A month later.... is it worth the $$ to get the iPhone 5 if you have a 4S?

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted some quick opinions from you guys as far as if you think its worth the extra $$ to sell my iPhone 4S and get the iPhone 5?

Im going to end up spending about $400 after I sell my iPhone 4S, to get the 5.

Worth it?

Just looking for some honest feedback.

nmeredith13

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
I actually am doing the same thing. I got my iPhone 5 yesterday, and have put my 4S on craigslist to hopefully sell before my next bill is due to pay for the 5. I've only had the iPhone 5 for a day, and I was a little skeptical in regards to whether it was worth it or not. After a day, I love it. Screen size is great, the colors look so much more vibrant, the processor is so much faster, it is really smooth when switching between apps or snapping a quick photo. I'm glad I made the jump from 4S to the 5. I recommend it.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
If your content with the 4S and aren't sure then stick with what you got. The 5 has a much better screen, battery life management, wifi, cellular and speed. If you're lacking in any of these areas then upgrade.

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If you have at&t, they will unlock your 4S after you upgrade to the 5. That will help with resale value. I sold my sister's iPhone 4 16GB unlocked for $280 on craigslist. Could have gotten $300 perhaps on eBay, but after fees and shipping, that would have came down to $270.
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...viceunlock%2Fclient%2Fen_US%2F&token=urtp_f41

Reason I bring this up is this may help with your decision since it can offset the iPhone 5 cost a little bit more.
0pusX, I see that you are on Verizon so this won't help. But you could get an unlock code from eBay.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you have at&t, they will unlock your 4S after you upgrade to the 5. That will help with resale value. I sold my sister's iPhone 4 16GB unlocked for $280 on craigslist. Could have gotten $300 perhaps on eBay, but after fees and shipping, that would have came down to $270.
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...viceunlock%2Fclient%2Fen_US%2F&token=KpkbgBSi

Reason I bring this up is this may help with your decision since it can offset the iPhone 5 cost a little bit more.
0pusX, I see that you are on Verizon so this won't help. But you could get an unlock code from eBay.

This is only true if your phone is not still under contract...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
might as well - YOLO

129157477066831452.gif

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
SeanHRCC, thanks for bringing that up, forgot to mention that! but if you upgrade to the iPhone 5, they will unlock your old 4 or 4S since its not in use or contract anymore.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
YES. Thinner, lighter, faster. Just a bit disappointed that the anodized aluminum can scratch easily.
This is the first iPhone since the 3G that I have used a protective case. I have just used a back
protection since the iPhone 4.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok here goes:
-Bigger screen which is amazing
-LTE
-if you are grandfathered on AT&T 's unlimited data, you get 5gb before throttling now. With the 4S, it is 3G so they throttle it at 3gb. This is HUGE for me and the lone reason I had to upgrade. All of the rest is just a bonus.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok here goes:
-Bigger screen which is amazing
-LTE
-if you are grandfathered on AT&T 's unlimited data, you get 5gb before throttling now. With the 4S, it is 3G so they throttle it at 3gb. This is HUGE for me and the lone reason I had to upgrade. All of the rest is just a bonus.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

I was told by AT&T when I ordered my iPhone 5 that they throttle after 3GB.
Is this true about throttling after 5GB with LTE?

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I am in an area that does not have any LTE. I do not get throttled at 3gb anymore. The local store reps say it is5gb before throttling but I have hit more than four yet.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Espo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I am currently waiting the shipment of my ip5 but I am going from a 4s to a 5 for a couple reasons. LTE, better battery life, faster all around and a slightly larger screen.

What I'm not looking forward to is changing all my accessories (chargers in my cars, office, around my house, sound docks and cases) other than that its defiantly a good and beneficial upgrade.

By the way even if your not eligible for an upgrade, call customer service and just ask nicely for one, keep calling back if they say no they can't. I got a really nice guy on the phone with AT&T and he hooked me up (after talking with a supervisor). Waived my upgrade fee also. It took me 3 days and about 5 calls until I got the $199-299-399 upgrade prices and I wasn't eligible until May 2013.

Glass of OJ

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
No. The 5's display looks way too saturated IMO. It also doesn't take any better quality pictures, is only slightly faster, I hate the bigger screen, the lightening connector is hell for all the 30 pin accessories and I personally like the all glass more than the aluminum Plus there isn't anything the 5 can do that the 4S can't.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2