no right to talk to anybody about what they do or do not allow for their children.

anon(2353369)

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Pink! Shut your stupid ignorant pie hole!

You have no right to talk to anybody about what they do or do not allow for their children.

Hey man you need to chill out. Like I said before young kids don't know anything about electronics...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

The unbelievable one here is Y O U.

I've seen some very bright young 'uns. Ones that know more about computers and tech and how to use them than lots of adults I know. I'll cordially invite you to go play in traffic now and refrain from advice. You're ill equipped to provide any that's worthwhile.

anon(2353369)

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
The unbelievable one here is Y O U.

I've seen some very bright young 'uns. Ones that know more about computers and tech and how to use them than lots of adults I know. I'll cordially invite you to go play in traffic now and refrain from advice. You're ill equipped to provide any that's worthwhile.

Oh hush. I had an cellphone when I was 16. Not 5, 6, 7, so forth.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Not sure the OP need to explain anything to you about anything. It?s his cash and his kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox